Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wood cutting time  (Read 4167 times)

Ohiowood

• OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: E-classic1400
    • View Profile
Wood cutting time
« on: July 21, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »

How long does it take you guys to enough for the winter? For the OWB.

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
Re: Wood cutting time
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »

Lots of variables in that question, I am going to guess it takes me an hour per week of 20 degree weather to cut, move, and stack.  So about 50hours of so, this might be way off never timed it.
North Central Ohio

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:33:43 PM »

Yes, way too many variables to answer that question.  But, I will give you an example mainly because I just cut some last night.  I had a storm-downed oak, 36" diameter at the base, that i tackled with my dad last night.  Took us about 3 hours to get 1.5 cords out of it.  The rest I will get by myself this week and that will probably take me 3 more hours alone to get the other 1.5 cords.  So, about 9 manhours to get 3 cords out of a downed tree. Plus another manhour to unload the trailer.  Maybe another manhour to split the bigger stuff.  Didn't load anything smaller than 4" in diameter and won't split anything smaller than 10" in diameter.  I'd say for a downed tree we spent about 4 manhours per cord.  Some may be faster.  Some slower. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:13:45 AM »

16 to 20 hours cutting and moving, 20 hours to split and stack for about 10 to 12 cord a year. most of the time me and another helper but  not always. The savings pays me 60 - 75 dollars an hour or more if I work faster and I keep the house much warmer than I did on oil or propane:)

Jcl

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 12:38:30 AM »

about 4 hours per cord for me from turning the key on the new  Holland  tractor.    driving about 1/4 to 1/2 mile in the woods cutting down 4-6 trees dragging them to landing cutting them up to 12' length running threw processor into dump truck then stacking in pile and waking in house .   my normal sat april -may
wood doctor He5000
Block buster wood processior
Jd 855 backhoe

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »

All depends on whether we are cleaning fencerows and mostly dealing with small stuff or are dealing with real trees.

I cheat as well, if we are slow I'll have the help running a couple of saws while I carry anything up worth cutting with the grapple on the skid steer. Big stuff gets piled separately until I have enough of a pile to spent an afternoon splitting it all with a skid steer mounted splitter.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 05:44:18 AM »

My schedule is a lot like Jcl's, I work on mine mainly in the spring as soon as the snow will melt enough to let me get in the woods easily. Usually on weekends and a few weeknights, in this way it seems like it takes weeks but overall I don't hit it hard on any one particular day, saves on my old back!

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 06:36:29 AM »

The other thing I've learned in my second season, is there is "easy gettin' wood" and "hard gettin' wood."  Hard gettin' wood is that beautiful healthy red oak that blew down 100' inside the fence line.  But, you have to cut the fence, pull posts, cut down and buck 4 little trees, get the splitter back there, and load the wood out in the back of your truck in 3 trips, then transfer to a trailer on the lane, then haul it home, unload and stack it in place.  Easy getting wood is the guy that calls and says "hey, i just cut up this tree, you want it?  It's right next to the road."  And then all you do is load it on the trailer and take it home!  Same amount of wood, only one load too 10 hours and the other took 2!  Last year I had a BUNCH of easy gettin', this year, not so much!!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 07:41:09 AM »

The other thing I've learned in my second season, is there is "easy gettin' wood" and "hard gettin' wood."  Hard gettin' wood is that beautiful healthy red oak that blew down 100' inside the fence line.  But, you have to cut the fence, pull posts, cut down and buck 4 little trees, get the splitter back there, and load the wood out in the back of your truck in 3 trips, then transfer to a trailer on the lane, then haul it home, unload and stack it in place.  Easy getting wood is the guy that calls and says "hey, i just cut up this tree, you want it?  It's right next to the road."  And then all you do is load it on the trailer and take it home!  Same amount of wood, only one load too 10 hours and the other took 2!  Last year I had a BUNCH of easy gettin', this year, not so much!!

I hear that, I bought a old International pickup years ago just for the PTO operated winch on the front, a lot easier to drag the tree out in the open and work on it.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana