Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Domestic water heater  (Read 2569 times)

coaldozer

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Home Made
  • OWF Model: Creek Heater
    • View Profile
Domestic water heater
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:43:33 PM »

I am in the process of starting to build my outdoor wood and coal boiler and was needing some advice on how to heat my domestic water-coil in tank or heat exchanger at water heater? I will be installing a grate also any help on best build for that? I've been looking on line for one but no luck , and if so I am sure they would be pricey . Thanks for any help!

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: Domestic water heater
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:34:41 PM »

I used two, cast iron floor grates for my boiler, each 30 inches long, 12 inches wide and, about and inch and a half thick.  They are heavy, and have stood up very well to the heat. You may be able to get something like this at a salvage yard. I am not currently heating domestic water so I can't help much there.  The plumbing section may be a better place to post this question.
Muskoka, Ont

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 09:35:53 PM »

Well if its a coil you want try a 007 or 006 pump since they are cheap. Wind up either 1/2"-3/4" copper into a coil. Any size will work, but what can you find cheap. Keep the flow slow for more but exchange.

Don't forget sidearms work pretty good too. I seen a set of plans and it stated an 18" unit was 68-72kbtu. If I were to make one, why not go bigger. It's just a 3/4" pipe inside a 1.5" pipe. Probably the cheapest option out there. This way its one less port or device in the boiler.
I try to size zones to use as cheap a circulator as possible. Sometimes by piping with larger pipe to reduce head and layout close.
Michigan Thumber

coaldozer

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Home Made
  • OWF Model: Creek Heater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 06:50:58 AM »

:post: Thanks Boiler House and Sprinter for your  info , very helpful . I am new to this site and sure am thankful to find it ^-^