Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Installing a New CB Edge 750 HD this weekend!  (Read 10047 times)

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
Installing a New CB Edge 750 HD this weekend!
« on: October 31, 2018, 07:53:08 PM »

Been looking at CB's Edge since it came out a few years ago. Really like the added changes to the new HD. 409 stainless, easy access to all the exchangers, FireStar with built in XP wifi and steppers instead of solenoids. My dealer buddy found a buyer for my 2010 Eclassic 2400 and persuaded me to pull the trigger. We will be making the changeout this weekend. Nothing wrong with my 2400 its been flawless and I've have been totally satisfied with it, but my buddy says this one is even better with added features and easier maintenance. Will be fun to compare notes with Roger and his new 550. Time to burn!

boilerman

• View Profile
Re: Installing a New CB Edge 750 HD this weekend!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 09:22:26 PM »

New Edge up and running. Change out went smooth, water came up to temperature quickly. Will send in required water sample after 48 hours of circulation for the 25 year warranty coverage. Have not tried hooking up the xp wifi yet. My techie son said he will come by tomorrow night and help connect up. Will keep you posted after getting a couple of days operation under my belt to compare it with my E2400.

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 03:08:36 AM »

New Edge up and running. Change out went smooth, water came up to temperature quickly. Will send in required water sample after 48 hours of circulation for the 25 year warranty coverage. Have not tried hooking up the xp wifi yet. My techie son said he will come by tomorrow night and help connect up. Will keep you posted after getting a couple of days operation under my belt to compare it with my E2400.

Congratulations!  I know you'll like it, especially the wifi connection. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

boilerman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 08:12:57 PM »

XP wifi up and running. Connected easily to my router. I've attached a screenshot of XP chart. Seems to run very similiar to my 2400. Fan shuts off at 185 and water temp overshoots by 4-5 degrees just from the intense burn and coals which is about the same as my 2400 at current 30 degree temperatures. Will probably overshoot less once get more of a winter heat load on it. No problem. Very stingy on wood usage, best guess is pretty similar to the 2400, but can better compare when gets colder. Firebox seems to be burning a little drier than the 2400 and burn recovery time may be quicker. My wood all has been seasoned for about a year which I've been ahead on now for many years, so getting nice reaction chamber temps of 1,000 - 1,400 degrees each burn cycle.

boilerman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 11:15:30 AM »

Update - Up and running for a week now. Firebox seems to be burning much drier than Eclassic. Very little if any creosote buildup on air channels or air holes. Burn cycles seem to recover water temperature faster too. Very pleased.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 01:49:07 PM »

Update - Up and running for a week now. Firebox seems to be burning much drier than Eclassic. Very little if any creosote buildup on air channels or air holes. Burn cycles seem to recover water temperature faster too. Very pleased.

:thumbup:  I saw the same thing this morning when I cleaned mine for the 1st time in weeks of operation.  What stood out to me was how easily the creosote, if there was any, scrapes off the stainless as opposed to carbon steel.  The only hiccup I had experienced this morning was when I went to remove the panel that's below the firebox door, the center castle nut was crossed threaded when they assembled it and it was a bear to remove.  I'll have to replace the bolt and nut the next time I clean her.  Other than that, it is by far a simpler boiler to maintain. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 06:01:17 AM »

:thumbup:  I saw the same thing this morning when I cleaned mine for the 1st time in weeks of operation.  What stood out to me was how easily the creosote, if there was any, scrapes off the stainless as opposed to carbon steel.  The only hiccup I had experienced this morning was when I went to remove the panel that's below the firebox door, the center castle nut was crossed threaded when they assembled it and it was a bear to remove.  I'll have to replace the bolt and nut the next time I clean her.  Other than that, it is by far a simpler boiler to maintain.

It might not have been cross threaded. I've found that sometimes creosote works its way into the threads and locks them together. I've broke a few off myself. Luckily their a standard size you can find at a hardware store.

If you get another one that sticks, use a propane or mapp gas torch to heat the nut and burn off the creosote. This usually loosens them right up. Then use a little high temp anti-sieze when you reassemble and they should come out easier the next time.  :thumbup:
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 12:08:58 PM »

It might not have been cross threaded. I've found that sometimes creosote works its way into the threads and locks them together. I've broke a few off myself. Luckily their a standard size you can find at a hardware store.

