Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Adding radiant floor heating  (Read 5248 times)

mprusty2

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Adding radiant floor heating
« on: October 26, 2010, 06:56:09 AM »

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions and was hoping someone could help. I am no plumber or HVAC guy, but decided after 3 years to add 1 additional zone of radiant heat for under my kitchen.

I currently have a heatmor 100 running a water-air heat exchanger. Simply, 1" in, through heat exchanger, through pump (my pump in on return line, not sure if thats actually correct) and back out to furnace. It has been working great for 3 years, I have already run 300' of 1/2" through floor joists with heat transfer plates. I would like to simply add this 1 loop into my existing 1" lines. I am not quite sure how to get there. I am assuming I will have an additional pump on this 1/2" line. Should I tee into the 1" supply and return? Where is the correct place to add the new pump? I would like to add a thermostat to this new zone.

Again, I have everything run, just not sure how to attached all this. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Mike

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Adding radiant floor heating
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »

do some searches, i think central boiler has some diagrams that you could look at.  you'll need a zone pump and thermostat, and a water to water heat exchanger, shouldnt be to hard to do, just gotta figure out what exactly you need. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 04:22:23 PM »

also a mixingn valve as most folks dont want their  floor water running the same temp as their OWB

also a 300 foot loop is about the max for 1/2 inch pex but i think you will be ok
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:19:27 PM »

Here's how I did mine and it works great...
Hudson, WI

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:43:20 PM »

I do believe you will need a mixing valve as the boiler water temp will be too high to run under the floor.I know it would be if it was in concrete.I will be putting one in my shop when I hook my floor up to my boiler when it is done.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 08:47:37 PM »

Yeah, I'd put in a mixing valve too.  On my drawing, it's the "T" just to the right of the right green pump.  Although I don't think the mixing valve was what he is concerned with....
Hudson, WI

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 12:42:48 PM »

The mixing valve is an important part that he needs to consider when he goes to hook it all up.I was just backing up what WillieG said as he is correct on needing one.I didn't want the original poster running too hot of water under his floor and then have to add it in later. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

mprusty2

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 02:05:39 PM »

Thanks all for your help and input.  After looking over at Sketch's design, I modified his for my layout.

I am not hooked up into my hot water heater. Just into the  heat exchanger for forced air.

I'm hoping I am on the right track with this....Its been a bit frustrating at times.... :bash:

Thanks again, Mike

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »

Let me start out by saying I am by no means an expert here.  I'm still learning as I go.  Most of the stuff I learned about OWB's was from the 'net and this site, but I think your design looks good. 

I'm not sure why I drew those lines white in my drawing... it was a long time ago, but they happen to be a mixture of copper and PEX.  I think I have 1" lines everywhere except for my floor lines which are 1/2"

I would have the floor loop after the HX so that the hottest water is running through your furnace, and it will get a little cooled down by it.  That way you won't have super hot water running through your floor lines.  That's what the mixing valve is for I think, to cool down the floor lines a bit.

As far as needing a manifold, you don't really need one since you're only adding one loop, although if it was at all possible to add loops in the future, you may want to add one.

The valves I have in there are for servicing and stuff, being able to shut one part down and keep the rest going.... hope that makes sense.

Both of my zone pumps are on 24/7.  I have 2 thermostats controlling each of the furnaces, and the little electrical valves for the 3 floor zones.

"WHY DOES THIS CROSS BACK INTO RETURN?"   Yes... that is my poor drawing of a mixing vavle.

I do have some bleeder valves in my system too,  can't remember exactly where they are, but I think I have one at each furnace, and one at the floor zones or something like that.  Might not be a bad idea to use all bleeder valves if the price aint much different...?

You won't need a "fill valve" for your floor loop, that second pump and a bleeder vavle should do the trick.

Hope this helps. 

From one dummy to another....

Hudson, WI

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 10:06:34 PM »

hook up your domestic water, why wouldnt u do that?
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 01:02:40 PM »

Maybe he likes cold showers.....?
Hudson, WI