Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: first time user  (Read 7360 times)

chris daring

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
first time user
« on: November 03, 2014, 07:05:35 PM »

Well ive just about got my unit ready to run.  I siliconed in the plate on the top tonight.  I ordered some of the shark bite inline temperature gages.  Once they come in I think I'm gonna fire it up!  Before I installed the plate in the top I drilled and welded a 3/4" pipe connector in place.  I think I'm gonna upgrade the thermostat to the ranco or similar brand so this coupling will be a good place to install the thermowell.  I noticed the thermowell that came with the unit is four inches however it is inside a piece of pipe that is about 6 inches long.  I'm think it will be better that the stock thermostat but still a little isolated.  I'm hoping the one in the top will be in free flowing water.  I'm not sure what setting to place the stock thermostat??  Any reccomendations?  Also anyone have any idea about how long it takes to heat up the water jacket from cold??

gandgracing

• View Profile
Re: first time user
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 05:14:48 AM »

I run mine at 175*.  They say to bring it up to temp slowly but in the past I have brought it up to temp in a couple of hours.

chris daring

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 07:11:25 AM »

when you say 175 do you mean you keep the water temp at 175 or the number dial on the back of the thermostat is set to 175?  I'm not sure if the number on the thermostat is actual or hopeful.....

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 08:54:27 AM »

I think this is my 5th year running this boiler and I haven't used the original T-stat since the first year.  I have the Ranco and set it at 175 with a swing of 5*.

ambonci

• OWF Brand: SHAVER 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 05:17:41 PM »

sorry to hijack your thread but a question on the ranco and the wiring:  I have my blower hooked up to a power switch on side of boiler so I can turn off when I load.  the switch kills everything including circulator.  if I wire up the ranco to the same switch will it hurt the ranco?  or should I put that on a separate switch?  I just don't want to hurt the ranco by turning it off and on twice a day.  or should I have circulator and ranco so they never shut off.  I run my circulator 24/7.  Thanks

chris daring

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 07:09:10 PM »

Hi Ambonci,
This is a good question.  I am thinking about upgrading to a Ranco.  I also wired a switch to the front of the unit.  My switch just kills the power to the thermostat which in turn kills the power to the blower.  My pump is powered before the switch so it stays on no matter what.  I put a cord whip on the pump and installed an outlet at the unit so I can plug any tools, drop lights etc. if I need them.  Your concern about killing power to the Ranco twice a day seems valid.  Does anyone else here have an opinion here??

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 07:37:52 PM »

I don't think it's an issue at all. I have mine wired up so that a low limit aquastat kills power to the ranco if the temp in the boiler drops. Below 165. This saves my coals if I run out of wood between loadings.

chris daring

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 03:05:40 AM »

Well I started the first fire last night!  House is a comfortable 75*.  I went out this morning and still had a pretty good bit of wood in the fire box.  It took about three hours to heat the water to 180*  As the water heated up it started dripping out of the overflow.  I'm glad Greg gave me the idea to put a short piece of 1" pex on the end of the overflow to let the water drip away from the stove.  I had to call Greg last night after I lit the fire because it seemed like smoke was coming out of the inside of the roof.  I thought the insulation was burning.  He assured me that that is normal for a first time use and that the insulation might get discolored at the chimney pipe but it wouldn't burn.  He was right. 

chris daring

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 03:08:16 AM »

I also wanted to attach pictures of the coupling I installed for a future thermowell.  Any thoughts about if this would work??

chris daring

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 06:38:05 PM »

I think I'm gonna upgrade the thermostat 0n the back of the boiler.  I hear a lot of talk about the Ranco.  Does anybody know the part number.  Altheatingsupply.com has them but there are two options.  I would like to order the right one the first time????

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 09:04:31 PM »

Chris,

The Ranco AQ007 is the one!

Greg Steinacher
618-401-0726
www.midwestoutdoorfurnace.com

Ed165

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 12:30:02 PM »

I put in a Ranco two stage. I made a dry well out of copper tubing and a copper 1" threaded reducer and attached it to the 1" nipple that is on the back of the furnace. It is about 2 to 3 inches about the outlet going to the pump and on to the house.

I am set at 170 for fan with 5 diff. The second stage controls the damper and it is set to 175 with 5 diff.  So when the water temp cools down to 175 the damper opens and if it keep dropping then at 170 the fan comes on. This is my second year on the 165. Last year burned about 5 cords of oak and hedge.

My electric bill used to be 900 per month now it is 160 per month. I cut my own wood so my furnace will have paid for itself in two years.

chris daring

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 06:17:55 PM »

Thanks for the part number Greg.  I am going to order one this week. 
And thanks for the response Ed.  I am looking forward to the Ranco holding temperatures more steady.  The origional that came with my Shaver turns off about 185 but doesn't come back on until 145 or 150.  I do have a question, how do you hold the thermocouple inside of the thermowell?

Dougr6

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: TW3000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 06:08:57 AM »

Thought I better check in now that winter has started here in Caney Ks.... 4'' of snow expected, high of 26 degree, and low tonight of 16.
I am one of the few on here that have the forced air type furnace.
No complaints yet. Staying plenty warm with minimal wood usage.
I load it twice a day so far. But that may increase if artic weather moves in.
You all stay warm and safe.  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:12:27 AM by Dougr6 »

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 08:08:38 AM »

Chris,

That should stay in there on it own! I guess you can wedge a tapered piece of wood in the mouth of the thermowell to hold it!

Greg Steinacher
618-401-0726
www.midwestoutdoorfurnace.com
Pages: [1] 2