Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Actual Electric Savings...  (Read 26257 times)

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
Re: Actual Electric Savings...
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »

The PL has a vented motor and the NRF is sealed.

I have a PL36 and I did some testing with the watt meter. I have a fairly low head pressure system and it runs at 180 watts with all 3 heat exchanger valves open. (all in parallel)

Where I normally have it set to get more flow through the plate it runs about 170 watts. As restriction is added the watt usage drops. It bottoms out at 130 watts with it completely deadheaded.

The NRF probably uses more power but I never tested one to see just how much.

The Armstrong E9 pump is even larger and about the same amp rating but they advertise that pump as typically drawing 115 watts.

That is really interesting, shows what I know about electricity as I would think it would be just the opposite when restriction goes up.

slosh250

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 07:09:30 PM »

Hardy h2. 32x80 2006 model trailer house. all electric. First year with Hardy. Last year same billing cycle 2011 - $264.84 house at 68 no shop heat. 2012 - $123.36 (1245kwh used) house at 72 shop 30x40 at 50 nights 60-70 during most days. And hot water off the stove. Seems like my savings arent the WOW factor i had hoped for but i have 2500 in the whole install so it wont take long to pay for itself. Running a taco 0011 if that makes any difference.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 07:22:27 PM »

I donno what the deal is here...  If i could only save folks 100/mo i wouldn't sell many stoves at all... 

I don't make a written guarantee, but if folks are on electric heat and thry have a bill that's 400, I tell them I can reduce it by at least 70%
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

kc

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Mountain Man 505
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »

It isn't always about the savings.  I have a propane furnace and this is just our second winter in the house.   Last winter we burned a fireplace insert and really offset much of the propane use.   I think I spent about $1500 total on propane last winter but if I wouldn't have burned the insert I am sure it would have been double or more.   But the insert isn't all that.   Heats the front of the house and living room pretty well but the rest of the house is like a refridgerator.  Plus the smoke and mess in the house and very frequent tending of the fire.  The master bed / bath is on the far end of the house and on cold mornings it would be in the 50s in our room.   A little rough for that morning shower.   I just fired up my OWB and don't expect big savings in electric but should use little propane.   But the house will be well heated.   Adding a unit heater to the garage which is a bonus.   My only freek out is the jump in wood burned.   I am burning two full plus wheel barrows of wood a day which is considerablly more than the insert but I am getting much more heat from the OWB.   I am just glad I have as much free wood as I could ever need but I will be busy cutting, hauling, and stacking enough to keep up...

kc
Earth Mountain Man 505
Stihl MS361 - 25"
Stihl MS280 - 20"
Stihl 028 Wood Boss - 18"
Sthil MS170 - 16"
Echo CS-305 - 14"

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »

Oh I agree, I usually sell customers on the savings, but when I see them a year later, what they truly love is the overall comfort that they've never had before.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

oldchenowth

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 04:18:13 AM »

I'm with kc, my electric has probably stayed the same or slightly dropped.  But, I have not filled a propane tank in three years and still have about 60% of my original fill.  The house is always at least 75 and unlimited hot water.  I cannot even start to put a number on $$$$$ saved because of my OWB.  No problem here helping you dealers try and sell one, one of the best purchases I have ever made as long as I get many years of use out of it.  If it rusts out early, well then, I guess I screwed myself by the brand.  The concept is truely worth the money.

kybaseball

• OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 06:11:40 PM »

The savings that I have seen is crazy!!!! I have had my stove for a year now and would not trade it for anything. In a year I have saved over $4500. I know it is hard to believe but I have the bills to show for it. We even burned it over the summer just to heat the water. It was about a 100 savings a month on the bill just heating the water plus the water is hotter and never runs out with the stove. We also had the electric company come to our house and see what was going on. One of the lady's asked if it was ok for her husband to call me I said sure. I showed him what we are saving and he was surprised that more people don't have them. It has been great saving the money and has been even better getting wood as me and my youngest have a ball cutting and splitting. Good family times!!!

