Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Anyone become a "wood slave"?  (Read 9361 times)

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone become a "wood slave"?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 07:36:23 AM »

I've been told that ash is one of the only woods that needs almost no seasoning time to be ready to burn. I have found this to be true with the ash we have cut around here.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 10:02:34 AM »

I've been told that ash is one of the only woods that needs almost no seasoning time to be ready to burn. I have found this to be true with the ash we have cut around here.

Used to have a chart at one of the local hay auctions, it said ash was one of the best woods to burn green if you had to burn unseasoned wood.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:47:52 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

BIG AL

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 06:25:08 PM »

The power company up here is cutting down trees all up and down the side of the road like they are a logging company on a clearing job. They leave all the wood and chip the tops. It's usually like the wild west with people out there trying to grab what they can , but there is a lot of bigger logs and it's been cold last couple days. Good for me I have a loader and I don't mind the cold. I could have most of my wood for next year in a couple days if I wanted to work at it. :thumbup:
SE Mass
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 07:59:08 PM »

This is how I got my wood boiler, I saw all that free wood on the side of the road! I went and got a pick up load in about five minutes for our fire pit  and said to my wife we should switch to wood !  I never herd of a wood boiler before I came across one on the internet and here we are about 7 years later I still haven't paid for wood yet  I have tree guys bringing it to me for free all cut to about 20 in or so  it's not the best wood but it's free wood and free is for me!
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

BIG AL

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 07:42:28 PM »

I found out that they are going to keep cutting from all the roads around here so I went and looked at a dump trailer today. a little rough , but I could fix it if the price came down. I figured this would make it really easy to collect all that wood. Fill the trailer with the loader and only handle it once :)
SE Mass

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 01:52:25 AM »

I always thought wood cutting was getting one with nature . and fresh smell of 2 stoke oil and fresh cut oak ..
and the echo of a screaming husqavarna .. wood slave naaaaaaaaa LOL

heat550

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 02:42:36 PM »

Wood slave, is that when you drool  over trees you see the town cutting down? They are clearing near the highway out our way, just over the guard rails. Bad news is they chip it all. I was getting lots of free wood via craigslist but now I am too late if it's over a few hours old. I think someone gets it and sells it. I still have a few good leads and I am expanding my path out back. Kind of rough out there but I think it's doable.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor

BIG AL

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 04:08:20 PM »

Power company was cutting again today on my street. I couldn't get the saw and the tractor started fast enough when I saw them cutting white oak next door to my house. I grabbed one load with the wood vultures hanging nearby waiting to see what I left em. I got a good cord and left some scraps. Another pile down the road , bet someone is on it by morning if they aren't out there tonight. I'll let someone else have some I have a wood lot to cut off of and I got my share.
SE Mass

BIG AL

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 02:54:55 PM »

Got in trouble today. I was cutting up trees the power company had cut down and the land owner showed up. I told him I didn't know anyone wanted the wood , it's been there a while and it just off the side of the road. Turns out he knew my father and he let me have what I had cut up. He left and I went up the road to get some on the other side of the road and the tree company that cut the trees came by and they were picking up the wood. I got a couple cords in a couple days before I got shut down. :thumbup:
SE Mass

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 02:58:40 AM »

It's like that around by me as well.  Don't touch it unless you have permission.  I found about a cord of red oak near my inlaws that was laying in the road ditch for months and months so I decided to cut it up and load up a few truck bed loads.  I was reading in the paper a few days later and saw an article about people stealing firewood and this would be  prosecuted.  Guess what one of the addresses was.  Lol oops.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 06:05:52 AM »

Many times utilitys dont actually own the land they run across. Theres usually an easement placed on the deed to the land that gives them access to it, but the land owner still owns the property and everything on it.

If they happen to be cutting within the the road right of way it might be fair game, but if its beyond that, it probably belongs to the land owner. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to knock on some doors and ask permission.  If they don't burn wood, they'll more than likely be happy to get rid of it.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

silver star

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 08:39:58 PM »

It's like that around by me as well.  Don't touch it unless you have permission.  I found about a cord of red oak near my inlaws that was laying in the road ditch for months and months so I decided to cut it up and load up a few truck bed loads.  I was reading in the paper a few days later and saw an article about people stealing firewood and this would be  prosecuted.  Guess what one of the addresses was.  Lol oops.

Yeah, the shame is they probably had no intention of cutting it until it was missing.  My power supplier had a Jihad against the trees that might affect sevice. Seems to be working.   Power outage in Winter was a common occurrance. Last three years, hardly an issue.    They cut four along my property and since I didnt make an issue over it, they took down a maple in the front yard that needed to go.
Husbands must learn to forget their mistakes. No reason two people should remember them forever.

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 09:48:57 PM »

I work for an electric and gas utility. Virtually never do we own the land our lines are on. Even when they are at the edge of road right of way, the trees still belong to the land owner. Unless it is a limited access highway (fenced) the land owner owns to the middle of the highway so any trees in road right of way belong to the land owner.

A friend and I unknowingly cut some trees we thought were on the land we had permission to cut on. The owners were from a long ways away but we found their contact info and called them to apologize. They were thankful we contacted them and gave us permission to cut all the dead red oak we wanted as this parcel is land locked by a railroad track. They were glad is wasn't going to waste and appreciated us making rabbit brush piles for them.

Just like we tell our hunter education students, ask permission first and you may be surprised by the answer.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 10:23:14 PM »

I work for an electric and gas utility. Virtually never do we own the land our lines are on. Even when they are at the edge of road right of way, the trees still belong to the land owner. Unless it is a limited access highway (fenced) the land owner owns to the middle of the highway so any trees in road right of way belong to the land owner.

A friend and I unknowingly cut some trees we thought were on the land we had permission to cut on. The owners were from a long ways away but we found their contact info and called them to apologize. They were thankful we contacted them and gave us permission to cut all the dead red oak we wanted as this parcel is land locked by a railroad track. They were glad is wasn't going to waste and appreciated us making rabbit brush piles for them.

Just like we tell our hunter education students, ask permission first and you may be surprised by the answer.

That's like hitting the lottery.  I wish :)
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 10:24:59 PM »

:post:

You don’t even want to guess how many asshats I run off our property that are “just out mushroom hunting” etc. Used to be really bad with poachers, we only allow a few people to hunt our property, the game wardens know who they are and know we will gladly press charges, it’s not near the problem it used to be.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana
Pages: 1 [2] 3