If you get another one that sticks, use a propane or mapp gas torch to heat the nut and burn off the creosote. This usually loosens them right up. Then use a little high temp anti-sieze when you reassemble and they should come out easier the next time.  :thumbup:

I never gave high temp antiseize a thought.  Thanks for the tip!  As for the castle nut and bolt; no big deal, the next time at one of the box stores or hardware store I'll grab a few stainless steel bolts and castle nuts to have on hand.  Plus, I need to purchase a ratchet wrench and socket to live at the OWB only.   Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

boilerman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 08:50:42 PM »

My Edge 750HD is still running perfectly for 6 weeks now. Very little creosote building up on the air channels. Nothing but a little fine dust in the rear access heat exchangers. I have no intention of taking off the primary elbow or pulling the air channel panels until the end of the heating season. Small amount of ash scooped out of reaction chamber. Very easy to do through both the front and now rear access doors. The wifi XP is a great feature and chart looks great. I attached a shot of the dashboard  and chart so you can see what it looks like.

boilerman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 05:43:57 PM »

My Edge has now been running for 11 weeks and I'm totally impressed with how easy it is to run and more forgiving on coalbed depth. As long as I keep the coals below the firebox side and front air holes and push the rod through the coals once a day, that is about all I have to do. About every 3 weeks I remove 3-4 small square faced shovels of powder ash out of reaction chamber through the front and rear access. Nothing but a little light powdery ash on the rear exhangers. That hinged rear access door sure eliminates the rear exchanger cleaning issue knock that most gassers have had over the years. Still no creosote buildup on the side or front air channels inside as it seems to just burn off. As previously stated, the stainless seems to operate much drier. My intent is still to not pull off the primary elbow or channel covers until spring shut down unless performance says I need to. Continuing to get 1,000+ reaction chamber temps every burn cycle. Even with colder temps it does not seem to be burning any more wood than previous. At current usage I should have wood from my estimated 2018 allotment carrying over for next season. I could not live without the XP wifi after having it on my smart phone showing me current temps and history charts. It becomes addicting and almost like a game trying for new high reaction chamber temps and performance charts! Will keep you posted as we go through the 2nd half of the heating season.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 05:31:48 AM »

My Edge has now been running for 11 weeks and I'm totally impressed with how easy it is to run and more forgiving on coalbed depth. As long as I keep the coals below the firebox side and front air holes and push the rod through the coals once a day, that is about all I have to do. About every 3 weeks I remove 3-4 small square faced shovels of powder ash out of reaction chamber through the front and rear access. Nothing but a little light powdery ash on the rear exhangers. That hinged rear access door sure eliminates the rear exchanger cleaning issue knock that most gassers have had over the years. Still no creosote buildup on the side or front air channels inside as it seems to just burn off. As previously stated, the stainless seems to operate much drier. My intent is still to not pull off the primary elbow or channel covers until spring shut down unless performance says I need to. Continuing to get 1,000+ reaction chamber temps every burn cycle. Even with colder temps it does not seem to be burning any more wood than previous. At current usage I should have wood from my estimated 2018 allotment carrying over for next season. I could not live without the XP wifi after having it on my smart phone showing me current temps and history charts. It becomes addicting and almost like a game trying for new high reaction chamber temps and performance charts! Will keep you posted as we go through the 2nd half of the heating season.

boilerman - I too am seeing the samething with my Edge 550.  There are a couple of pictures on facebook where previous owners of the 550's have not bothered to check the heat exchangers and you can see what happens when a person neglects or uses the wrong approach to burning wood in a gasser.  A couple of them were plugged.  It's believed that the previous owners either used extremely wet wood, not letting it burn hot enough, or some other factors that caused it.  That rear door really makes it simple to clean that heat exchanger.  Every 2 weeks, whether she needs it or not I clean the reaction chamber of the flay ash and run a boiler brush through the fins of the heat exchanger.  It's only fine dust but I want that thing as clean as possible to get the best exchange I can get.  Like you, I too love the XP wifi on my cell phone.  It is definitely addicting.  :)    Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

boilerman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 08:52:27 PM »

Update - Here we are on March 11, still cold and still snowing. My Edge continues to perform without any hiccups. Reaction chamber temps on my XP chart continues to show 1,000-1,200 degree temps each burn cycle. I still have found no need to pull or check my primary elbow or behind any air channels inside the firebox. Just brush a little light dust out of the rear heat exchanger through the rear hinge door every 3 weeks when I shovel out some ash powder from the reaction chamber. Love this furnace and couldn't be easier. Looking forward to calling it the end of the heating season though. Been a long cold and snowy winter. Will then remove the primary elbow and firebox channel covers for the first time and see if there is anything behind them. Will continue to keep you posted.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 03:41:03 AM »

Update - Here we are on March 11, still cold and still snowing. My Edge continues to perform without any hiccups. Reaction chamber temps on my XP chart continues to show 1,000-1,200 degree temps each burn cycle. I still have found no need to pull or check my primary elbow or behind any air channels inside the firebox. Just brush a little light dust out of the rear heat exchanger through the rear hinge door every 3 weeks when I shovel out some ash powder from the reaction chamber. Love this furnace and couldn't be easier. Looking forward to calling it the end of the heating season though. Been a long cold and snowy winter. Will then remove the primary elbow and firebox channel covers for the first time and see if there is anything behind them. Will continue to keep you posted.

boilerman - I'm glad to see that you are happy with your purchase and not experiencing any problems.  I had a couple of minor hiccups with mine.  One was the low water sensor needed replacing; I got a low water alarm on my iPhone.  The old one was made of plastic and it had broke, I changed it for a new one which is stainless steel, it was covered under warranty, and that took care of the problem.  The other was I received a high water temp alarm on my iPhone.  It was due to the spring that's connected to the elbow cap, the end of it snagged the steel structure to which the stepper motor connects and it prevented it from landing flat on the elbow opening.  I made a small adjustment to it and it's been running great since.  I think it was somewhere in February that I checked the elbows and air channels for any creosote.  There was only a minor amount, maybe an 1/8 of an inch so I removed it and put everything back together.  Every 2 weeks I clear the reaction chamber of fly ash, I run the brush through the Hx while I have the access door open.  I also remove the end cap from the chimney "T" and remove any fly ash buildup from there.  The only problem I'm having is one I inflict; with the outdoor temperatures increasing, I have keep reminding myself not to put so much wood in the firebox but that's a hard habit to break.  Yesterday I put far too much in it so for the overnight I only put in 6 pieces, looking at the firestar she's till going strong.  It'll be maybe another month before I shut her down for the off season.  I'll be sure to report back what I find, or rather what I don't find.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

boilerman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 07:39:28 PM »

Hey Roger, how did your end of season cleanup go? I forgot to give my end of 1st season update. Bottom line very impressed with my Edge 750HD. Very easy to use, operate and clean. Easily achieved 1,000+ degree burn temps each cycle which seemed to keep creosote accumualtion to a minimum. Never had more than a fine powdery coating on the rear exchangers which are easily seen and accessed by opening the rear hinged door. Taking out the side air channels for end of season cleanup (only time I removed all heating season) was very easy, again some powder accumulation and back right corner had a little creosote buildup that easily scraped out. Probably because I neglected the back corners a little, but not enough to effect perfomance. The new stepper motors worked great and I had almost no creosote built up in the bottom of those elbows. So right now she is scraped out, cleaned out, vacuumed out, put back together and has a bucket over the chimney and ready to go next season. I would have to give it a 10 out of 10 on a rating scale. Did everything I expected and great improvement on maintenance requirements over the Eclassic. I had no controller or water level float switch problems with mine, but my dealer buddy did recommend I swap out my plastic float switch for the new stainless float switch they use now during the off season.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 05:45:36 PM »

Hey Roger, how did your end of season cleanup go? I forgot to give my end of 1st season update. Bottom line very impressed with my Edge 750HD. Very easy to use, operate and clean. Easily achieved 1,000+ degree burn temps each cycle which seemed to keep creosote accumualtion to a minimum. Never had more than a fine powdery coating on the rear exchangers which are easily seen and accessed by opening the rear hinged door. Taking out the side air channels for end of season cleanup (only time I removed all heating season) was very easy, again some powder accumulation and back right corner had a little creosote buildup that easily scraped out. Probably because I neglected the back corners a little, but not enough to effect perfomance. The new stepper motors worked great and I had almost no creosote built up in the bottom of those elbows. So right now she is scraped out, cleaned out, vacuumed out, put back together and has a bucket over the chimney and ready to go next season. I would have to give it a 10 out of 10 on a rating scale. Did everything I expected and great improvement on maintenance requirements over the Eclassic. I had no controller or water level float switch problems with mine, but my dealer buddy did recommend I swap out my plastic float switch for the new stainless float switch they use now during the off season.

Boilerman, The cleaning easily took only 1/3 of the time as it did for eclassic.  The only place I'm unable to reach is the far back wall.  I have neck and back issues which is preventing me from getting myself in the back to scrape it.  I'm seriously thinking of hiring someone to scrape it for me.   As for the air channels, I had about 1/8 inch of creosote buildup in them but it scraped out very easy.  I think the problem I have is the diameter of the wood is larger than what I think it likes causing a cooler refire that leads to creosote. But I simply do not have time to split it smaller.  The one other thing I haven't done is oil the blower motor.  I would give the 550 HD a 9 out of 10 due to the original controller being faulty and needing to be replaced and the water level sensor failure.  Credit to Central Boiler; they came through when I reported the problems, other than the few minutes it took to swap them out, it didn't cost me anything.  Other than that she operated flawlessly.  I am very impressed with it.   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire
Pages: [1] 2