Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Homemade gassifer build In progress.  (Read 14084 times)

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Home made
  • OWF Model: P&M 250 knockoff. I accidently made it that way.
    • View Profile
Homemade gassifer build In progress.
« on: February 06, 2015, 11:34:55 AM »

I've been lurking around here for awhile now gathering info and I'm building a gassifer from plans I bought online.

Here is a slideshow of my build.
http://s737.photobucket.com/user/flaughs2000/slideshow/Gassifer

I'm wrapping the water jacket up now I'm really hoping to have it up in running for the end of the winter but it might be for spring and heating my hottub and pool this this summer.

I bought the plans from Dave at independenthomeenergy.com for $50
http://www.independenthomeenergy.com/projects/wood-boiler

Here is some key youtube videos that Dave published.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqF_F1jmar8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WJraMwX4AI

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade gassifer build In progress.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 08:12:09 AM »

Looks like your build is going good. Are you sticking to the plans? Did you make any modifications?

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:09:20 AM »

Yes I have modified 2 items.

1 the 3 runs of 4" steel pipe and the front clean-out and top door is my idea the plans call for one 6" pipe going straight up.

2 the plans call for the V tunnel panels and rear piece to be welded in I decided to make stops in the floor to hold the 1/4" panels in-place you can see the pictures of the stops in the floor but I have none of the V panels in-place yet.

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 11:15:35 AM »

One 6" pipe isn't going to give you much heat transfer. Your 3-4" pipes should provide more heat transfer. What is your reason for having the V tunnel panels removable?

Dragfluid

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 01:31:13 PM »

Nice looking craftsmanship. :thumbup:
98 K1500
Case 1845C
Stihl 044
Stihl 025 (both with REAL chains)

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 09:21:02 PM »

One 6" pipe isn't going to give you much heat transfer. Your 3-4" pipes should provide more heat transfer. What is your reason for having the V tunnel panels removable?

I agree Dave is not as much convinced. I decided on the multiple pipes after watching a video on the portage and main 250 and this is what I came up with.

The removable V tunnel is this.

1 being able to do a complete teardown and cleanup.
2 me not being 100% confident in my welding if ther was a leak in the back it would be a real pain to get to and repair.
I thought about tacking it in but I was worried about the thermal expansion cracking the firebox at the welds.
Dave is worried about them warping and compromising and speratition between the primary and secondary burn chambers.

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »

Nice looking craftsmanship. :thumbup:

Hey thanks.
But if anyone sees anything wrong please say something.

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 10:39:37 AM »

I was looking at your pictures and i didn't notice any smoke bypass. Almost all of these downdraft style boilers have a trap door smoke bypass in the top of the firebox for getting the fire started. How are you going to start the fire?? It looks like your welding is with a 110 volt wirefeed. You must be really pushing that welder, welding 1/4" steel? I see some of the welds are flux core wire. How much water do you think it will hold? What thickness are your 4" pipes? Keep up the good work!

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 01:37:02 PM »

I was looking at your pictures and i didn't notice any smoke bypass. Almost all of these downdraft style boilers have a trap door smoke bypass in the top of the firebox for getting the fire started. How are you going to start the fire?? It looks like your welding is with a 110 volt wirefeed. You must be really pushing that welder, welding 1/4" steel? I see some of the welds are flux core wire. How much water do you think it will hold? What thickness are your 4" pipes? Keep up the good work!

Not all have a smoke bypass, early P&M's did but they have since done away with it.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Jeremy.flaugh

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 03:07:58 PM »

Nope no smoke bypass I'm just let it roll out the front door I thought about adding one but I feel like I'm in deep now with the build and after watching some videos you load the wood in stuff some news paper in light it off close the door and turn on the blower and 5 Min later you got a fire.

I'm using a 110V 100Amp Lincoln weldpack running .035 and 75/25 gas the duty cycle is 20% and is a build killer you just need to plan what your doing weld until the cutout hits and then cut metal prep your next weld cleanup ect until you hear the cutout click back in and go back to welding.

The 1/4 firebox was welded with a Lincoln AC225 stick welder the MIG will weld 1/4 but it takes multiple passes and is slow but is very clean so i only used it on small parts doors latches and all of the 10awg water jacket parts. The AC 225 is also only a 20% welder just weld until it stinks and wait.

Pipes are 1/4" sch 40

I've filled it already to chase leaks and it holds 316 gallons.

Thanks for the complement going back to work on it.

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »

Sounds good. I guess that would work.

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 10:56:02 AM »

I was watching some of the videos on the independent home energy website and see there was quite of bit of trail and error on that boiler. I also noticed that in the earlier videos that he used 2 pipes for heat transfer. I haven't watched all the videos, but its good to see he worked out the bugs on the boiler.