Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Water Usage  (Read 5440 times)

Ed165

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Water Usage
« on: November 30, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »

I have a model 165 and I have been turning on the file value each time I add wood. I leave it on until it over flows. When I am adding wood the temp is usually about 158 to 165. The max temp is usually 175 but would be higher if outside temp is higher so not as much demand for heat. I feel like I am added to much water and am watering down the chemicals. I test with a test kit and am adding boiler solution as needed. I have had only one boil over due the warm weather and wind blowing.

My question is should I be adding water when the temp is higher because of the thermal expansion of water as it is heated. I would like to come up with some method of capturing the excess water from the over flow and return it to the boiler when the temp is lower.

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
Re: Water Usage
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 03:15:58 PM »

Where is that water going do you have a leak?
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Ed165

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 03:33:25 PM »

No leaks. I just comes out the over flow tube as the temp in the boiler raises.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 04:00:23 PM »

Fill it, then when once the water expands when the boiler reaches it's maximum temp it's full. Shouldn't need to keep refilling it.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

tree climber

• OWF Brand: leaky 165 shaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 04:11:57 PM »

the shavers steam alot of water out.but i would only fill when stove is at the shut off temp.because water exspands when heated

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 07:37:19 PM »

the shavers steam alot of water out.but i would only fill when stove is at the shut off temp.because water exspands when heated

Not sure how they vent, but on the boilers I built I came out the back at the very top of the reservoir with a one inch pipe then a ninety pointing up and and then 24" of one inch pipe. Then I took a threaded pipe cap, chucked it in the lathe and cut the threads out then dropped it right over the top of the vertical pipe. Any steam has plenty of time to condense then run back into the stove, may go years without having to add any water.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 05:08:07 AM »

Take a piece of heater hose about 7-8ins.long that slips over the over flow with a slight bending upward. When you fill your stove bend the hose down so to let the excess water out then bend it upwards as to let the steam turn back to water and return to the stove . You fill the stove with the temperature at it's highest point. Shavers do not use a lot of water. I fill once a week and my fill valve is only on for about 3 seconds and it's running out of the over flow. Is that top plate sealed?

ambonci

• OWF Brand: SHAVER 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 05:53:39 AM »

I have recently this summer  renovated my 165 with all new insulation top sides and bottom, new blower/damper system from altheating and  have completely gotten rid of the rear cover and water coil.  I thought my steaming issues would be solved but ive noticed in the last 2-3 weeks ive had steam coming from overflow when its coming up to temp.  ranco is set on 170 with 7 degree differential.  ive seen water temp up to 175(blower off). I thought it was my circulator bc the speed was on low so I tried it on med and high, seems better on high but still steams.  do I have an air leak allowing more air in firebox or should I modify the overflow like lappin said?  the first few weeks I burned, I went 2 weeks without adding water and when I did valve only on for few seconds.  the last 2 weeks its been steaming and it took probably 1-2 min to fill.  id love not to add water all the time and id love to stop the steaming.  Thanks Adam

jimr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 06:40:38 AM »

If you do what I posted above about the piece of heater hose on the over flow, it might solve your problem, it did mine. The water condenses and returns.

Ed165

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 07:32:25 AM »

I did add a 8in long pex pipe to the over flow and placed a 5 gal bucket under it to see how much I was loosing. I only fill when the temp is over 180 and after a week I have about 2 gals in the bucket.

jimr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 07:07:50 PM »

I have to admit you have me lost in what your doing.  Sounds like you're deliberately over filling. Just fill it till it starts to run out then stop. Don't add no more. You should not have to do this every day. When I fill mine about a cup of water runs out. I probably don't add 2gal. in a year.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:11:11 PM by jimr »

ngzcaz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 06:40:57 PM »

Not sure how they vent, but on the boilers I built I came out the back at the very top of the reservoir with a one inch pipe then a ninety pointing up and and then 24" of one inch pipe. Then I took a threaded pipe cap, chucked it in the lathe and cut the threads out then dropped it right over the top of the vertical pipe. Any steam has plenty of time to condense then run back into the stove, may go years without having to add any water.

This was discussed at length in one of three threads I started on another website several years ago. Generally the answer you gave ( with several variations ) was the one most ran with. Some even filled the vertical pipe an inch or two higher than the water level in the boiler. While I wasn't comfortable with that, I went with the vertical pipe as well, just didn't fill it higher than the water level in the tank. Mine was with pex pipe and a ninety elbow. It you heat the pex with a torch it will lose its coloring and turn translucent thereby enabling you to see the water level in the pipe. A simple drain on the bottom will take care of any excess you have. Since you don't know how much water you are putting in its tough to figure if its an excessive amount. That said, you should not have to add water on a daily basis.

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 07:50:17 PM »

Do the pumps on shavers run constant or only when the house furnace calls for heat? If the circle pump isn't running constant or fast enough this is possibly causing your steam or boil over. I noticed on my stove if my pumps on low that my water will make a bubble noise which is not enough circulation inside the stove.

jimr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 08:34:02 AM »

The pumps run however you wire them.