Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: CENTRAL E Leaks (Not Like the onion)  (Read 16132 times)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: CENTRAL E Leaks (Not Like the onion)
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2013, 05:58:22 PM »

I realize some stoves have some trick internal plumbing. I have used a temp gun on a few stoves to check water jacket temp, 40 degrees bottom to top difference was typical. Also I think it was an 80s Aqua II I disected put an internal domestic hot water coil internally and placed it mid point in the tank I guess since it didn't have to be as hot. Just my 2cents.
Randy

This is where things take down s different path.  If there is water colder than 136 degrees making contact with the water jacket,that allows moisture found in the fuel we burn to gather in those spots, not all of it but some.  100 pounds of wood. 30% water, that's 30 pounds of water that has to go out the stack, if there are surfaces inside the firebox cooler than 136, some of that moisture gathers there, the moisture combined with ash and creates an acid that can eat things up fast.  That'd why cb requires boiler protection systems, to make sure return temps are above 140 to keep cold spots from forming allowing condensation inside the firebox. 

That's also why you see issues around the doors, the door doesn't have 180 degree water around it, it has air that may be -20, creating a cool spot for moisture to gather and bond with ash and cause problems

Hope that helps, stuff like that, is where some real problems exist
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »

This don't just apply to wood boilers, all boilers have forms of boiler protection to make sure internal temps and return temps are staying above 140, it's the whole purpose of primary and secondary loops
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2013, 06:39:06 PM »

Wonder if CB will give me a valve? I did not install it my dealer said I did not need it it was to help prevent things from getting too cold if the fire goes out, never said cold= holes
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2013, 06:44:01 PM »

Wonder if CB will give me a valve? I did not install it my dealer said I did not need it it was to help prevent things from getting too cold if the fire goes out, never said cold= holes

your warranty has already been voided by the central boiler manual..  Your dealer don't understand the purpose of the valve apparently

Cold most definitely equal corrosion and ultimately holes and failure.  I saw a boiler that was heating a swimming pool fail within 1 year because the return temps were whatever the pool temp was, the stove was destroyed... 

I'm sure central will sake you a valve, but since "according to the manual" your warranty has already been voided I'd go to him ..       Show him in the manual where it's required.   
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

whiteyford1

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Taylor
  • OWF Model: 750
  • Make every day count!
    • View Profile
    • Wimers Welding Service
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »

Now, hmm how does that explain the hole in the top center of the fire box I repaired yesterday. This would be the hottest spot in the box.
Now be honest, has the control valve made an improvement toward longevity? I agree it couldn't hurt on a boiler with erratic demands. But that's another cost that I feel likely isn't neccesary for most.  But it does add one more ut o in the warranty.
Hate to sound arrogant but its a solution for a problem that barely exists.
Sounds like some folks know warranty language like I know hydrogen embrittlement. I'm only sharing 40% of the answer with the hydrogen.
 Had a mystery similar to this a few years back. Ill look for the 20" schedule 40 burner tube pic. 5 feet of it I could pulverize with a 2lb hammer.  Literally fell apart.
Did I mention working for Ingersoll Rand pump services group providing support at nuc power plants. That's sort of where I came up with the leasing not to buy plan. Ingersoll wouldn't sell the ccw pumps only lease with service included 10 year lease$$$$. So good you can't buy it, what a concept.

Googler's alert;
Oh that's Ingersoll Rand in Charlotte, NC ask for Richard when you call.
Randy

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:29:54 PM by whiteyford1 »

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2013, 07:43:59 PM »

I don't think that anyone was implying that was the reason for all failures, but it does lead to the failure of some.  One pic or instance doesnt discount why cb or empyre and now more and more companies are requiring boiler protection systems.. 

It's nothing new, primary and secondary loops have been around for as long as boilers have..
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

swede

• OWF Brand: shaver 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2013, 08:56:30 PM »

The 3/8" gas pipeline firebox is looking pretty good right now
the smoke don't mean its broke

whiteyford1

• Training Wheels
  • Make every day count!
    • View Profile
    • Wimers Welding Service
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2013, 08:56:44 AM »

Just let me know when you figure it out :-)
Hey  johny, I figured it out!

whiteyford1

• Training Wheels
  • Make every day count!
    • View Profile
    • Wimers Welding Service
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2013, 09:36:42 AM »

Hi All
Thank you again for all the interest and PM.
Here some pics from earlier research I've decided to share. 1200 hrs of "exposure", 20" schedule 40 steel pipe.

Re Gassers only!
I promised to post results from testing done on CB firebox sample plates but from a legal stand point I'm safer providing an opinion.
 The good news; Interesting trace elements were revealed indicating some thought went into material selection. The sad news; results also reinforced my theory behing the infrequent yet major stumbling block of premature firebox failure. I would like material samples from any stove anyone has repaired, samples should be at least the size of a playing card. PM me for more info.  A broader data field is needed to reinforce my theory.

I hate a pain in the ass that just points out problems so I have the solution for building a firebox that lasts 20 years. It's for sale today for 2 million dollars. Don't be second in line.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:09:14 PM by whiteyford1 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]