Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Heatsource1 is no more  (Read 12843 times)

Raven

• View Profile
Heatsource1 is no more
« on: August 11, 2011, 06:38:30 AM »

According to a supplier I know, Heatsource1 closed their doors yesterday, August 10th.   Another casualty of the economy and EPA regulations  :(

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Re: Heatsource1 is no more
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:44:34 PM »

Any Heatsource 1 Dealers out there to verify the validity of above post?
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 07:47:01 PM »

true-story here. cut and paste.    http://www.kndyradio.com/index.php?option=com_newsfeeds&view=newsfeed&id=15&Itemid=109
Owner Blames EPA for Business Closure

Since 1997, Setzer’s manufacturing and HeatSource 1 in Beatrice will discontinue the manufacturing of their outdoor wood furnaces immediately.

According to a press release issued by the Setzers, HeatSource 1 will close due to a recent ruling by the Environmental Protection Agency which deemed the testing method of outdoor wood furnaces flawed. As a result, manufacturers of wood furnaces are now required to redesign and retest any wood furnace which they manufacture, at their own expense.

EPA began regulating omissions from outdoor wood furnaces in 2007. According to Setzers HeatSource 1 had its furnaces tested by an accredited lab, at a cost of more than $150,000, and received some of the best readings of any furnace ever built. She noted the cost of redesigning and retesting furnaces to meet the EPA’s new requirements would be hundreds of thousands of dollars. Setzers say that combined with the slow economy it is not feasible to continue manufacturing the stoves.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:48:41 PM by tulenutn2o »

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 08:06:19 PM »

big oil wins again.?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 09:34:33 PM »

I think big money (oil company's) truly do win this time. A good friend of mine retired a few years ago, and he had decided long before he retired that he would build 6 or 8 OWB's per year to supplement his retirement. It went well for him for a few years until last year when he had a couple of customers who ordered boilers tell him that the banks would not loan them money to buy one unless it was UL listed. Their only alternatives were either take out personal loans at a 13-16% rate or cancel their orders. They cancelled their orders. He was stuck with two nearly completed boilers that he had nearly $7000.00 into. He finally sold them, and has since quit building them. He has, however, moved on to another venture that is a lot less work and does not require such a significant chunk of his SS check to accomplish. He had a conspiracy theory-actually two of them- that either one of the OWB manufacturers turned him in, or the oil company's were controlling the banks. No one knows what actually happened, but someone won and it wasn't him!

Marty   
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

shawbran

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Jayhawk Pex Supply
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 05:12:15 PM »

After reading this article today I called up Setzer Manufacturing and asked if I would still be able to get parts if my stove happened to quit.  The receptionist advised that I had called Setzer's and that they didn't deal in Heatsource or have anything to do with them.  I said well  that is funny because your both at the same address.  She again advised that they knew nothing about the stoves and that she would take my name and number and have someone who is handling the situation to call me.  I asked did you ever deal in Heatsource stoves and she stated that she didn't know what I was talking about.

Since 1997, Setzer’s Manufacturing and HeatSource 1 have operated jointly in Beatrice under the ownership of Mark and Kathy Setzer.

On Wednesday, the Setzers announced that HeatSource 1, a manufacturer of outdoor wood furnaces, will be discontinued effectively immediately.

According to a press release issued by the Setzers, the closure of HeatSource 1 comes after a recent ruling by the Environmental Protection Agency which deemed the testing method of outdoor wood furnaces flawed.

As a result, manufacturers of wood furnaces are now required to redesign and retest any wood furnace which they manufacture, at their own expense.

“With this, and a very bad economy, HeatSource 1 will discontinue its manufacturing activities,” the press release stated.

In 2007, the EPA originally began regulating omissions from outdoor wood furnaces. At the time, Kathy Setzer said HeatSource 1 had its furnaces tested by an accredited lab, at a cost of more than $150,000, and received some of the best readings of any furnace ever built. She noted the cost of redesigning and retesting furnaces to meet the EPA’s new requirements would be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

“We’ve known it for a long time that the EPA is really destroying the country,” Mark Setzer said. ”Any manufacturer that you talk to that is moving overseas or shutting down their business, it’s because of EPA and government requirements.

“This is something I started in a small shop, designed it, manufactured it. We had hundreds of dealers around the United States,” Mark Setzer said. “A lot of families sold this, that was their income. As of today, that’s all done. There’s about 22 manufacturers of this type of product across the United States. A lot of them are going out of it like we are.”

Kathy Setzer reiterated that Setzer’s Manufacturing, in business since 1973, will continue its metal fabrication, powder coating and abrasive/soda blasting.

