Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need some information please  (Read 7527 times)

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Need some information please
« on: January 21, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »

I'm looking at making a home purchase. The home i am looking at is heated with a wood doctor, just from glancing at some posts there seems to be issues with these units. What should i look for. Are these units any good? Reliable? Please fill me in from a newbie position, lots to take in from this.

Thanks

Clueless

merrellroofing

Re: Need some information please
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 07:08:18 PM »

Is it running now or just sitting?  If it is just sitting I wouldn't put any real value in it without being able to check it out.  Make sure the in home furnace works and if the owb works later it is a bonus.  If it doesn't work and that's something you want to do, that could get expensive to fix or replace. Just my .02

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »

There is a lot to find out as you indicated, I don't have familiarity with the wood doctor brand other than reading others posts which it sounds like you are doing (good idea), from a boiler standpoint of any brand I would want to know how old it is, is it full of water and does it leak, is it in operation now so you know if lines are good and pump runs and moves water through the system. You may be best off to get someone who has an outdoor boiler to look it over with you if you have no familiarity. If there is no other heat source then this would obviously be a major component and could be a bargaining chip depending on its condition.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 09:43:26 PM »

Great post Ito, I am very familiar with the older WD up to the 8000 and 5000, all the conventionals and the 10,000 energy converter are what I did.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:05:24 AM »

Its definately a newer unit (last 4 yrs maybe) I will get the numbers from it tomorrow, the house is bank owned and only heated with electric baseboards on the main floor. The basement is heated through the concrete "in floor" setup from the wood boiler outside. No, its not running this year no one to tend to it and its -42 deg C this morning. There are a few pails of glycol near the circulating pump in the basement utility room. Where can I get some firm information on the reliability of this wood system. I need some hard and tangible data to show the bank (owners) that this system is no good at all, not even as a backup.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good replacement and I like heating with wood. Or should I go oil or propane? I will be using theses posts for my case as well.

Thanks everyone.

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:45:24 AM »

There is a "slight" bias against oil and propane with those on this site so I doubt you will be lead there from here!  Heating with wood will take some effort on your part and only you can decide that.  If the OWB you would buy as part of the property is functional, you have the advantage of not having to go thru the decision process most of us did when puchasing it separately and adding it to the house.  If you like the property enough, bargain with the bank on a conventional heater or negotiate to reduce the price so you can install one.  It is good to have this regardless.  Then you have the option of whether you want to operate and maintain the OWB.  If not, there should be a market even for a used one after you own it. 

I don't know how much you have heated with wood, but heating w/wood 24/7 vs a few hours each evening and maybe on weekends (where many have learned about wood heat) are quite a difference.  I would suggest you spend some time on this site, it is full of pros and cons of what we do here.  If you decide the OWB is for you, there will be plenty of advice you can get from here to help you on your way to heating with your OWB.

Most of the serious folks on here try to keep the oil/LP man in a drive by mode!
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »

I like a system that works. I am/was excited about the OWB, I just finished blocking and splitting 42 face cords of maple. I would love to burn it. This is my first experience looking at these units, I just have a airtight at my current address. However looking at the posts under the wood doctor heading and this is again my first look at these units and wow, its an eye opener, nothing overly positive there.

Like I said I'm totally new to OWB but I cut my own wood. I will replace it if the deal goes through, I might put it indoors, say a garage, are there any opinions on those?

For now I have to prove the unit sitting there is worthless and next look at options, a lot to learn.

As for the proof aspect, I have a lot of posts from disgruntled owners, but I need some presentable. Something black and white stating that yes the units are all defective and what are the major breakdowns. Just padding when I drop it on their desk.

No bad intentions meant here, but look at the posts here, its sad to hear what took place.

Thanks everyone

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 11:47:09 AM »

This house has been vacant since september. If the system were run on a trial, would there be any possibility of damaging the in-floor loops, pumps, or anything, any chance of damage if I play with it? Or like a local gentleman told me, recycle it. I'm not sure what to do in this case.

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 12:46:37 PM »

It's a good thing to see the bucket of glycol, if someone drained the boiler and filled the lines with glycol to prevent them from freezing they probably knew what they were doing enough to save the boiler system, the lines to the house and the in floor lines would need to be glycol filled to prevent them from damage in those cold temps, the boiler would need to have been drained not necessarily filled with antifreeze mixture.
 Slim has a lot of experience with the WD brand and can give you his take on those particulars, getting the model numbers will help.

oldchenowth

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »

I have a HE 5000 that is about 4 years old.  I have run the pump 24/7/365 to keep water circulating even in the summer.  I hav eyet to discover a leak, but from posts on here, I believe it is just a matter of when not IF.  I have to replace fire brick every year, and they are not standard size, they are bigger.  I would think the only way to check it out is to fire it and wait to see.  Old ashes, creosote, stagnant water in the tank, grass growing under it, critters, missing chimney cap, etc. are all going to speed the corrosion factor.  Mine can "supposedly" be repaired being mild steel or "boilerplate" .  I am not familiar with the weak spots are yet for rust, and I hope I never get educated. 

On the plus side, I really do like the design and efficiency of the 5000.  Just wish I had seen into the future with the company.  If you are looking to take this out of the equation for bargaining power, I would lean on all the posts from leakywooddoctor, once burned, green, hawken and logboiler.  Any combination would have scared me off before I bought mine.

On the other hand, if anyone could point you in a direction of anew one or how to go about repairing the old one, There are numerous great minds on here to give great advice.  Martyinmi,Scott7m, yoderheating, RSI are just a few I have dealt with personally that sell, build, fix, or install.  Roger, willieG,jackyl440, and guru are a tiny sample of some dudes with terrific insight on these things.  I know I left tons of good people unmentioned, forgive me.  These are just a handfull that I have had some contact with that really steered me in the right direction.

When mine goes to boiler heaven I am leaning toward P&M.  But will be contacting a bunch of these guys first before any check is written to see what is new and improved and within my budget.

Please remember, this is all my humble opinion.  I am NOT an expert.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 02:48:56 PM »

Clueless can you PM me your contact info, you can be my eyes and i'll try to walk you through it, don't be afraid I may be ugly but I don't bite, at least not over the phone. Wood Doctor was a good unit.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »

Thanks everyone....for sure slim jim, i'll send my details, i'm off on saturday and i'm going to head over there and grab as much info from the unit in the yard. I'll try to get the keys to check the inside, ie pumps etc. i hope it was freeze protected, all new to me

Again thanks everyone...

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 06:16:33 AM »

Hey Slim Jim, I sent you a few personnal messages, not sure if you got them. I sent you my contacts, I will be heading out tomorrow (Saturday the 25) afternoon to inspect it closely, can I call you? Like you said, can you walk me through it. Do I need any tools, to look inside the boiler etc...

If anyone who has extensive knowledge on these units, would like to do me a favor. I need a formatted letter stating, the history of these units as well as their reliability. Just a something to show the owners/bank that this unit if it hasnt already failed, will most certainly fail. Just help me build a case.

All I have to offer now is my sincere gratitude.

Thanks everyone.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 02:42:03 PM »

If you just go straight to their website on the homepage is basically a letter saying that all of the past models that they made that were none pressurized will not hold up and will fail and that is why they do not produce them anymore. Can't get any more straight forward than that. 

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 06:07:42 PM »

Sounds good, thanks
Pages: [1] 2