Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Start of ultra high efficiency gasifier boiler build  (Read 16734 times)

peacmar

• View Profile
Start of ultra high efficiency gasifier boiler build
« on: August 21, 2012, 07:58:38 PM »

****The following images are the property*****
Of Peachy Custom Stainless, they are not to be reproduced or reused for any other reason than personal use or learning purposes. They are not to be used for for financial gain, scaling or design purposes, or any other purpose other than descriptive of the objects displayed. Any use must be authorized by written permissions given by Peachy Custom Stainless. Any design resemblance to any existing product is purely coincidental and only a direct result of common manufacturing processes and all ideas hereafter are the sole property of Peachy Custom Stainless.

Well the sky is the limit here, going to have a secondary condensing heat exchanger after I have it running and can collect some data to use for design. Initially it will be a forced draft but once the condensor is functioning it will be induced draft.

Primary chamber formed up and tacked to formed up secondary chamber

Back view primary tacked to secondary. by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

Back welded on, air inlet plasma cut out of both chambers and exchanger pipe lower box tacked on.

IMAG0943 by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

Exchanger plate punched and welded in place. 8 tubes, 2.375" od with .140" wall at 40" long. The plate is 1/4" thick, knocked it out on a strippit cnc punch on my lunch break.

IMAG0944.jpg by Quicksilver99, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:21:24 AM by peacmar »

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Start of ultra high efficiency gasifier boiler
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:52:16 PM »

Looks good. I wish I could weld that nice. :thumbup:

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »

Thanks on that, I've got a few years under my belt ;D

The welding is the easy part, calculating bend tolerances, material lost, material gained, inside dimension, outside dimension, that's the hard part. Non of this project will have any CAD design, only good ol' fabrication skill. So when I get to weld its like a chance to kick back and relax and enjoy it for a moment.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »

Thanks on that, I've got a few years under my belt ;D

The welding is the easy part, calculating bend tolerances, material lost, material gained, inside dimension, outside dimension, that's the hard part. Non of this project will have any CAD design, only good ol' fabrication skill. So when I get to weld its like a chance to kick back and relax and enjoy it for a moment.
Lookinf good !!!!
I know what you mean.Got to count for loss in a bend and where your going to gain on a side.Thats how I built mine ,and she came out great.
I see you went with the octagnal box shape like i did.I know you will get better heat transfer from all the flat sides than a circle.
I am going to enjoy seeing how yours comes out.As I know you have alot more research done than I did on the calculation side of things.Should be an great performer when its done. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

shane g

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Start of ultra high efficiency gasifier boiler build
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »

thats looking nice looking foward to see how it turns out
Shane

MarkR

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: building an OWB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 07:14:34 PM »

Peacemar...wow! nice work, I'm a bit envious. :thumbup: looking forward to the upcoming posts.

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 05:53:48 AM »

Slow going lately. fire wood season is here, tree business is booming, and the snowmobile world is starting to pick up again.

Here are a couple pics, need to get some more taken so I can get them up.

Inside of front primary chamber

IMAG0955 by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

Inside bypass chamber

IMAG0956 by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

paperman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 08:31:42 AM »

Nice work thus far.  Any chance of seeing a few dimensions along the way?  Also on the secondary chamber, whats the channel on the side?  Secondary burn air duct?

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »

If this thing works as planned I hope to make a downloadable file with blueprints and dxf files for laser cutting available.

The channel formed into the secondary is where the secondary air is pumped in, then will enter through passages cut in the bricks that line it. Pre-heating the air as it passes through the heated fire bricks and will be directed to make a swirling and mixing effect. I based everything on common firebrick splits to make replacement cheap and simple.

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 10:00:56 PM »

Todays progress

Front plate tacked on, temporary stiffened to hold width and square.

IMAG0957 by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

All outside welds of burn chambers complete

IMAG0958 by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 06:18:17 AM »

Following some of the design aspects of the Froling units out of Germany along with a mix of the orlan eko60. Primary is 30" deep, 24" wide and tapers slightly, 40" tall. I calculated my needs based on a 12 hour cycle. I need to burn about 120 lbs of fuel to make the required amount of btu in this time period. This gave me an idea roughly what my primary needed to be in size. I then used a scale with a plywood box set on top of it to estimate the displacement of the wood. I built the box the same width and depth of the intended primary and 48" tall. I then filled it with 150 lbs of completely dry (20% moisture content) basswood as this was the lightest most energy less useless stuff I had laying around. That gave me an estimate for the needed height and I added about ten more inches. This way I don't have to worry about not being able to load enough wood in there. Fill it to the top with anything and it will make it through the intended period. I'm figuring a minimum of 80% efficiency if all goes well, more on that later.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 07:26:33 AM by peacmar »

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 09:00:12 PM »

Plasma cutting secondary chamber access door. A Straight edge helps make a nice straight cut. Drape the cables over your shoulder also so your not fighting the cord and you will be more steady.

IMAG0959 by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

Secondary door frame all welded up. Sheared out the jamb strips this morning and burned it up this afternoon.

IMAG0960.jpg by Quicksilver99, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:31:43 AM by peacmar »

Canuck87

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 10:08:36 PM »

Looks like it will be a very nice boiler  :thumbup: I'm really excited to see how the condensing heat exchanger will work out. The best thing about building it all yourself is that you know it was done right.
You mentioned an oxygen sensor, have you looked into where to get one or the controls for it?
Very nice work

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 06:55:44 AM »

The oxygen sensor will be a standard Bosch automotive wideband type. Once I have the mechanical aspect of the airflow controls worked out and this thing is running well enough, I will dive into that. The controller may be an off the shelf unit from another manufacturer, but I am looking into making my own. An oxygen sensor coupled to a simple pc logic board that will control a servo motor will continuously monitor and adjust the secondary air flow. Constantly targeting optimum burn. Which will in turn help the condensor work at its best. We have an exhaust sniffer we use on the dyno at work and I will use this to monitor the content of the exhaust until I find a range that will not foul out the oxygen sensor, then that will be implemented and take control. The logic board aspect seems to be pretty simple. I've looked at a couple of DIY servo controllers on the web and have found some that operate in an "if this then do that" manner and with some basic programming from the supplied software it should be easy. Oxygen sensors of the wideband type put out a voltage signal from 0-5V, if I give it a Target voltage of say 3V it will constantly adjust to try for that. The other option I am investigating is a P.I.D. controller. These work on the same basis but are self learning in the algorithms.

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »

Couldn't sleep this morning so I Got the front face of the water jacket burned out and tacked on before I had to headed off to work.
Bench is a little crowded right now so I had to find another one to use, not quite a comfortable height but still manageable.

Front face of water jacket by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

I'll get a pic up of it tacked on tonight hopefully.
Next is the arduous task of designing hinges and latches. Over-center latches can be a bear sometimes. The hinges and latches will be completely adjustable like my last burner so the doors will always stay perfectly sealed.
Pages: [1] 2 3