Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fixed one problem now have another  (Read 6280 times)

MaverickM23

• OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: Pro 200
    • View Profile
Fixed one problem now have another
« on: March 09, 2015, 06:18:06 AM »

Second year with my Empyre Pro 200 and I had been getting moisture at my lower ash door, I figured my main door was leaking because I would see smoke from time to time coming out . Tried upping the set point and playing with the differential and would help some but still got moisture and in my air box I got some creosote but it was just hard stuff that came out easy. The other day when it was warm I decided to replace the main door gasket with some rope already coated with silicone, it fit nice but took some adjusting to get the door to close right but I got it and it seals up real nice, no more leaking smoke out the door and no more moisture at the lower ash door. But now my air box is getting gooey liquidy creosote like it did last year. I'm not overloading it and i'm burning good dry wood. Plus I'm noticing that when I clean out the air box of the creosote it's peeling some of the metal off, like rust is coming off in chunks which has me worried. I thought I read on here that someone removed the flapper and it helped with the condensation. I was thinking of doing that but was worried that when the blower shut down and if the flapper was not there the fire might keep going. Any ideas? I love this stove except for the air box and the crap Im getting in there.

ecc_33

• View Profile
Re: Fixed one problem now have another
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 06:54:25 PM »

I have the same nasty gooey creosote in my box. I don't over stoke the fire box like last year. I have had to clean my forced air box 3 times this year and its been really nasty inside. Not sure what to do either. I would think taking out that stainless flap door inside the main fire box door would be a bad idea? Maybe not.

MaverickM23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 08:09:38 PM »

I already took the stainless door out, it never really blocked the smoke anyway and just got in the way and would get junk on it. Im thinking about taking the flapper off from in front of the blower and just mounting the blower back on. Ive noticed that when I go to clean the air box it has smoke in it, but when I take the flapper off the smoke goes away while I clean it. Maybe its condensing in there and forming the gooey stuff.  Early on I just had chunks of stuff now I have the gooey stuff again and Im worried its eating away my air box I know its taking chunks of metal off of it.

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:51:44 PM »

Would taking the flapper off the front of the blower make unwanted draft and burn more wood? If it didn't hurt wood consumption I could see it possibly helping out with the creosote build up in the fan draft box.

Propster

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Aquatherm
  • OWF Model: 145
  • MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 08:29:29 PM »

Wouldn't the extra draft/air, especially if it is continuous, lead to unwanted or unneeded burning and overheating?

MaverickM23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 05:56:42 AM »

I was worried about draft and it overheating but the hole is covered pretty good by the blower. And when I clean the air box I have it open and when I start the stove after Im done cleaning the temp has stayed the same or dropped. I have thought about putting in a barometric damper but Im at my wits end with getting this crap in the air box and I can tell its eating away at the metal inside of the airbox plus the flapper is getting thinner and really flimsy.

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 06:49:06 PM »

I feel the same way. I'm so glad that they went to a complete stainless boiler. Wish I would have known about that before I bought mine ::) :bash: Do you have the stainless "fix" to the forced air box?

MaverickM23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 05:49:41 AM »

No I don't have the fix for it, does yours have it? Other than the air box I like the stove alot just hope it lasts a while.

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 06:55:33 PM »

Yea I put the fix on last summer and did a write up/step by step on it on this forum. Search posts with my screen name and you should find it.

Hammersquash

• OWF Model: 200 ProHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 07:26:08 PM »

Can someone post a picture of their blower flap arrangement?  I have no creosote buildup (6 months continuous fire) and when I remove my fan and the box housing it mounts to there is only a small steel flap that opens up about 30 degrees or so....
Stihl 362
Stihl 660 Magnum
Kubota BX25
New Holland L213
Fiskars X27
2012 F250 King Ranch 6.7 TD

MaverickM23

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 08:58:35 AM »

Thats the way mine is too the flap only opens into the box about 30 degrees. Your saying you have no junk built up inside there? I was getting small chunks early in the season and then it started getting gooey. Im running 181 off and a 5.5 degree swing. What are you running yours at?

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 03:56:12 PM »

Mines set up stock at 160 on 170 off. My boiler also sets up hill with the loading door higher than the rear of the boiler. So if its making any creosote it runs to the back.

MaverickM23

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 04:30:12 PM »

My dealer told me to run it hotter to see if it helps I was running it all the way to 184 during the winter but I dropped it back now that it's warmer out. Next time I clean it I might keep the flapper off and run it to see if it pulls too much draft or if it seems to stay around my set point temperature. Ill try to get a picture when I clean it next.