Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 425# propane tank water jacket steel drum fire box for pool heating  (Read 3111 times)

arnott1t

• OWF Brand: scratch built
    • View Profile

Greeting everyone.  Just starting my own build of a wood fired water heater to use to heat a 5000 gallon pool for the occasional summer party.  The goal is to get the pool to 100f if possible running the boiler long a hard.  Wood is seasoned pine. 

So far I have used a 425# propane pig as the water jacket.  The base ring OD is the same as a steel drum OD.  I cut off base ring and cut hole the same saze as it and have inserted the drum into the tank.  I'll have one seal weld on the drum to tank to weld up with my 220 mig.  I thinks it is a standard build but here are a couple things I plan on.  Please comment as you see fit.

1. Leave water jacket alone except for one fitting for hot water return.  This way I minimuze welding on water jacket.  Chimney will be routed through top and font of boiler.

2. Cold water return header.  I plan to internally pipe distribution header in the water jacket to bring cold water in and spread it amoungst bottom of fire drum.  1.5" or 1" pipe with multiple 1/4" holes drilled along length of pipe.  Pipe will be capped on the end and have 2 effective diatmers of area drilled using the mulitple holes.

3.  Forced air duct.  I had planned on running a 60-100cfm fan on dimmer into front of firebox.  Line 1-1.5" would run length of firebox and elbow back along bottom of fire drum.  Again line will be capped and drilled for distribution. 

4.  Inlet water economizer.  On the tope of the boiler flue gas will be duscted through automotive radiator to capture heat into cold water return prior to entering cold water distribution header

5.  Water will be circulated at ~3-5gpm via pump. 

6. Multi fuel.  I have access to a couple tons of dry coal.  Can I use this with wood to fire boiler?  any cautions?  What about used oil through a drip pipe in the front. 

7. Chimney pipe will be 3" .  Is that large enough in FD case?  how far below roof of fire drum should inlet to chmney be?  My plan was down from the back of the fire box.

Thanks,  I'll update this as I go.  Looking to be done prior to July 6th for a house warming, and pool warming, party.

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

Bondo

• OWF Brand: Home built
  • OWF Model: Bondo-built, Model #1
  • Master General Re-Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: 425# propane tank water jacket steel drum fire box for pool heating
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 06:56:40 AM »

Ayuh,....   Welcome Aboard,....   I think yer gonna find that the 55 gallon drum is too thin, 'n will rust out, 'n fail in very short order,...

'n Coal needs a grate system to get air from below,...
Any Grease is Better than No grease at All

Watertown, 'n Chaumont Bay, Ny.

beeman

• OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: her name is HOT CHICK
    • View Profile
Re: 425# propane tank water jacket steel drum fire box for pool heating
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 06:24:12 AM »

i would think the 55 would be to small for fire chamber , but keep us posted with pic
work like a bee  1970 mgb stihl 029