Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shaver Fire Box  (Read 3424 times)

Coach

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Shaver Fire Box
« on: November 13, 2014, 06:46:42 PM »

I have used my Shaver 290 now for about 5 years.  It heats both my son's and my house in Western PA.  I go through a lot of wood.  So here is my question:  I have two sets of grates in the furnace.  I am thinking about covering one of the sets of grates to restrict the air flow........I think with only one set of grates towards the front the wood would last longer and would still be amble air flow for the furnace.  Has anyone tried this yet?   Just curious.......
thanks, in advance

Coach   

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Re: Shaver Fire Box
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:46:52 AM »

How  much wood you burning heating 2 houses for a season?   Try blocking part of the grate to see how it reacts. On my 165 I blocked off the front 4in just to keep the blast off of the door. 10 cords for me last season. Heating house, garage,  hot tub and hot water.

Coach

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »

Closer to 20 cords of wood per year.......My son's house, hot water, and garage - he put in a heated garage floor 2 years ago.  My house and hot water.  It just seems like all the wood laying over the grates are burned up while the wood not on the grates are left......I have two sets of grates in the 290,   I am sure one set of grates would suffice........I think I will look for some steel and experiment. 

thanks for the reply, coach

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:04:37 AM »

Coach,

I would cut the air flow at the fan, do you have an auto damper? If so lift the auto flap and  tape part of the air intake off, this will cut your air flow. If not enough, tape off more!

Greg Steinacher
618-401-0726
www.midwestoutdoorfurnace.com

Coach

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 05:14:58 PM »

I guess I don't have an auto damper.  I am thinking that I should buy one before I do anything.  I see on your other post you recommend the Ranco AQ007.  I have a stock blower that comes with the shaver and I guess I am leaning to the $100 adapter they have online at Alternative Heat Supplies.     

I use the stock blower and over the past few years I have run with the fan 60% closed I would say.   I thought that would be helpful in burning less wood.  This year I am running probably 60% open on the fan and I've noticed the wood burning better.   I guess that's why I was leaning to the fire box alteration.  We've also tried placing the wood to one side or the other.....banking it up and it gives us a longer burn time.   

In the past I have had some issues with creosote  in the chimney, but that may be more related to the wood I was burning more than the air flow.  But I will say that burning the amount of wood I do I seldom have all seasoned wood.  I just don't have a big enough wood shed.......I get it full by November and usually burn the majority of it through the winter. 

Thanks for you help though,  I appreciate it.  Nice to get different views especially from someone who works in the industry.

Coach