Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Hello ! New Guy Build ideas and questions !  (Read 2198 times)

MagicManAmps

• View Profile
Hello ! New Guy Build ideas and questions !
« on: December 28, 2013, 03:22:57 PM »

Hey Everybody, First I want to say I love this site and all the information available ! Lots of great reading and build pictures. Anyways, my wife and I are looking at building a OWB to heat our small (1000 sq ft) and fairly well insulated house. My question is how big of a unit do I really need ? As it is now we use about 400 gallons of propane to get us through a heating season (mid October to Late April) Which I know isn't much, but the fact that propane cost is rising, and that we live on 40 acres of hardwood forest makes it common sense to use what is free all around us. I have seen commercial units as small as 80 gallons water capacity that claim to handle 3500 sq ft. I have also noticed that most of the home builds here are monsters that usually average 300 gallon or more capacities. So I guess my question is, if you were to build a unit for my situation, what would you do, and what should I avoid ? Just looking to learn from others knowledge and experiences here instead of jumping in head first and making a lot of mistakes that will end up costing me more time and money than its worth.

Thanks Again !

astro_ss_340

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Hello ! New Guy Build ideas and questions !
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »

I am also going to be building my own, I have planned for a 60 gallon water capacity for my boiler plus all gallons that will fill the lines and radiator and I am only heating the top floor of my 750 sq ft house on the farm.  There are some high efficiency boilers out there that use 30 gallons of water and heat 2500 square feet.