Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: propane tank owb  (Read 12923 times)

dhibbs75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
propane tank owb
« on: March 18, 2011, 08:39:15 PM »

Just bought 2 propane tanks tonight....   One 500 gal tank   36 in diameter and 50 gal 24 in diameter tank and this one is full.... going to mount it in my pickup till its empty converting it to propane this weekend.... Some propane in the big tank also.....  Now Ive got to design my setup......I think Ill want a bigger fire box than 24 in.... It is 48 in deep.....  I might use the 500 gal for the fire box and build the water tank out of 1/4 plate...   Does any body have any designs opinions for this set up????

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Re: propane tank owb
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 06:51:15 AM »

Your tank selection should suit you just fine IF you don't mind loading twice/day and sometimes three when it's very cold. I built two boilers 4 years ago using 24 inch for burn chamber (.375 ductile iron well pipe) 4 feet long with baffle 4 inches from rear and 4.5 inches off bottom. The boiler was 36 inch (.250 well pipe) and 5 feet long. The doors are 24 inches and are water cooled. We wish now that we would have made them gasifiers. I've since bought a used gasifier(in Junuary) and found out first hand how much less wood they actually burn.  There are so many variables involved when doing a project like this, such as house sq. ft., windows(single or double), ceiling height, insulation, distance from house, type of insulated pipe used, etc. . Using the diameter pipe you have and making it a gasifier should be about a perfect size for the average house. Do yourself a favor and make sure and buy the very best underground pipe you can find. I'm not a big CB fan, but I think they carry about the best insulated pipe on the market, but it isn't cheap. I think I paid about $13/ft. four years ago. I am on my way to start my next new project(a gasifier twice the size of my Empyre) right now. Wife is not real happy about that. Good luck and keep us posted.
   Marty

Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:35:23 PM »

How big is your house and where are you located?
Unless you plan on having an ash pan I wouldn't even consider the 24" You will have to clean it a lot to keep enough space for wood.

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »

i have a 500 tank i would like to get rid of, serial number gone so they wont fill it,  was going to scrap it, what did you pay for yours
Newrichmond, Ohio

dhibbs75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »

1.Basement 1000sqft, main floor 1100sq ft, upstairs 500 sq ft..    I want to heat my attachted gararge of 900 sq ft and water...... 
2.  Far western Ky.
  I want an ash pan so I think my 24 is out of the ????

3. for both tanks $400..

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:36:33 PM »

The 24" would probably work but I think you would regret not making it bigger. You might need to fill it 3 or 4 times a day.

dhibbs75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »

I just got a water tank this week end for this project...

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 06:49:28 PM »

Just bought 2 propane tanks tonight....   One 500 gal tank   36 in diameter and 50 gal 24 in diameter tank and this one is full.... going to mount it in my pickup till its empty converting it to propane this weekend.... Some propane in the big tank also.....  Now Ive got to design my setup......I think Ill want a bigger fire box than 24 in.... It is 48 in deep.....  I might use the 500 gal for the fire box and build the water tank out of 1/4 plate...   Does any body have any designs opinions for this set up????

i agree the 500 would make a good fire box and as for welded plate for water jacket.. square corners are grat places for build up and corrosion not to mention that pressure of the ater will likley cause somw bowing if you dont brace the walls. i would go back to the scrap yard and look for a larger pipe. for your water jacket (or have your plate rolled at a shop)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

dhibbs75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

dhibbs75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 07:52:26 PM »

Im having problems trying to remeber how to post pics...   CRS syndrome......

dhibbs75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »

The water tank is 3/16 thick new steel.....Some new parts come in the box and it was left over.....   MY SCORE>>>.....Im having a hard time trying to decide exactly how to put the tank in and work effecient.........I ve drawn on the front to see how it would work and the side.....  I like the side setup plenty deep but not enough/ no water on the sides....36" fire box and 36" tank dont work good....Tank size is 70" tall x 50"  wide x 36" deep.....  With my fire box 36"x 36" and ash pan 12"x12" my water capacity is about 380 gals...   Pretty close to what I Want....  But my stack will have to come out the very back and will not be in the water at all....I plan on putting my stack down in the ash pan.....   Still working on the gasifer part....  Marbles still rolling around in the head..... :bash:

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »

With that size tank you almost need to find a way to make the firebox oval. You need water on the sides or it will boil there. I doubt it is possible to ovalize the rounded end of the tank so the only way to do it would be to cut it off and do a lot more welding.

How thick is your LP tank? If you could find something the shape of a fuel oil tank it would be a much better fit for your water jacket dimensions.

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 07:52:40 PM »

have you thought about not pushing the tank ''firebox'' all the way in ,say leave it out 4-5'' that will give you the rear of stove submerged  and alittle bit of stack exiting thru as well.why not run stack up thru water ?

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 07:24:53 AM »

i agree the 500 would make a good fire box and as for welded plate for water jacket.. square corners are grat places for build up and corrosion not to mention that pressure of the ater will likley cause somw bowing if you dont brace the walls. i would go back to the scrap yard and look for a larger pipe. for your water jacket (or have your plate rolled at a shop)

If I ever build another one, it will not have a square water box....It's a lot more welding, cutting, fitting, etc....

I am happy with mine regardless, but that was a major design mistake for the home builder....
Pages: [1] 2