The company currently has 12 employees and Setzer said that number will not decrease.

In fact, she anticipates that the company will be hiring additional help in the near future as it expands its manufacturing and fabrication lines. Setzer said a new product line will also be introduced in approximately two weeks.

“No one is losing their job,” Kathy Setzer said. “We are extremely busy.”

For customers who have recently purchased an outdoor wood furnace, the closure of HeatSource 1 means those furnaces will no longer be covered by a warranty.

“They still have a very quality product,” Kathy Setzer said. “They do not have a warranty as Heatsource 1 is no longer in operation.”

“We have no other recourse,” Mark Setzer added. “We spent between $150,000 to $200,000 on the test a year and a half ago and now they’re saying we  have to run the test again. You can’t fight the EPA, they go by their own guidelines. It’s take it or leave it, in our case we’re leaving it.”

Read more: http://www.beatricedailysun.com/news/local/article_ca6f53dc-c3c2-11e0-8c23-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1UrJdPqp7

tulenutn2o

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 07:12:07 PM »

I suspect big oil, the EPA, and the government. The little guys(you and I) take it in the shorts once again, not only from the government( I can't say it's mine, cause I did not order this), but from this manufacturer that builds a bunch of stoves and throws in the towel prematurely to avoid any warranty issues. Does not anyone stand behind their word anymore?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 07:39:56 PM »

i was thiinking along the same line about warranty..\ok you quit building the stove and shut down that division but you are otherwise still in business. \you don't build the  stove any longer but when you did you supplied the buyer with a warranty. so any old stoves that you sold no longer have a warranty? Wow!  i guess it is the old 30 feet or 30 seconds, what ever comes first
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

DmdJoe

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 07:57:23 AM »

Yes, HeatSource 1 is gone. We were the supplier of the Boiler Corrosion Inhibitor for HeatSource 1.

I want any HeatSource 1 users to know even though your warranty is discontinued, if you are using our Boiler Chemical, we can assure you your system will be protected against corrosion.The boiler chemical is a Nitrite based product that has other components to protect all metals against corrosion.

Since you do not have anyone to send a water sample to follow these steps:

1) The product only needs to be replaced out every 4 to 7 years. 
2) Maintain a pink residual in your water.  If is light pink you have enough pH, Nitrite, and other other components will cycle up.
3) If the water loses it's pink appearance, you still may have enough Nitrite. Most likely you evaporated pure H20 off and added fresh water.  In this case, you can use basic Nitrite Test Strips to verify you have enough chemical in the system.
4) Overfeeding will have no adverse effect on the metals.

The chemistry is the best for this application and we have 10,000 + units using the chemical with NO complaints.

I set up a page where you can order direct. Enter Promo Code "HeatSource" for 10% off your order.  Please email or call us if you have any questions about maintaining proper boiler chemistry.

You can order the product at:

http://www.boilerchemicals.com/HeatSource-1-s/184.htmHeatSource 1

This chemical is a no brainer when it comes to water treatment. All our contact info is listed on the site.

Joe Zajac
QualiChem Technologies
Owner

Bill

• Training Wheels
  • Heatsource 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 08:44:45 AM »

Just got a Notice in the mail Friday that they are filing bancuptcy. 

tulenutn2o

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 06:26:30 PM »

Yeah, me too. I do believe that they probably had this in mind from the get go. Be sure and stay clear of the rest of their products and services from setzer mfg. Let them know just how displeased you really are.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 06:43:47 AM »

They probably did this just for the protection and to get out of the warranty.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

jdlieland

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 02:57:18 PM »

Yea I got my bankruptcy papers too from the courts. Don't sup-prize me any, they gave me the run around so many times on my leaking heat source 1.  Finally fixed it myself. Now I have a loud metal popping sound coming from mine after it reaches temp, never has done it in the last 5 years, any Ideas?
Jeff
Heat source 1
Stihl 362 pro
Stihl 192 pro
Husqu Rancher
Kabota 4510
kubota Rtv
68 acre farm
45acres wooded.
hedge and hardwoods.
Southern Ind

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »

Yea I got my bankruptcy papers too from the courts. Don't sup-prize me any, they gave me the run around so many times on my leaking heat source 1.  Finally fixed it myself. Now I have a loud metal popping sound coming from mine after it reaches temp, never has done it in the last 5 years, any Ideas?
Jeff
It might be a crack inside the firebox. I used to have a Pacific Western that was also 409ss and when it was cracked it would bang like crazy. It was so loud sometimes it sounded like someone was beating on it with a splitting maul. The leak was slow enough that the water steamed away before it gt down to the bottom.
I would look around inside for a clean area.