Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Couple of questions for my build.  (Read 2673 times)

dave_dj1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Couple of questions for my build.
« on: November 23, 2013, 07:29:43 PM »

For those who have built their own owb and used the exhaust pipe down into the firebox idea, did you find a forced draft necessary?
I'm doing the tank in tank method and I am going to go through the rear with the smoke stack and I don't want to lose all of my heat or use unnecessary amounts of wood. My original thought was to extend the smoke stack down to within about 6" of the bottom of firebox but now I'm thinking just keep it high and use a baffle. Any help and advice is gladly accepted.
 My house is a walk out basement (which is finished) ranch about 900 sf per floor, good windows and well insulated, so I won't need a huge unit.
thanks,
dave

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of questions for my build.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 06:20:34 AM »

I extended mine about 8" horizontally into the firebox, about halfway up the back of the firebox.

Don't know how it's going to work since I haven't fired it up yet.  Fourced sent me some pics of a baffle plate he made for his, and I think it helped with his wood consumption, may try something similar on mine.
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

dave_dj1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of questions for my build.
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »

I picked up a 4.5' piece of 6" well casing for my horizontal stack, I will get another piece for the vertical when the time comes. The well driller gave it to me and told me to come back when I know what else I need. :) I send him well work whenever I have a customer that needs a well.
Now I am searching for a tank for the firebox, I picked up a propane tank but I think it's diameter is too large, I'm afraid it won't leave enough room on the sides and it may boil in those two areas.
the "plan" is to use a 275 gal oil tank for the water jacket and insert a firebox from the end. The lp tank I have is 24 3/8" across and the fuel tank is only about 26-27". Now I'm thinking I would like a 60 gal or so compressor tank, or find two different tanks. The lp tank is a short stubby thing, I think it holds about 48 gals. By the time I cut it for the door I would only have about 24" for logs, I would like it to be longer.
thanks,
dave