Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Rocket Boiler build  (Read 18172 times)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: Rocket Boiler build
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 08:15:07 AM »

I can't wait to see this thing in operation and hear about how it works for you.

plasma_burn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 11:22:16 AM »

I have been kicking around something similar for some time.  Most of the rocket stove examples out there don't use water (or at least on this scale) due to the need of electricity for motors.  At least that has been my take away.

I did find one guy with some YouTube videos of his magazine fed rocket stove/water heater that he runs through a heat exchanger for heat in the house. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U-2HL3YVSs#
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eb5PEiktbs#
how he bundles the wood for the magazine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQSoTOzLHk#

Digging through his YouTube page he has a couple other videos on his setup also.

On damping the air so it can be idled, the only hard numbers I have found on the effects of doing this indicated that damping the exhaust kept the highest flue temperatures.

http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/stovesdoc/Ogle/stovedraft.pdf

The test where done on a cook stove and not a heater so not sure how that will affect its temps, or its draw.

I am all in on your stove, and like the rest, anxiously wait to see this come to life.

astro_ss_340

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 05:42:26 PM »

I would not dampen the exhaust side at all!  If you closed it off by accident too much your flames will come back out the intake and light your whole hopper of wood up in flames, I am going to dampen my intake side.

lawrencep

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 05:50:15 PM »

Damn I going to build a burner to add on to my existing wood boiler. But It is going to be a biomass and burn grass leaves and best of all horse crap.lol I know a guy that has one he burns cow crap in but his is a bigger scale he heats two glass greenhouses with his saving him 9000.00 a month in heating costs. Keep up the good work I want to see more.

astro_ss_340

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 05:53:20 PM »

With a rocket stove you don't need to have it burning, hay and wood chips in a small scale and it would not work with open flames, however when it was just smoldering, it created enough wood gas and when got hot enough the gas ignited in the riser!   I think it worked because I had secondary air supplied to the riser.  My rocket boiler doesn't however.

astro_ss_340

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 05:50:37 PM »

Got some more work done, however I will be getting another hunnah pound propane tank and lopping 2 feet out of it and adding it to my fuel hopper for extra capacity.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 05:55:36 PM by astro_ss_340 »

astro_ss_340

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 08:51:14 PM »

Extended my hopper and took the boiler outside for a test fire.  I was not getting a good enough draft and needed a fan.  I Did a test with 2 pc fans on top of the chimney, it worked better but needed more pull.  My friend gave me the fan/pump assembly off of a oil furnace and I removed the pump and modified it to fit in the top of my chimney. It works excellent!  I am however goin to have to put a aquastat on it to control the fan as I do not want it running all the time.  Sorry I could not get any video of it running as my cell phone was low on power.  I filled the hopper 3/4 full and it lasted 10 hours!  So I can only imagine what it will do with a fan controller on it and a nicely packed hopper.  I found an old spare tire holder that had a few formed hoops on it and recycled them into part of my skeleton I will fasten the tin to. 

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 05:25:49 AM »

Looks like you are getting there.

I'm not really clear on how the chimney/fan deal is plumbed but will that fan stand up very long to the exhaust heat?
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 05:51:51 AM »

I too am interested how you plumbed the  fan? It definitely wouldn't hold up to flue temps going through it. 10 hours on3/4 load heating anything or just keeping the water at temperature?

astro_ss_340

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 07:00:52 AM »

That is the chimney its in, check the earlier posts for my diagram of the flue gas map.  The temp of the exhaust is only 50F.

astro_ss_340

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 07:04:02 AM »

10 hours burned, 3/4 of a hopper with no water, just the fire going full flame not shutting the fan off except for 20 mins or so.  And the fan won't have to run all the time once water reaches desired temp.  Will know for sure when fill it with water how long a hopper will last.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2014, 07:09:42 AM »

Cool, can't wait to hear about it in action.

plasma_burn

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »

What did you end up using to insulate the riser with?

astro_ss_340

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 05:25:17 PM »

I did not insulate it, as I found the heat transfer to the 100lb containment tank transferred copious amounts.  My flue temp was 40F-50F and will be even lower when the water is in the jacket.

dodges

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2014, 10:21:12 AM »

Any updates? Im interested in building a rocket stove myself but maybe larger and had some questions!  Like to see how long of burn u get with the water and it Insulated!  Keep us posted!
Northeast Ohio
Stihl ms-361
Bobcat 743
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4