Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Rusted Lid  (Read 5125 times)

Coach

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Rusted Lid
« on: December 31, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »

I have a Shaver 290 - When I was adding my chemicals I discovered the lid in the back to be rusted..........The clips that hold it in place are bad.  Just wondering if I will need to order a new one or should I improvise.   I currently have a piece of week over the opening because I am getting way too much steaming and condensation.

Thanks,   

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
Re: Rusted Lid
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 09:15:31 AM »

Unless you are using the DHW Coil inside the water jacket, there really isn't much use for the door.  I have seen where many weld them shut and eliminate them.  If you build a new cover, add a port on it to add chemical and do away with the large opening and trying to keep it sealed, just my $.02.
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

Coach

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »

I guess I could do that,  Thanks,

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 01:03:21 PM »

Coach,

Was that lid caulked shut? The Manual should of said to caulk the lid shut to keep moisture for excaping!

Greg Steinacher
618-401-0726
www.midwestoutdoorfurnace.com

Coach

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 06:21:45 PM »

No,  I knew nothing of caulking it shut.  I did call the guy I bought it from .....he said he cannot give me any help with my Shaver wood burner because of the restrictions in place in Pennsylvania........He gave me the number of a Randy who would be able to help me,   I guess Randy coordinates parts for Shaver,  a middle man....Well he gave me them number for Shaver, A Direct Number, and advised me they would be hard to get a hold of. 

He was right I have made 3 calls now and left 3 messages.......No response....

Do you think I am getting the run - around?  All I need is a lid for a 290.....

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 10:10:17 PM »

Coach,

The manual should of said that the lid is to be caulked shut. The person you bought it off of saying that he can't help you is a bunch of bull crap. There are no restrictions in place for one person helping another. I guess that was his way out. That shows what kind of person he is doesn't it!

This Randy person is not a parts coordinator or a middle man for Shaver Furnace, he's just a dealer, and I guess a poor one at that. He was no help to you either!

I apologize for you treatment and the lack of help you've gotten. If you will give me your name, address, and phone number and possibly your customer order number if you know it, I will help you. You can private message me if you like!

Greg Steinacher
Shaver Dealer
618-401-0726
www.midwestoutdoorfurnace.com 

Coach

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 05:34:30 PM »

Greg,

Thanks for your offer to help.  I have called my dealer again......and Randy again.......and I've talked to the President of the company and his secretary Melba.

Still no lid.  I realize it is not your problem. but I will give them some more time before I call you.

this is so frustrating,  A company that will not back up what they sell.  My advice to anyone looking to buy an Outdoor Wood burner is although Shaver may have a good price, price isn't everything.  they are absolutely terrible as far as customer service is concerned.

arkgac5

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 06:34:33 PM »

Greg,

Thanks for your offer to help.  I have called my dealer again......and Randy again.......and I've talked to the President of the company and his secretary Melba.

Still no lid.  I realize it is not your problem. but I will give them some more time before I call you.

this is so frustrating,  A company that will not back up what they sell.  My advice to anyone looking to buy an Outdoor Wood burner is although Shaver may have a good price, price isn't everything.  they are absolutely terrible as far as customer service is concerned.

Have to agree with you about the price and service opinion.

I have a Shaver furnace that I purchased 6 or 7 years ago. I found out quickly that to get a good seal on the lid on top, I had to remove the outer skin of the roof siding so I could see well enough to get the silicone where it needed to be to seal. Otherwise I was working by feel, and since the lid fit poorly, I would end up with a small hole in the calk, leading to wet insulation. For adding chemical, I put a 90 deg. el and a 6-8" pipe nipple on the unused top port and added a bell reducer with a plug. The bell reducer is 3/4 x 2". The 2" opening is up and has the plug. I keep it hand tight, with a liberal amount of grease on the threads to prevent seizing.

After the first year I added a solenoid controlled damper from a company in WI to replace the butterfly fan damper. Sure made the furnace perform much better, but it may have led to a warping of the grate and the floor above the ash chamber. The grate warped up, not down.

Overall it has performed okay, but every time I throw wood in the firebox, I wonder if a weld is going to fail.
2007 Shaver 165
Near Harrison, AR

Wood Nutt

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 250 Pro, Stihl 660, 290, 210, 031AV, Efco 3500
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 09:53:13 PM »

My grates have done the same thing.  The harsh environment they are subject to, I don't think they are warped too bad and does not seem to affect the burn capability.  You are correct, their service stinks.  You are better off getting advice on these OWBs from those of us that have learned through trial and error/success getting them to work.  My biggest modification was building a new door.  The one that came with it fit the frame so badly, I could not keep a gasket or seal for a whole season.  After building my new door, I have had zero problems with this issue.
What this country needs is less dirty minds and more dirty fingernails!

Coach

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 06:44:18 PM »

Well the lid finally came.............From December to March........what a company!  I think I will do the repairs on it this weekend.  thanks for all the info, that will help.  It's a shame but yes, I am much better off asking you guys that have been doing this a while rather than dealing with the dealer.  And my dealer doesn't want anything to do with Shaver anymore.  He says it's because of the regulations in PA.  I know there is more to it than that. 

Thanks Again