Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Anyone become a "wood slave"?  (Read 9360 times)

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone become a "wood slave"?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2017, 11:15:37 PM »

I can't belame ya mlappin.  Our family shares 1200 acres with 4 of us using the wood it supply's to heat our home.  I've been out on the tractor and come across some mushroomers that we're well past our marked property stakes.  Clearly marked.  I was pretty rude but I got my point across.  I told them if u want to pay my land taxes this year I'll be glad to share, until then u better be steppin or I will be pressing charges!
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2017, 11:40:12 PM »

I just tell em my wife would really like to find some mushrooms once in awhile on land that my family paid for and that I’m paying the property taxes on before some a**holes from the cities either take em all or walk em down. Got bad enough there for awhile she wouldn't even go out by herself to mushroom hunt, having the Polaris Ranger for her to use instead of walking it all has made her a lot braver.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:37:21 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 12:02:35 AM »

Glad it has gotten better for u!  Our land butts up next to arrowhead campground so as you can imagine, it never ends.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »

I started this conversation and don't get me wrong I would always ask for permission if I wanted to cut wood or hunt or anything else on someones property. There are plenty of people who will let me do about anything I want on their land as I have been fair to them. The wood I was cutting was on the side of a public road and not near any ones house even. I wasn't even sure why the person stopped at first I thought he was asking if anyone could take the wood. He was very nice to me and I even offerered to cut what he wanted to keep for him. No harm done , but I'll be going back to cutting on the wood lot , don't need the wood on the road that bad , just convienent.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

patvetzal

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML36
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 06:49:23 PM »

Finally got some firm figures on what it cost us to run our Geothermal last year versus buying wood. Even with Ontario hydro being the most expensive in North America I can run the geo for the same price as paying $60/ bush cord of dry maple.....
Burnt about 12 bush cords heating our two houses (and domestic water) so far this year.
Spent just over $5000 for Logstor pipe last summer so even burning our "free" wood from out back, it will be a few years to break even.
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...
Pages: 1 2 [3]