Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yearly water test  (Read 12882 times)

Bill

• Training Wheels
  • Heatsource 1
    • View Profile
Yearly water test
« on: December 13, 2010, 01:25:48 PM »

Has anyone had the joys of doing the yearly water test that is required with a Heatsource 1 yet?  We have had our stove now for a little over a year now.  Have used it on and off pretty much all year long. 
The book (which is basically useless) says the water test is free.  But when you call the company they said it's going to cost $25 --UNLESS you buy a gallon of chemicals for $40 and you will get the test for free then.    When the stove was  installed by he dealer we were told the yearly water test would be free and we would not need to add chemicals to the stove for at least 4-5 years.   We were just told by the company that we need to add chemicals EVERY year. 
Just wondering if anyone has decided NOT to do the water test.

We have put about 18 gallons of  distilled water in the stove so far this year?  The light shows we need to add more water again.   Just wondering how many of gallons of water is the "normal" amount to add yearly?

PS   If anyone is wondering.........I would NOT  recommend a Heatsource1 to anyone.....if you are thinking about getting one DONT!!  If you want to why.,...just ask.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Yearly water test
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 01:35:36 PM »

i don't know a thing about  your stove  but i would take a guess that 18 gal of water this year is more than the norm. is your water steaming out somewhere or perhaps you have a small leak somehwere. Maybe some other owners of your model of stove can be much more helpfull
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »

18 gallons seems like a lot to me.....    my stove has been online since october 2nd and i bet it wouldnt hold a coffee cup of water. 

It seems like for the price they want for their stoves they should have ALL of the issues fixed that we hear people complaining about.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 06:46:13 PM »

I bet I don't add more than a gal or two per year unless my furnace over heats. 18 sounds like a bunch to lose in one year.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 06:49:55 PM »

Has anyone had the joys of doing the yearly water test that is required with a Heatsource 1 yet?  We have had our stove now for a little over a year now.  Have used it on and off pretty much all year long. 
The book (which is basically useless) says the water test is free.  But when you call the company they said it's going to cost $25 --UNLESS you buy a gallon of chemicals for $40 and you will get the test for free then.    When the stove was  installed by he dealer we were told the yearly water test would be free and we would not need to add chemicals to the stove for at least 4-5 years.   We were just told by the company that we need to add chemicals EVERY year. 

We have put about 18 gallons of  distilled water in the stove so far this year?  The light shows we need to add more water again.   Just wondering how many of gallons of water is the "normal" amount to add yearly?
my stove came with 2 gal of chemical and two test lits. Took my first 1 and sent it in. perfect test. They recomend to top off chemical each year to counteract make-up water. $40 is about as cheap as I've seen for the chemical, even from the manufacturer of said chemical. 18 gal seems like alot, are you sure your controller is not faulty allowing water to boil? PM me with your probs, I am curious. Mine only online since 1st part of Oct or so.

PS   If anyone is wondering.........I would NOT  recommend a Heatsource1 to anyone.....if you are thinking about getting one DONT!!  If you want to why.,...just ask.

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 01:29:29 PM »

Sent my yearly water test back in August to Natures Comfort. Hadn't heard anything from them so decided to call 3 weeks ago. Said they needed tracking number showing it had been delivered. . So I drove to Fedx where I shipped from and got tracking #and  who signed for it. Called and gave NCB  info. They said they would call if there was a problem. Never heard from them, so I called yesterday and still didn't get answer about test sample. So I am still waiting!!!!!

kjw58

• OWF Brand: Natures Comfort
  • OWF Model: 275G- Coal Burner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 03:37:45 PM »

I sent a water sample in to natures comfort from my new GT-220 almost 2 months ago and still havn't heard a word from them  :bash:
S.E. Mich.
New Holland TC40DA
IH 464 w/2250 Loader
6 x 10 Dump Trailer
2 Stihl 261's
Poulan 3400 & 3700
Poulan 2150
Homelite Super XL

tulenutn2o

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 05:44:24 PM »

my stove came with 2 gal of chemical and two test lits. Took my first 1 and sent it in. perfect test. They recomend to top off chemical each year to counteract make-up water. $40 is about as cheap as I've seen for the chemical, even from the manufacturer of said chemical. 18 gal seems like alot, are you sure your controller is not faulty allowing water to boil?Also make sure your return bypass water is open enough to get water flow through exhaust. PM me with your probs, I am curious. Mine only online since 1st part of Oct or so. Please PM me with the problems you have had, maybe it'll give me a heads up for the future.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 05:47:03 PM by tulenutn2o »

shawbran

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Jayhawk Pex Supply
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 01:11:45 AM »

Yeah we got ours in Oct and already had to replace the control panel.  18 gallons does seem like a lot of water, but $40 for chemical is pretty reasonable.

SIMMONSKWK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »

You probably have a leak. Mine started losing water the 2nd year I had it. The 3rd year I found the leak and turn in a claim. What a joke. Did everthing by the book. I just get the run around,  not having calls returned, being told my warranty was not registered which it was sent in, and claiming that I didn't maintain my chemical even though they've sent know one out to even look at it. My dealer quit handling them because of warranty problems. It's hard to find leaks because of the insulation. So I add water every other day just to heat my home. This warranty process is starting it's second year.

Kriss

tulenutn2o

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 09:14:13 AM »

Have you tried calling the owner directly? I don't know where you are located, but it seems like your dealer ought to step up and help your case even though he doesn't handle them anymore. I have found that persistence pays off, especially when it could potentially affect a persons pocketbook on the other end. Call and ask for Mark Setzer personally.

SIMMONSKWK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »

I've talked to his wife Kathy, I can't post what I think of her.  I've called and left her voicemails she hasn't returned one of my calls. My dealer has had no luck with her in the past either. I was nice with her until September. I think 9 months is more than fair for them to backup their product. I like the design but the steel is junk.

tulenutn2o

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 06:13:18 PM »

I would insist on Mark personally. Heck, lie if you have to to get hold of him. Bottom line, I would not let it go without talking to the head dude. Wife does not count. She may field some calls because he may be a little soft, who knows. By the way, as far as warranties, it is my experience that bill of sale is sufficient and a warranty registration card is not a legal means to get out of warranty of a product. Keep pushing. I picked up my stove from the factory personally, it is not a big place, not tiny either. Point is, they can ill afford too many unhappy customers. Water test: I sent mine in after start-up and inquired 3weeks later and when test was done, I got the report sent to me. It went in file with all other paperwork. Let us know how it works out.

jdlieland

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 02:03:18 PM »

I too have a leak after the 4th year in service. Done everything by the book, sent all my imfo to them along with pictures. Have called and called and called, left messages, they wont call back. Mine looses about 30 gallons a month.
Heat source 1
Stihl 362 pro
Stihl 192 pro
Husqu Rancher
Kabota 4510
kubota Rtv
68 acre farm
45acres wooded.
hedge and hardwoods.
Southern Ind

tulenutn2o

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 02:25:40 PM »

Can u post pics on here? I'd be curious to see where it's leaking. Maybe I'll start planning a trip over to Beatrice in the future.
Pages: [1] 2