Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 2013 NCB-250 Convert to Coal  (Read 3728 times)

jw

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB 250
    • View Profile
2013 NCB-250 Convert to Coal
« on: January 15, 2018, 10:54:27 AM »

Wow, looks like NC board isn't very active anymore. Was hoping to get some info from the collective wisdom here.

I own a 2013 NCB250 1/4" steel version and am wanting to convert to running coal as looks like I have a cheap source from a coal mine just 10 miles away.

1) Is this even possible or is this older stove I have a "wood only" version of the stove and coal is not recommended.

2) Seems I need to get a shaker grate setup and from what I'm finding from reading online, the retro-kit for the NCB250 from NC doesn't work well. Can I just buy the NCB250-Coal model grates or do they not fit my openings on my older stove?

3) I'd understand there is a steep learning curve and lots of trial/error moving to coal but I'd like to setup so I can burn wood or coal by leaving the shaker grates in semi-permanently and knowing I'd have to adjust set points and differentials depending on my fuel source. So, anyone doing this with their NCB-250, switching back and forth or do I need to dedicate it and the setup to coal only or wood only?

Thanks much.

MD20/20

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: 325G
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 NCB-250 Convert to Coal
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 12:21:33 PM »

I've never had much luck burning coal in my 325G. I bought the shaker grates, but not very practical to "shake".
However, there was a member who was successful burning coal.
There seem to be much more interest in Heatmaster on this forum since the conventional burners, in general, are not sold much.
Central MD

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:05:04 PM »

What sort of grates do you have now? Without a shaker grate you have to bust it up with a poker but it can be done. Especially mixed with wood. If you have a fire brick grate you might risk cracking a brick while breaking up clinkers perhaps?
I've always mixed with wood when I burned some coal years ago and rarely shook my grates, just fished the clinkers out and raked the ashes around.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

artbaldoni

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175 Modified to burn coal and/or wood.
  • Continuously burning since 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »

I have a NCB-175 and am burning coal. Lots of upgrades. Homemade grate, different aquastat, added firebrick. I'm burning anthracite. Works well but takes a lot of dialing in.
Use the search function and you will find some info.
Nature's Comfort  NCB-175
Dolmar 5105 20"
Makita DCS6401 28"
1995 5/8 ton Dodge
7 x 14 10k Trailer
Bobcat 7753 w/EEL Tracks
22T Huskee Splitter
Fiskars X-27
Fiskars X-11
15 # Monster Maul
Titan 60"  Twin Cyl. Root Grapple

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 05:42:12 PM »

As mentioned above, it is pretty much impossible to burn coal with the grate that comes in the wood burner model. When I had an NCB stove and some coal, I made a new grate that worked somewhat for mixing it with wood.
Getting the shaker grate upgrade from Nature's Comfort and making better way to shake it would be a better way to go.
Even if you only get enough for the front half and don't do the mods, it would be much better than the stock grate.