Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Start of ultra high efficiency gasifier boiler build  (Read 16769 times)

peacmar

• View Profile
Re: Start of ultra high efficiency gasifier boiler build
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »

Front tacked on and doors set in place

Front tacked on, doors set in place by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

Door hinge brackets

Hinge brackets door by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

Got the primary door fitted up and hinges tacked on today, more pics of that tomorrow.

Here's a lil weekend project I worked on. Older husky L65, model 61 piston installed, squish band adjusted to .030" by turning down the base of cylinder. Ports where re-timed, and pop-up turned on face of piston. 182 psi compression and still climbing as it breaks in. Muffler mod and carb ported along with the transfer ports smoothed out. Pulls that 32" bar with ease, Just a lil nose heavy now. Ran it through some 48" red oak pieces Sunday and it never bogged no matter how hard I leaned on the bucking dawgs. Real pain in the a$$ to pull over but screams once its running.

26" tsumara on husky L65 by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

paperman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 05:36:15 AM »

Gald to see you are not stuck on this burner project.  Some times a little side trip can keep you from getting bogged down in a project.   Nice bugs on the aftercooler!!!

bullworker1

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: mechanicaly fluidized bed, brickless, home made super gasifier
  • OWF Model: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »

I love your workmanship, very professional.  I am starting on designs for my third build, your info is great but I have built a owf of a different animal.  I call it an inverted fluidized bed, I get high temps , gasification and no fire brick. I have been running it now for four years heating a 2800 ft  house and hot water.  It does it very efficiently with minimal smoke. my new build will address a few issues and hopefully improve on what I have already done . I need to increase the size of my firebox as it is quite small , it still gets 12 hr burn times in cold weather. I am also going to modify the shape , hoping to increase efficency. I have read your posts with much interest and have also followed your build, very impressive. My next build may take me a while as I have lost access to a fab  shop.  I'm working on a shop of my own and my press brake is eagerly waiting on my driveway under a tarp.
Chevy silverado
Ford ranger
NH 3040 with farmi winch
Miller aead200le, miller 251 with spool gun, verson 8 ft 60 ton press brake

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:49 PM »

Inverted fluidized bed..... I envision a T.L.U.D with a forced draft in the hearth zone.... Could you elaborate on that a bit? I think I may have tried something similar to that in one of my test projects.

bullworker1

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: mechanicaly fluidized bed, brickless, home made super gasifier
  • OWF Model: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 06:21:58 PM »

Actualy its an inverted mechanicaly fluidized bed, I presurize the fire box and burn in a bed of ceramic marbles. my new furnace will have a variable speed high presure blower and a digital manometer so i can optimize the burn. Whats a T.L.U.D.????????
Chevy silverado
Ford ranger
NH 3040 with farmi winch
Miller aead200le, miller 251 with spool gun, verson 8 ft 60 ton press brake

MrDan27611

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML42
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 04:19:38 AM »

Peacmar, simply fantastic work. I'm looking in the background for the press brake in your shop. So I don't have to be totally jealous I'm hoping you at least have to go out to get access to that! :)

On your comment about using a PID. Last year I converted my heat treat kiln from manual control to electronic and went with a PID. I wouldn't go back now for anything. The ability to hold within one degree is fantastic. The learning ability of the PID was a little bit overstated (by some folks on the internet) in my opinion as the PID doesn't exactly sit and read the Wall Street Journal but it does begin to administer it's changes in a way that dials in to your settings pretty quickly. With variable conditions like a wood boiler, I'm not sure exactly how well it will hold it's setting but it will be tremendously closer than anything else.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Mark Twain

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 09:58:51 AM »

Thank you for the compliments everybody, much appreciated.
I grew up on a family farm but that was only home life for everybody. My father was an iron worker, my grandfather a machinist, my uncles where everything from tool and die makers to metalurgist in the heat treat field. My other grandfather was a gunsmith, and have other uncles that have mechanical backgrounds so its in my blood so to speak. one of our buildings was a 60' by 120' post frame fully finished as a workshop where we had every tool and machine imaginable, everyone contributed and everyone made money out of it. So I know my way around metal. As far as at my home shop, I currently do not have room for a press brake. I have a mostly automotive based shop where I build tube chassis and auto parts for the local racing community and do engine work on the side. All the pictures you see here are in my little welding corner I have curtained off. Some day ill talk the wife in to letting me add on but for now I use one of the brakes at work as I have unlimited access to the shop there and all the equipment also. So as it works right now I really don't need one at home, just wake up early or stay a few minutes late and form it at work.

Bullworker: A T.L.U.D is an acronym for Top Lit Upside Down gasifier. A very common form of camp stove and the simplest of gasifiers. Batch loading only, and can function perfectly without any sort of forced draft. Convection currents cause airflow through the apparatus to feed the fire.

