Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: how does a mxing valve work?  (Read 2888 times)

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
how does a mxing valve work?
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:32:40 PM »

Is it the higher the number, the more it lets through, or the less...?  I can't remember.

Not sure of my manufacturer but it has a dial setting of 1-6
Hudson, WI

Ridgekid

Re: how does a mxing valve work?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:38:54 PM »

Dial setting? You must have a different kind.

My guess is the higher the number, the higher the temp has to be to close the bypass and let it flow into you system.

Does it feel like it's spring loaded? Tighter with the higher number?

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 06:14:22 AM »

Yeah I can't feel the spring inside for some reason... On yours, how do you know which way to turn it?
Hudson, WI

Ridgekid

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 06:50:16 AM »

Mine is a enclosed unit. Like a thermostat in a car. Opens at 150*.

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:59:19 AM »

I did not install one I have the line going directly from the outdoor unit into the indoor unit, Is the point of having it so it the outdoor unit goes off the indoor boiler will not overheat the outdoor unit?

old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Ridgekid

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 08:45:05 AM »

Its too not allow your OWF to get too cold. As other conversations noted, below 140* creates condensation in firebox, especially on cold days.

dirtryder

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »

What are you using the mixing valve for? Domestic hot water to prevent scolding? Lowering the water temp going into concrete (radiant floor heat)? To keep your boiler @ 150 degrees?
I have a screw (knob) type in my garage to prevent too hot of water into my concrete floor. If you turn it "in" (tighten)it will raise the temp of the water, loosen or "out" will cool the water down. At least that's how mine works. The best way to do it is to shoot it with the temp gun.

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 10:21:19 AM »

I'm using it for my in floor radiant heating loop.  My valve doesn't "go in or out" when I turn it either.... ::)

I think I'll just turn it all the way one way, then try it the other way and see which way makes it hotter or colder.  Then I'll know which way to adjust it.
Hudson, WI

dirtryder

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 11:06:57 AM »

I'm using it for my in floor radiant heating loop.  My valve doesn't "go in or out" when I turn it either.... ::)

I think I'll just turn it all the way one way, then try it the other way and see which way makes it hotter or colder.  Then I'll know which way to adjust it.

Well, mine really doesn't go in or out either but just the way I worded it. How bout lefty loosey (colder) righty tighty (hotter)  ::)
Also, the one I have was sent to me when I purchased all my "stuff" for install. I could not get the water hot "enough" because it was a low temp valve. There is a stop "pin" under the knob which only lets you turn it so far, I had to remove the knob, lift it off, turn past pin, set back down......then I was able to adjust it further to get my desired temp (90 degrees))