Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie In Need of Some HELP  (Read 8241 times)

big cat

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-175
    • View Profile
Newbie In Need of Some HELP
« on: January 31, 2014, 08:16:41 PM »

My wife and I recently purchased a 3,000 sq' home in October that came with a NCB-175 tied into a oil fired boiler and base board heat. The previous owner said that he hadn't purchased oil in 2 years, burned ~6-10 chord annually, and filled it twice a day. So far, I have not been able to achieve those #s.  I gone through approximately 10 chord of wood and a 1/4 tank of oil and its only the end of January.

With the recent cold spell, we fill the OWB ~5 times a day and now the fire just smolders and doesn't roar.  I'm getting frustrated and am contemplating just burning oil, although kinda defeats the purpose of the OWB.  I been in touch with my local dealer, and he can't figure it out and wants me to buy a solar attachment to tie into my OWB to assist. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie In Need of Some HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 08:51:21 PM »

Sounds like you have a useless dealer to say the least. We can help you figure out your problems and get you right back to where you should be.

First things first. Please explain to us how your system is set up. If you have any questions or are confused please don't hesitate to ask. First off we need to know how the owb system is hooked into the indoor system, plate heat exchanger? Next we need to know what your temps of each pipe are. We need to know the temperature of the pipe that heads to the house from the owb when it leaves the owb and what the temp of the return pipe is at the owb. Next we need to know the temps of the pipe on the owb side before it goes through the plate exchanger if you have one and what is the temp after it passes through and is headed back to the owb to be reheated(measure this when no zones are calling for heat and when all zones are calling for heat. Next we need to know the temps of the pipes when they come into the plate exchanger and when they leave on the owb side again when no zones calling for heat and when all zones are calling for heat. Lets start there and see what we find.

We also need to find out what is going on with your fire not picking up, what type of wood are you burning? Seasoned, green dry? Large, small? Split, unsplit? Is the forced draft fan blowing air into the firebox? Is the chimney clear? Is the solenoid on the fan working and picking up the cover from the inlet on the fan?

artbaldoni

• OWF Model: NCB-175 Modified to burn coal and/or wood.
  • Continuously burning since 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 05:30:52 AM »

This is my setup also. 3500sq', NCB175, oil boiler, baseboard heat, plate exchanger. I have used 5 cords since October. Nearly no oil. From 2010 until 2013 I only used 150 gal of oil.

You have some kind of problem with your system. Post details and like honda said, we'll try to help.

Stay away from that dealer!
Nature's Comfort  NCB-175
Dolmar 5105 20"
Makita DCS6401 28"
1995 5/8 ton Dodge
7 x 14 10k Trailer
Bobcat 7753 w/EEL Tracks
22T Huskee Splitter
Fiskars X-27
Fiskars X-11
15 # Monster Maul
Titan 60"  Twin Cyl. Root Grapple

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 10:44:49 AM »

He just wants to sell u more stuff

If ur fire aint roaring, its an air related issue
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

big cat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »

Thanks all for the prompt response. As far as my set-up, here it goes: NCB175 tied into a Burhmaster oil-fired boiler via a plate ex-changer (not sure how many plates but I'm sure I can figure it out) with baseboard radiant heat. There are four zones in the house which are generally set at 72, 70, 68, 60. The house is 14 years old, seems well insulated. 

There is a thermostat on the oil-fired boiled with a low set point of 140 and high of 180.

Re: all of the pipe temperature readings - I only have a temp gauge on the back of the OWB and on the front of the oil-boiler that can differ between 10-20 degrees. I should note that the pex lines in the basement running into the oil-boiler are not insulated.
Hope this helps.
Thanks again.

artbaldoni

• OWF Model: NCB-175 Modified to burn coal and/or wood.
  • Continuously burning since 2010!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 08:26:33 AM »

Is the draft fan running?
What is the temp on the back of the wood boiler?
What is the temp on the oil boiler?
Are your circulator pumps running?
Check that the rubber flap on the blower is lifting.
If fan is blowing and flap is open check air is blowing into ash pan area.
Nature's Comfort  NCB-175
Dolmar 5105 20"
Makita DCS6401 28"
1995 5/8 ton Dodge
7 x 14 10k Trailer
Bobcat 7753 w/EEL Tracks
22T Huskee Splitter
Fiskars X-27
Fiskars X-11
15 # Monster Maul
Titan 60"  Twin Cyl. Root Grapple

big cat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »

The draft fan and pumps are all fully operational and the rubber flap lifts on call.  The OWB temp was 172 (Tstat set @ 170) and the temp on the oil boiler was 162 last night.  The smoldering issue seems to have stopped since I have completely cleaned/scraped the firebox and started burning a different row of my wood stack (maybe it was bad wood?). 

My burn times lately have been 10-12 hours  :o, although outdoor temps have been in the 30s.  During the cold spell I was getting ~4 hours :bash:. I get the higher demand based on lower temps but I think 4 hour burn times says something is wrong. I should note the delta between oil boiler and OWB during the cold spell was a little larger and I had to bump up the OWB to 190 to keep the oil boiler from kicking on (low set point of 140).

Any thoughts?

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 07:38:40 PM »

Any chance the plate exchanger has gotten slightly plugged? Is there an easy way to flush it? That's my first thought.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 07:12:25 PM »

Any chance the plate exchanger has gotten slightly plugged? Is there an easy way to flush it? That's my first thought.

If hisnplate exchanger was clogged he would be moving far less btu which would mean his house wouldnt stay warm and his burn times would increase
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

big cat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »

Could the fact that the lines in the basement are un-insulated be an issue - or is that small potatoes?

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 09:02:12 PM »

Could the fact that the lines in the basement are un-insulated be an issue - or is that small potatoes?

Small potatoes...  the heat lost there is technically in ur home

Buf if ur basement was well sealed off from home and it was 80 in there then yes
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

big cat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 06:37:58 PM »

So here's the latest - Over the weekend I get a fresh load of wood in (dry seasoned, burns excellent).  Today the wife calls me at work to say the boiler has been turning on and off ALL day and the oil boiler temp is hovering around 140.  I come to examine the situation and I'm still scratching my head...
1. Wood is burning great.
2. Blower is fully operational.
3. Pump is operational.
4. I notice a slight amount of smoke escaping from the top of the door "jamb". I had the seals replaced by the NC dealer this fall (1st timer, I now know how easy it is) and I tightened up the hinges a little which seemed to fix the problem, although still a faint (barely detectable) amount of smoke is coming out.
5. Temp on OWB is at 160 (Tstat set at 170) and oil boiler still hovering at 140.

I am really at my wits end with this thing.  :bash:
Any ideas? Thanks.

andyjs

• OWF Brand: heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 06:52:53 PM »

Are you melting snow from boiler to house? You may have faulty underground piping.

big cat

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »

no snow melting from what i can see.  over the past 4 months i've noticed the delta between owb and oil burner can swing from as much as 20 degrees to 5 degrees.

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 07:38:33 PM »

Do you have a valve on the outlet side of the pump? If you close it most of way slowly and listen for the sound of water rushing past the valve to see if the pump is actually working. Sometimes the motor sounds like it is working but the impeller may not be?
Pages: [1] 2