Mrdan: my intentions of using the P.I.D are far greater than simply temperature control. I will actually be using a couple of them, all synchronized to communicate with eachother. One will monitor water temp, one will monitor secondary combustion temp, one will monitor flue gas temp, one will monitor flue gas oxygen content. My intentions are to have a self monitoring, self adjusting control module that will always aim for optimum burn, regulate secondary airflow, and shut down when combustion is complete. And lastly, buying 3 or 4 PID controllers together is cheaper than a single aquastat.

MrDan27611

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML42
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »

Sounds awesome Peacmar, I'm looking forward to hearing about your PID setup. You obviously have the skills on your metal work, it shows.

Dan
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Mark Twain

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2012, 10:13:37 AM »

Made a couple changes which ill elaborate more on later but here's a pic of the progress so far.

IMAG0975 by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

The door frame and water jacket border are all welded up along with the pipe in and welded too. Pipes where a bear to weld...... I changed to a smaller diameter pipe also for many reasons. I'll get into that more but the biggest reason was velocity through the turbulators I'm going to make. Needed more velocity to get the transfer I wanted.

paperman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 01:14:48 PM »

Looking at the photos this appears to be a single pass set-up?  Are the 2nd-3rd passes on units like the P&M not worth the cost for the heat extracted?

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 04:30:44 AM »

Those units are modeled after the "scotch boiler" and it has its merit, but in my opinion that particular design is better suited for the coal that was burned in those boilers. This boiler will have a second and third pass, as stated in the first post, but I needed to design it as such that when burning with the bypass damper open these dirty flue gasses would not plug up the higher efficiency second and third pass. Only gassification combustion will be allowed to flow through these so there is no condensation of particles on the inner walls to plug them or inhibit efficiency. That will be a separate but attached unit, and is yet to come.

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 09:52:09 AM »

As of recent I have received a number of unusual PM's from individuals who have zero post history, asking for design drawings and blueprints. Due to the nature of these messages and their content I strongly believe that these are from individuals looking to make a profit from my design. Some of them are so clear in they're intent its unbelievable.... So I have taken a few precautions to make sure this doesn't happen. I've skewed the drawings so as to make it impossible to scale dimensions from them, I've edited a few critical dimensions from posts to prevent such things, and all these drawing are now filed as property of my design and fabrication business and are considered proprietary information. I find it rather dissapointing that this has happened, as I feel that all of us here are of the same type of creative individuals with some very talented skills among us. I'm not doing this for a profit and I intend to make sure nobly else does, and that unibody else takes this information from us. It should be shared freely as all knowledge should. I only have taken what I have learned and put it into a format that is easy for everyone to understand.  So, from this point foreword I will continue as I am, but will do everything I can to keep this as public as it should be, yet be protected under the name of myself so that nobody else can try to take it. Now, should there be any corporate jerkoffs looking for ideas to make a buck around here.... My engineering consulting services go for $65 an hour, I have many large company's in my portfolio to back my knowledge, and I have fabrication services to offer also..... Should you be interested in making money off of this keep in kind ill be looking for my share also....

For all my loyal readers, thanks again for all the kind words. Let the fabrication continue!

paperman

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »

:post:  Let me post a big thank you to peacmar!!  I am glad to see a person put so much effort into a build like this then also log and document the process.  While I could build a furnace without the internet or knowlage gained here it would be an ifferior unit as I have gained much from this board and its members.  I hope the attempted theives are outed and that company black listed from our good graces.  Thank you again for sharing the knowlage and skill.   :thumbup:

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »

I appreciate the enthusiasm paperman but I don't think that I will be hearing from them again. As I said, they had no or one post listed, and where created the day the PM was sent. I have watched and nothing thereafter elsewhere. There where 5 messages sent on different days, clearly different individuals by the way they wrote, but where all after the same information. And as someone who has worked the engineering side of the patent process before, I know when I'm being approached by a knowledgeable individual who is trying to reverse-engineer something from a picture. There are certain words, engineering lingo so to speak, that are key indicators especially. I'm not trying to blacklist anyone, only preserve what is rightfully mine, of wich I choose to share with all of you.

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 09:29:38 AM »

Welded door frame

IMAG0976 by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

front door hinges

IMAG0970 by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

Secondary door hinge, fully adjustable

IMAG0971 by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

Backing up a little bit here, these are the new plates with the new pipes welded in place. I decided to use turbulators after some calculations and needed the smaller diameter to keep the velocity optimal to prevent fly ash buildup. The 3" pipes would have moved the air to slowly around the circumference as it swirled its way up the tube and the ash would have caked on eventually plugging the tubes.

IMAG0973 by Quicksilver99, on Flickr

Pages: 1 [2] 3