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 06:21:50 PM »

That's what it's all about!
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Drivebymashing

• OWF Brand: Earth Outdoor
  • OWF Model: 305 Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »

I have a pretty new air tight house with a pretty efficent heat pump before.Adding a owb is something i wanted to do knowing  it wouldnt save me a huge amount because my electric bill never broke 150 even in the winter.My pumpy is broeder 1/3 hp it says it used 250 watts on the pump .I have a killwatt monitor it uses 242 watts runs 24/7 .Killwatt hour here is 10.7 cents so if i did my math correctly thats $19.26 something (correct me if im wrong).I live in western North Carolina it never sees single digit temps rarely teens.The longer showers with an electric water heater would of cost more .So im deff enjoying endless hot water.Cant wait to get the hot tub hooked to it  .It costs $45 a month to run.
Husqvarna 445
Husqvarna 262xp
Husqvarna 55
2004 Corvette Z06
1971 Deuce and a half 10x10

Drivebymashing

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 07:05:40 PM »

I got the hottub after the owb so the 150 electric bill was without hottub thermostat set at 69 with very short showers.And before my little girl was born  .We now use an insane amout of hotwater our water bill went up because we used 1500 more gallons than average in two months.So maybe the 100 a month was a low saving because of the 45 a month hot tub cost probably more like 150 ish.Either way i love it so far.
Husqvarna 445
Husqvarna 262xp
Husqvarna 55
2004 Corvette Z06

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »

I have a pretty new air tight house with a pretty efficent heat pump before.Adding a owb is something i wanted to do knowing  it wouldnt save me a huge amount because my electric bill never broke 150 even in the winter.My pumpy is broeder 1/3 hp it says it used 250 watts on the pump .I have a killwatt monitor it uses 242 watts runs 24/7 .Killwatt hour here is 10.7 cents so if i did my math correctly thats $19.26 something (correct me if im wrong).I live in western North Carolina it never sees single digit temps rarely teens.The longer showers with an electric water heater would of cost more .So im deff enjoying endless hot water.Cant wait to get the hot tub hooked to it  .It costs $45 a month to run.
Your math looks correct. Those Broeder pumps are power hogs.

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »

I got my last electric bill and it was 89 dollars! Last year this time was warmer and I was burning in a wood stove in my basement and it was around 300. The previous year was 450 so I believe I am saving money and loving it. It was hard to get my wife on board to purchase but she would go back to having all electric lol. I am not sure how to figure out how long it will take to pay for itself but it will eventually plus I really enjoy processing wood I just picked up on a plié of ground less than a mile from my house that is being logged. I think I have a problem or at least my wife thinks I do.
Michael West
Central Ohio

tjdobbs

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic 5036
  • 1st Fire - September 20, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 07:16:20 PM »

My OWB replaces my electric water heater and my propane furnace.  The electric water heater is shut off at the breaker for the wood burning season, and the propane only kicks on below 60 (never).  My Taco pump runs 24/7 and my electricity savings are only minimal.  I was expecting greater savings.  I am basically swapping the small pump for my electric water heater and there is very little difference.
-Tall Tom

8 cord mixed un-split hardwood per year cut to 33 inch stovelengths.  2000 sq ft with Sidearm DWH.

Drivebymashing

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 07:21:46 PM »

My next pump will be a more effiecent one. My loop is one inch pex around 100 feet long with the highest point being six feet to my heat exchanger.Yeah my wife also thinks i have a problem i have wood piled all over the yard.
I bring home three truck loads a week.Especially when i was using my brand new truck to haul wood in.2011 fx4 f150 .Thats probably overkill i guess .Just finished my 8x16 wood shed time to fill it up.
Husqvarna 445
Husqvarna 262xp
Husqvarna 55
2004 Corvette Z06

snakedriver

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 03:15:09 AM »

Good point, RSI. To carry that even further, Georgia Power, for example, offers "budget billing" if you want, which attempts to equalize the bill considering seasonal changes. How this works is they average a year of usage into twelve equal bills. Other utility companies will likely offer the same. The point is, if you are on this program,  like me, you could be still receiving the averaged bill. It can be changed, but I haven't yet done it. It's money in the bank in this case.

This is regardless of the current meter readings. My utility has remote monitoring anyway as a result of new meters some years ago. They get the reading over the power line. No, really!

Another angle to consider.

J
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9