Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Poll

Help with used Hardy stove

new
- 1 (100%)
old
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Used Hardy Stove info  (Read 32054 times)

Rudy151

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
Used Hardy Stove info
« on: November 02, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »

Hi
 I have a chance to buy a used Hardey stove a 1992 year model I guess it is a H-2 and I was wanting to find out if it is to old or do you think it would last a few years more. It is hooked up now and working with no leakes that is what the man told me. Any help would be welcome on what to look for as to damage or other things to look for in a used stove. Thanks Rudy
New Hardy H2

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Used Hardy Stove info
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 03:54:31 PM »

every one here knows my feelings on used stoves (i dont like them) that's not to say there are no good ones out there just my opinion on the subject

i can only think of 3 reasons a person is selling a used stove...1 he is sick of cutting wood (for any number of reasons such as health or age ect.)
2...he is upgrading to a newer more efficient model
3... the stove has been giving him trouble

it is up to the buyer of the said stove to figure out WHY the stove is for sale

i have seen stoves leak in less than three years and have read posts here of stoves that are 20 and still in service.....good luck with your decision

remember ..this is just my opinion..i do not back it with facts just beliefs

take into account all the responses you get ..i am sure it will be many
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

NC4AB

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Brinkley Electronics
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 07:28:19 PM »

WillieG has pretty well covered the new versus used issues. 

Other than looking at the stove physically to make sure it hasn't been damaged the only real failure point on the Hardy would be if the owner has used water that is high in chloride which can cause stress corrosion cracks at the welds.  This is not a very common problem but it can occur.  All the other parts are available from Grainger and can be easily replaced if needed.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:31:23 PM by NC4AB »
Andy
--------------------------------------------
Hardy H2 (1987)
Stihl 011
Stihl 028
Stihl 039

Rudy

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 08:01:21 PM »

All good points for any used item. What about price if it looks ok?

603doug

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 08:16:13 PM »

another issue it may not leak at its present site but the moving of the boiler from one site to another can put a strain on weaken welds etc. Just moved a water heater from one building to another on my farm and I should of moved it to a junk pile, did not leak in the house but something happen in the 100 ft to the new location because charged it up and a steady drip from the bottom needless to say I was a little p*ssed. It was only in use 6 year and this boiler is 17 years old. If the price is right and the plating is solid anything can be welded as long as there is some material to weld to.
good luck

Rudy

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »

#2 They are upgrading to a bigger stove, a wood master I think and wants $1000.00 for the 1992 Hardy Deal or NOdeal?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 03:44:29 AM »

#2 They are upgrading to a bigger stove, a wood master I think and wants $1000.00 for the 1992 Hardy Deal or NOdeal?

a 1000 is a fair price.  (again,in my opinion) ..if the stove lasted only one year you would likley have your money back (depending on your home and what you heat with now)

if you installed the stove yourself you would likely spend another 2000 but that would not count as if you had to buy another stove later it would hook right in

if your heart is set on one of these heating systems this MAY be a cheaper way to find out what it is all about....cutting wood,,hauling wood, stacking wood..getting in the routine of stoking the stove every 12 hours or so

good luck
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Rudy151

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 06:39:16 AM »

I will try to put up a photo of the stove later. I heat with a inside stove now for the past 12 years so a 12 hour stoke will be a break. I can heat my house good with my stove now in the basement a momma bear size fisher style stove. But I want to get the ash, wood and ect. outside
New Hardy H2

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »

rudy..you heat with an indoor stove now...i will throw an educated guess out here (as i did heat with an indoor furnace once before for 14 years) that you will use more wood in your OWB than you use now, how much i am not sure. for me it was from 9 bush cords (inside stove) to 12 bush cords (OWB) but i figured the trade off of no bugs...no smoke..no dust..no sweeping up mud and bark from hauling wood into the basement, and no re-piling the wood pile from outside to the basement was in my best interest

so (i am guessing again) an increase of somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 in wood usage is likley not out of the question (dealers may argue this but i dont think owners of both inside and OWB user will) unless the new gassification models are as good as they say

hope i haven't opened another can of worms here..lol
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

NC4AB

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Brinkley Electronics
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 06:10:39 PM »

I would not hesitate to buy a Hardy for $1000.  The best way to move it is to drain the water, lift the outer shell off and use an appliance hand truck (the kind with a strap) to move it.

Hardy has the installation manual on their website that describes how to take the outer shell off.
Andy
--------------------------------------------
Hardy H2 (1987)
Stihl 011
Stihl 028
Stihl 039

Rudy

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 07:59:52 PM »

Here are 2 photos of the stove. Looks like the out side could use some tlc here and their.

Rudy

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 08:01:07 PM »

And the other......

jon d

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »

I agree that $1000.00 is a fair price. Payback would be quick-go for it!!!! I know people using hardy's for 25-30yrs....
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 05:42:35 AM »

You may already know this, but you MUST open the bottom ash door before you open the fire box door on a Hardy or you have a real chance of getting a huge fireball in your face.  Especially right after the blower shuts off, the gas in the firebox will light from the O2 introduced by just opening the big door.  That's why the top front of Hardy's are usually black.  Believe me, I know.   ;)  Mine has a warning sticker stating this on the front but on a used model that sticker may not be there.  I hope you enjoy the furnace.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA