Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is this normal ?  (Read 10191 times)

mikenc

• View Profile
Re: Is this normal ?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 05:58:51 PM »

150 is way to low....especially with a 15 degree diff.....so your running 135-150???? Man, turn that thing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
why would I want to turn it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Works fine the way it is.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 06:36:16 PM »

Because you are going to rot out the firebox. Most of the owb companies FINALLY realized why their boilers were rotting through in 5-6 years. It was because people were running them way to cold. The cold water causes condensation on the inside of the firebox which creates rust and rotting. Some such as central boiler require a thermostatic mixing valve which won't allow the water from the boiler to head into the house until the water temp reaches a certain temp, I think 150. Central boiler suggests that there boiler be run at 185 minimum. My heatmaster I can not change myself since the factory found it so important to keep the temps high for longevity of the boiler. Mine is 180 high and 160 low cut in. I would never run a boiler with a minimum boiler temp below 160. For the 50 dollars a year in wood that it might save you, you will cut many years off the life of your boiler. 

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 07:07:45 AM »

Allis48, it looks like pics you posted were of the back of your boiler.
Decided I would check my boiler to see how bad it is rusting by running at what a lot of people consider to low temps. Shut it down yesterday first time in 3 years. I keep fire in mine summer and winter. Heat my domestic hot water in summer.
Very little rust. Checked back front and sides. It all looked pretty good. Back seemed to have a little more than sides or front. Nothing compared to pics you posted.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:16:21 AM by mikenc »

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 09:14:18 AM »

Mike,

How do you run your stove, how many gallons does your stove hold?

The reason i ask is that this site is based on people using outside stoves with smaller water jackets.
This type of stove burns the wood (Cycles) as needed. These stoves idle quite often instead of batch
burning. The idle times causes creasote and moisture to form in the firebox and rust the firebox.

These issues are exacerbated by running the stoves at lower temperatures.

My setup holds 650 gallons (Inside my Shop) and I batch burn (2) times per day. I do run my temp
at 180 degrees but my father has almost the exact same setup and has run his at 150 for over 30yrs now.
His stove hasn't rusted out.

The statement that everyone makes about low heat and rusting the stove out isn't true in all cases and it
took me awhile to figure that out. Either way I would suggest burning at higher temperatures to keep blower in
ones house from running longer. The higher the heat difference the more btu's get transferred, this goes for
the stove as well. Somewhere around 140 degrees the stove walls stop sweating and burning becomes optimal.
Think of it like a thermostat being changed in a newer car. If the improper thermostat is added and runs the car
at a lower temperature the engine may not run as efficient.

This is just my belief and I'm not end all says all in the wood stove business.

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 12:58:31 PM »

Good afternoon fryedaddy.
My OWB is a NCB 175. It holds close to 175 gallons of water. I keep it set at 150 degrees off 135 on. The only time i go any higher is when temps drop into teens and single digits. Then i usually bump it up to 115-160.  Circulating pump to plated heat exchanger runs continually so water is always circulating through OWB.
Made some changes to boiler first year I had it.  Insulated bottom of boiler and enclosed it. Came from factory with no  insulation on bottom, hard to believe. lol. Installed better temperature controller. Modified fan, and built new fire grate. One that gave it a more uniform burn and i could use to burn coal if i wanted to. factory grate was not much in my opinion.
True AHU fan does run a little longer at lower temps but the wood i save out weighs fan running.
 I use OWB in summer to heat domestic HW. Burn scrape soft wood most of the time in summer. Poplar, Pine just whatever.
Add wood in winter twice a day. Morning and just before bed. Only add enough to keep fire until next loading time. I Try not to overload.

Best Regards,
Mike

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »

Good afternoon fryedaddy.
My OWB is a NCB 175. It holds close to 175 gallons of water. I keep it set at 150 degrees off 135 on. The only time i go any higher is when temps drop into teens and single digits. Then i usually bump it up to 115-160.  Circulating pump to plated heat exchanger runs continually so water is always circulating through OWB.
Made some changes to boiler first year I had it.  Insulated bottom of boiler and enclosed it. Came from factory with no  insulation on bottom, hard to believe. lol. Installed better temperature controller. Modified fan, and built new fire grate. One that gave it a more uniform burn and i could use to burn coal if i wanted to. factory grate was not much in my opinion.
True AHU fan does run a little longer at lower temps but the wood i save out weighs fan running.
 I use OWB in summer to heat domestic HW. Burn scrape soft wood most of the time in summer. Poplar, Pine just whatever.
Add wood in winter twice a day. Morning and just before bed. Only add enough to keep fire until next loading time. I Try not to overload.

Best Regards,
Mike
There are a few reasons why you can run your boiler at a lower temp and OP can not. 

1: Your boiler is the old style which doesn't have as good of circulation inside the water jacket. This means it is actually probably a lot hotter in most places around the firebox than it is back by the controller.

2: You don't have the water jacket around the chimney so the inside of the firebox will be running hotter.

3: You probably have a 3/8" thick firebox which will stay hotter on the firebox side since it doesn't transfer heat into the water as fast as the 1/4" that the OP's boiler has.

There are probably several more thing that also make a difference.

allis48

• OWF Brand: natures comfort
  • OWF Model: ncb250
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 05:44:01 AM »

Mine has the 3/8 firebox

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 08:37:05 PM »

Oops, I thought you had a 325G. That model only was available in 1/4". You do have the newer style with the water jacket around the chimney, don't you? Do you burns just wood or coal too?

allis48

• OWF Brand: natures comfort
  • OWF Model: ncb250
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 08:35:53 PM »

Yes it's a newer one just started the forth year. Burn a little coal on top of wood  maybe about 1-1.5 ton
Pages: 1 [2]