Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Leaky door gasket  (Read 3704 times)

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Leaky door gasket
« on: October 21, 2015, 07:15:39 PM »

Just changed my gasket. I still have a trace of smoke coming from the chimney along with glowing embers when i open it up. I see the door can be adjusted. Just trying to figure out if its the gasket or the fan that's letting air in, gasket seems to be making contact with the boiler. Is there an easy way to find out where the air is getting in? Also is there a specific way to adjust the door, i will be working on it this weekend. Wood doctor medium.... I read some people use high temp silicone instead of gaskets, can someone post some pictures of their gasket/silicone setup just hard to visualise?

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
Re: Leaky door gasket
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 03:41:18 AM »

i just fixed a door seal on my neighbors wood doctor a few weeks back....i used high temp silicone. Simply take the rope off, scrape and clean the door seal area as best you can. Then apply a nice bead all the way around the door in the groove where the rope used to go. Then take a piece of cardboard and smooth it out all the way around making sure that it is level and the indent where the rope used to sit it full all the way around....then jst let the door stay open for 24 hrs and let the silicone cure. should be good to go after that.
As far as the fan goes....you may want to take the fan cover off and make sure that the fan flapper is not built up with creosote...if so, it may be causing the flapper not to shut all the way.

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 05:55:07 AM »

The silicone part is what i was thinking of doing. Just looking at the trough seems like i would need a dozen tubes, does that make sense? How many tubes did you go through? Thanks for the reply...

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 06:46:27 AM »

Use a piece of fiberglass rope gasket as a filler, if you use a thick coat of silicone it will take forever to harden.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:06:58 AM »

Seeing that the current gasket is in there and relatively new, I can probably just cover it with silicone, over top that is?

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »

if the current gasket it newer and most likely flattened down you can jut go over it. High temp silicone is cheap here, only takes about 2 tubes to do a standard door....but like slim said it will take about 48-72 hrs to cure

Clueless

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »

All done today, just leveled some high temp silicone over the gasket, give it till sunday and should be rockin...
Thanks