Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: WATER Treatment for Furances with 304 Stainless Vs Furnaces with 409 Stainless??  (Read 9026 times)

overrunwithsons

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

Hello:  We have not decided totally which Outdoor Boiler to buy just yet, a toss between a Hardy (304 stainless ) and a HeatMore (409 Stainless) or maybe even a Taylor , but what I need to understand is What all is required for the water you fill these things with?  It sounds like with the Hardy, if you have any kind of salt water, it can CRACK your furnace, and all other chemicals are harmless, and with the other 409 stainless, it sounds like it needs regular water treatments of some sort?  I know it will need at least 180 gallons to fill when we buy one, i did not want to have to buy 180 gallons of store bought water for this.   Can someone give me some info on what your Boiler requires for chemical treatment, etc.  How often, the cost, what you have to buy, can you buy it from a regular store like Lowes, Home Depot, or must you buy from the Boiler manufacturer??   Thanks so much.   ???

NC4AB

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Brinkley Electronics

As far as the Hardy, the only issue for water treatment is making sure the chlorine levels are below 15 parts per million and your stove will last a very long time. 

My FIL's Hardy is 17 years old, the neighbor's Hardy is 19 years old.  I just picked a used Hardy up, it is ~ 19 years old and the fire box looks fine.   

Andy
Andy
--------------------------------------------
Hardy H2 (1987)
Stihl 011
Stihl 028
Stihl 039

overrunwithsons

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile

For the Hardy, does that mean if you use City water anywhere, that water is fine, and just stay away from Water softener water?  We have a water softener, it does not work effeintly and needs replaced, has been for years, sometimes water is too salty and other times it is not even working, but we want to get this furnace first.   OR can I use water directly from the well -before the softener, I know it is really really "Hard" water?    And you live in Noth Caralina, probably doesnt get too cold there.  Your winters are surely shorter than ours in PA.  I know the Hardy's seem to have a good repuatation, but it seems most are used in Milder climates.  I also want to use Coal in mine.    We just can't decide what to buy.   

NC4AB

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Brinkley Electronics

Hardy recommends using distilled water or rain water to stay away from any chlorine.  Over time chlorine can cause stress cracking in the 304 SS.   Other than using low chlorine water there is no water treatment needed.

I spent about 18 months looking at OWB, you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out which one is the best for the $$$.  I wound up finding a used Hardy at a good price and am in the process of installing it.  If I had not found the Hardy I was seriuosly looking at the HeatmasterSS MF-5000, it handled larger wood and looked to be a good value for the $$$.

Andy
--------------------------------------------
Hardy H2 (1987)
Stihl 011
Stihl 028
Stihl 039