Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How'd your Shaver do this past winter??  (Read 5458 times)

smoak

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
How'd your Shaver do this past winter??
« on: April 25, 2015, 07:43:15 PM »

Went thru 14 cords since Oct. '14 in the Shaver  165  here in SE PA...way cheaper than using the oil burner though.....kept 4000 sq ft toasty even on the -10 nights...with no issues or failures,just keep it stoked .... wondering how others who OWN & heat with a Shaver made out.....

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: How'd your Shaver do this past winter??
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 03:50:46 AM »

Wow smoak, between lugnut and you it seems you guys don't want any comments regarding your shaver units other than from owners, I do realize that a few folks on here have said some things that are not very good about the product but there are some of us here who don't care about brand names and simply want folks to burn wood, perhaps I'm wrong and if so I will apologize, but it seems that we are all lumped into one basket, I sincerely hope not, good luck and happy burning!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Ed165

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 11:34:49 AM »

My shaver 165 burned 5 cords from Late November to 1st of March. Have 2300 sq log home and live south of Kansas City KS. This was my second year with my 165. Last summer I added a dry well and Digital Thermostat. This year I will be replacing the door gasket and adding more insulation over top of boiler.

I would add wood before leaving for work at 5:00am. Wife added some small chunks (can't handle the bigger pieces) around 11:00 to 12:00 and I would fill it up at 7:00 pm. When the temp is above 32 then only two time a day and above 40 then once a day. However when we get to zero then I have to add wood every 5 to 6 hours. Big demand for heat when temp drops to zero with a log home. I wish I had chosen a larger unit because I would like to heat the garage and a green house later on.

doow14

• OWF Brand: shaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:52:22 AM »

my 165 seeped all winter but it got us thru.This was the fifth season with it. preety much new this was going to happen.Going to call the dealer this am,but probly not going to get to far with the warranty.I have always kept the chems in it,and tested it every few weeks.Didnt bother putting stuff in it this winter,had to add water every few days.need to start looking for someone who can repair this thing properly.Any ideas of other mods I can do to the inside while Im at it,like to get better circulation.Sure am thankful it got thru the winter,but it aint going to make it another.
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 03:00:28 AM »

I called the dealer,he felt bad he gave me a number and some names to try.At least 10 calls to weld rite not one answer yet.Dealer told me try to be patient,but don't get your hopes up to high,they are very difficult to deal with.Hasnt been difficult so far being they haven't answered the phone yet.sorry about the bashing,some of you guys on here don't like to hear it,but the truth is the truth.Probably wont bother to call them assholes again,guess Im on my own with this.
"Some People Don't Know, And The Problem Is They Don't Know That They Don't Know"

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 08:46:57 AM »

I'm sorry to hear about you experience with your furnace, doow.  What is leaking on the furnace?  Is it a cracked weld in the firebox?  If that's the case and you aren't getting any support from Shaver, you should be able to get a local welder to come out and fix it for you.  Have you tried calling Shaver directly?  According to their website, they should send a repairman out to your place to fix it at no cost to you.....

We have a 5-YEAR ON-SITE warranty against leaks on the furnace – NOT prorated – 100% PAID

Plus we have a 20-YEAR Parts AND Labor ON-SITE warranty (pro-rated) against leaks and structural defects on the furnace.

Electrical components such as the fan, thermostat and pump and the door and grates have a one-year manufacturer’s warranty. We will ship you a new part. Nothing takes more than 10 minutes to replace.

We don’t have you ship the furnace back to us, like some other companies demand.

We also don’t send you a roll of 18 gauge metal, like one furnace owner told me his company did, along with a list of local welders! Can you believe that’s how some people (dis)honor their warranty?

We send a professional repairman out, to your furnace, and it’s repaired on the spot, if a leak should develop! If you’re too far away from us, we get a repairman local to you.

Years 6-20 are prorated as follows.

Years 1 – 5    – 100%
 Year 6  – 90%
 Year 7  – 80%
 Year 8  – 70%
 Year 9  – 60%
 Year 10  – 50%
 Year 11  – 40%
 Year 12  – 30%
 Year 13  – 30%
 Year 14  – 30%
 Year 15-20  – 20%
 Year 21 to forever (Lifetime) – 10%
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

Coach

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 08:00:01 PM »

We made it thru the winter with our shaver 290.......burned a lot of wood....heated 2 houses though.  I have a 24 x 24 wood shed 6 foot high on the wood and we burned almost all of it.  this furnace likes the wood for sure.   

ambonci

• OWF Brand: SHAVER 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 07:17:17 AM »

mine did great.  real hard winter here in NY.  last year I burned 16 cord 1600 sq ft home.  I rebuilt the thing last summer with new insulation ranco aquastat and remved water coil and cover and welded shut and added plate exchanger for hotwater.  I burned from first week in November to middle of May and I burned 11.5 cord.  I was extremely pleased with it.  this summer I will need t install new rope for doors and run it again.

jimr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 11:29:51 AM »

My 165 did really well also. I burnt 10 cords mixed hardwoods. Heating my house 1600sq., @70 deg., garage 800 Sq., @55 deg., hot water and hot tub @106deg. Going on it's 6th heating season.

doow14

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 02:50:21 AM »

my shaver has been out at a local fab guy about 3 weeks now hoping to get it back this week getting a bit nippy out.after a long battle with weld rite they did send me $600 that's about half what its going to cost to fix it.The welder I took it too is going to slope the bottom to a positive drain hopefully now I be able to flush it out and keep all that sluge from laying in the bottom.I hope Ill get a few more years out of this thing.for now burning some kero heaters,that stuff is $4 a gallon.

smoak

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 12:52:51 PM »

Yep,just got mine back on after an outage to weld up seepage on the front,above the door on both sides of it.Insulation was soaked....Must of been oozing from day one,cause since the patch job and refill I haven't added any water at all. Shoulda took it apart 7 years ago...Hoping for no new leaks over the winter,probably gonna take it apart again next summer again.Keep my fingers crossed every trip out to it that the water level's still full...