Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: leaky shaver  (Read 11961 times)

Coach

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: leaky shaver
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 07:01:14 PM »

I add water constantly with my shaver........You have to.........and to think with some stoves you only add a gallon or two a year......I add a gallon or two a day atleast!

smoak

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 05:41:21 PM »

Yeah I add water to my 165 every day or so....give 'er a drink every day or two.....been doin that since day one,March of 2008 and it's been burnin year 'round since then,never drained,no additives except the 1st or 2nd year.....One thing I did notice in 2013 when I took off the DHW coil cover to re-caulk it was where the 5" pipe comes up through,at the waterline it looked kinda rotted,wanted to check it out closer last summer (2014) but didn't get to it..maybe a hole there....made it through this winter but I think it needs to be addressed this summer though before it rots through at a bad time.....Maybe a condensate trap at the overflow/vent would eliminate water loss....Might hafta experiment a little....

lugnut

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 10:30:31 PM »

Well I see NOTHING has changed on this website...such a shame.  Why do the folks who do NOT own Shavers come on this page and bitch about a furnace they do NOT sell or own???

How would you feel if I went on and bitched about your furnace and all the oddities about it?  See what I am saying?  So someone comes on THIS Shaver page and has an issue with their unit and the first thing guys who own a Heat Master or CB do is begin  bashing and putting down Shaver.

Granted, I DID have one major issue with the first unit I bought, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt and they made it RIGHT.  I have been using my Pro Series 250 since October 2011 and I've NEVER had any major issues with it...knock on wood.

One thing I don't understand is why the original author of this thread felt he HAD to empty and re-fill his shaver EVERY darn year'season?  Who on earth told you to do that?

I filled mine ONCE and that was back October 2011 and I added the five gallons of rust preventive to the water.  Now this year i will DRAIN the entire system because I'm having additional plumbing added on to my DHW and house furnace and then I will add the five gallons of rust preventative again.  Normally I would just have to add 3 gallons, but for the fact I'm draining the ENTIRE system, I will add just as though I'm first starting it.

I have had to add water to my Shaver, but only when the temps outside went above 40*...and only then I had to add a couple gallons, BUT NOT every other day...maybe twice a month.

And water testing?  Who told you that you had to do this as well??  :bash: Have you bothered to read the manual that came with your shaver?  No where in it does mine state that the water has to be tested.

As far as off season..prior to this year...I've shut the blower off along with both pumps.  I run the pumps once a month for about 30-60 minutes just to keep the water moving and the pumps lubricated.  I empty out the firebox of ALL ashes and loose creosote...and spray down the firebox walls with a thin coat of oil.....

If you don't like the Shaver product, say so on your own manufacturer's page.  Folks who bought Shavers come here for one reason or another....most are seeking advice because they already have purchased a Shaver...they do NOT need you to go bashing the product and making the buyer feel crappy because they all of a sudden feel they bought an inferior product.  I could go on venting, but I've said my peace.

Lugnut
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:35:32 PM by lugnut »
Jerry
Greenleaf, Wisconsin
Shaver Pro series 250 - Installed 10/28/2011
Cub Cadet / Yanmar 2450  sub-compact tractor
Husquvarna 455 Rancher
1999 Ford F-150 4x4 w/207k miles

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 04:03:33 AM »

Personally lugnut, I'm not a fan of bashing either, that being said, there are some of us here who actually cruise our competitions threads to try and promote the entire industry, most issues with OWB's are with either installation, operation or education, I have never seen the Shaver manual so I'm not sure how well they explain installation, operation, or servicing, you obviously have had good luck with yours so Please, stick around and try to help those who are having issues with all boilers, perhaps we can all make a difference!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Roscoe

• OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE2100
  • Southeast Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2015, 05:26:39 PM »

Personally lugnut, I'm not a fan of bashing either, that being said, there are some of us here who actually cruise our competitions threads to try and promote the entire industry, most issues with OWB's are with either installation, operation or education, I have never seen the Shaver manual so I'm not sure how well they explain installation, operation, or servicing, you obviously have had good luck with yours so Please, stick around and try to help those who are having issues with all boilers, perhaps we can all make a difference!

x2
JD 7775
Kioti DK35
Bobcat S250
All Wood Oak Series
Stihl 036pro, 362c, 064
Husk 385,570
Shindiawa 416
Griffin 14' Dump
Owned: WD14000 / Ridgewood 7500
Pages: 1 [2]