Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Oh Crap, Water in my underground lines  (Read 8799 times)

Chicken farmer

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Oh Crap, Water in my underground lines
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 05:07:40 PM »

It will be interesting to see who actually did the install. Was it Ridgewood Factory, or Ridgewood dealer. I have a hard time believing the factory would allow such an install. I also have to agree with Chas. Ridgewood has been nothing but awesome in customer service. Now if one of the dealers did the install, Craig has no control over that.
30 yrs burning wood - new to the boiler scene
Midwestern Ohio

intensedrive

• OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »

Good question, I have no idea why it wasn't.  I had probably 60 foot underground

Oh boy, what a way to start the day, first the spammers are back again and then this, sorry to hear of your troubles intensedrive, how much pipe length do you have underground? I may be seeing it wrong, is this where the pipe is going into the back of the boiler? Why would the outer she'll be cut so low to the ground and not capped off?

intensedrive

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 05:22:34 PM »

It was installed by a guy Craig recommended.  Basically he was installing Ridgewood stoves in my area.  Basically he delivered and installed the stove.  I'm only 2 hours from Ridgewood Factory.   When I wrote the check for the boiler and install it was one check to Ridgewood.

It will be interesting to see who actually did the install. Was it Ridgewood Factory, or Ridgewood dealer. I have a hard time believing the factory would allow such an install. I also have to agree with Chas. Ridgewood has been nothing but awesome in customer service. Now if one of the dealers did the install, Craig has no control over that.

kommandokenny

• OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • smokem if ya gottem NEAR NORTH ONTARIO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 05:24:02 PM »

I can't tell from the picture,, but did water enter your basement through these lines??
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
Echo CS 310 [grandaughters]
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

fsuftball

• OWF Brand: ridgewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 05:58:40 PM »

i have the same stove and same underground pipe.

I installed my pipe myself and we had a huge rain also and mine leaked into my basement. I filled the opening with spray foam and dug up the trench at the lowest spot and cut a slit in it to release all the water. my fault but mine is only 25 feet worth of under ground pipe

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 06:15:50 PM »

Are there any tight bends in it? If not, I would disconnect both ends and pull the insulation / pex assembly out and let it dry out. After it is all dried up, put it back in and put the end caps on this time so it doesn't happen again.

intensedrive

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 10:19:33 PM »

I think So, I have a old field stone farm basement so its always wet this time of year.  I can't see the water from the top entry of the pipe anymore.  I'm sure there is still a bunch of standing water underground.

I can't tell from the picture,, but did water enter your basement through these lines??

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 04:11:50 AM »

RSI, do you think the outer shell would hold up without crushing, I'm thinking it's a lost cause!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 05:12:02 AM »

I agree with you slim. Maybe you would be able to pull it out but I don't see it being possible to fish it back through.
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 05:28:39 AM »

Most field tile is tougher than you think, we routinely walk on it in the trench during installation for drainage purposes.

Tie a rope to the one end before pulling it out so you rope is already in place to pull it back thru.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 09:57:04 AM »

RSI, do you think the outer shell would hold up without crushing, I'm thinking it's a lost cause!
If the insulation and pipe will slide in the outer pipe then it will not crush. If was going to crush then it would already have and the insulation and pipe will be wedged in place. (if it doesn't slide, it doesn't mean that it is crushed, it could just have a tight bend)

Before trying to pull it out of the outer tube, I would tape the pipes to the insulation real good. The pex is not attached to the insulation at all so if you just pull on them, they will come right out and you will never get back inside the insulation.

Before doing anything though, I would try to get whoever installed it to replace it.

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 09:23:03 PM »

hard to tell  from pic ...sad chit

intensedrive

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 01:03:00 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions, it really is a sad scenario.  Days after the water entered my underground lines it would take 30 minutes to increase my house temp a degree, mind you the boiler was running 180.  Over the days the boiler has performed a bit better as I'm sure most has dumped into my basement.  I'm going to call ridgewood in hope they will at least pull my lines if that is possible.  Did they use the wrong corrugated pipe?  Like most I'm afraid it is crushed under the pressure of the dirt. Please offer me some clues what seems wrong with the insulation so I have more ammunition during conversation.  Installer did replace my boiler in October because of all the paint.  I watched them during the draining process and the helper had all the water draining right into my underground pipes, I told him to stop.  The lead installer saw and also told him to stop, and attached a hose.  At that time I didn't realize the pipe should have been sealed, figured normal install, these guys are pros.  After watching the heavy rain pour into my lines I quickly realized this is not right, and from reading all the forums realized I cant heat underground water it will zap my performance.  The 1,000 dollar install did not include trenching, so I spent 2 days digging my deep hole.  I did bury by the trench myself, they did put dirt on the closer part of the boiler,  I'm assuming to stable the pipe.  I was not instructed in any manner to seal the pipe.  I feel so cheated,  my anger has left me...two installers and not once mention of potential issue with the underground pipe.  I have too much stress in my life from business,  every time I think about how much I have screwed over by this company I want to rage.   I don't want revenge on his company I just want a correct install!... Will Craig the owner see  it my way?  I know I'm your average install I pay for wood and love a warm house.  Well I'm more informed now, how many installs have resulted in flooded pipes?  burning more wood?  You endorsed the installer.  What I have found from the new installer the old one was a piece of dog@#!.  Yet the new installer did not inform me of bad install.  These installers were recommended by the owner, yet to serve me wrong.  I go from paint in my lines to water.... Good Grief I hope know one experiences this ever!.  You are good people and thank you for all the constructive replies.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 06:42:46 AM »

In defense of Ridgewood, its not always possible for an owner of a business to check up on the contracted installers. Could be the guy felt confident with his position with the company and decided to start cutting corners to make himself a little extra.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Brad

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »

In defense of Ridgewood, its not always possible for an owner of a business to check up on the contracted installers. Could be the guy felt confident with his position with the company and decided to start cutting corners to make himself a little extra.
It will be up to the owner to make things right.  He will be judged on how he handles this situation going forward.  Any good business man will make things right. Sounds like he has taken care of things in the past so hopefully this will continue and this will be dealt with correctly.
Aitkin, Minnesota
Pages: 1 [2] 3