Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Sometimes" disease.  (Read 4877 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
"Sometimes" disease.
« on: December 12, 2016, 04:23:38 AM »

Well, I'm quite sure I suffer from sometimes disease; sometimes I remember, sometimes I don't.   :)  For some reason, 2 days in row when I put wood in the CB 1400 for the night, I've been forgetting to close the by-pass door.  It hasn't hurt the OWB but I'm disappointed in myself for forgetting to close it.  If it gets worse, I may have to install a check list on the OWB to be sure I secure everything before going indoors. :)   Anyone else do this 2 nights in a row?  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
Re: "Sometimes" disease.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 03:45:59 PM »

The checklist might be a good idea Roger, but who's to say you would remember to check it??  :P 

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 04:55:40 PM »

The checklist might be a good idea Roger, but who's to say you would remember to check it??  :P

So, of course I mentioned this a co-worker whose a bit older than I am and he told me it get worse as I get older.  Heck, I thought I was old at 55, well, that's according to some of our graduate students.   :)  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 06:39:50 AM »

I have noticed it does seem to happen to me more than it used to.............. I think.  :-\  I hope that's all it is - getting older.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 08:28:11 AM »

Thats what I tell people when they are thinking about an OWB, try to place it so you can see the control panel from the house, on a G series if you leave the bypass open it will shut down in five minutes and your warning light will be blinking.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 03:39:04 PM »

Thats what I tell people when they are thinking about an OWB, try to place it so you can see the control panel from the house, on a G series if you leave the bypass open it will shut down in five minutes and your warning light will be blinking.

This is a classic case of hind-site is 20/20.  I'll be picking the brains of some of the engineers I work with to see if we can incorporate a bright flashing light circuit into the by-pass circuit when I accidently leave the by-pass door open; same goes for a "high" temp condition, maybe include an audible alarm in my house for the night time when I'm sleeping.  Roger       
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 06:37:40 PM »

Check and see if you can get the WiFi enabled firestar controler for your 1400. I have one for my Edge and its amazing. You can monitor your furnace from anywhere via your smartphone. You get your water temp and reaction chamber temp in real time. You can set it up to send you a text or email if you forget to shut the bypass. You can also have it notify you when you need to add wood, low water level, if you leave the firebox door open, high and low water temp alert, if the fire goes out.... I believe there's even more but can't remember them all.
Its a really cool option if you can retrofit your 1400 for one.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 03:54:34 AM »

Check and see if you can get the WiFi enabled firestar controler for your 1400. I have one for my Edge and its amazing. You can monitor your furnace from anywhere via your smartphone. You get your water temp and reaction chamber temp in real time. You can set it up to send you a text or email if you forget to shut the bypass. You can also have it notify you when you need to add wood, low water level, if you leave the firebox door open, high and low water temp alert, if the fire goes out.... I believe there's even more but can't remember them all.

Hi Pointblank - I checked with my CB dealer about the WiFi enabled Firestar controller for my 1400 and it's not compatible.  I have access to a few electronic technicians and engineers who I know would be happy to help me set up an audible warning system inside my house.  Do you know if all of the new CB units are now being offered with the WiFi enabled firestar controller?  Which Edge do you have and do you like it?  Is it easy to clean?  Thanks - Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

GCTerpfan

• OWF Model: Classic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 11:06:56 AM »

a "high" temp condition, maybe include an audible alarm in my house for the night time when I'm sleeping.  Roger

My mechanical room with my indoor boiler is next to my bedroom. I bought a $10 grill thermometer with an audible alarm and strapped the probe to the outdoor boiler line. I set the "done temperature" to 190 degrees.  If my boiler lines ever get to 190 the alarm will go off which I can hear from most places in the house and is loud enough to wake my wife (maybe not me) if it happens at night.  It was a cheap and easy solution that works for me.
Garrett County, MD

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »

a "high" temp condition, maybe include an audible alarm in my house for the night time when I'm sleeping.  Roger

My mechanical room with my indoor boiler is next to my bedroom. I bought a $10 grill thermometer with an audible alarm and strapped the probe to the outdoor boiler line. I set the "done temperature" to 190 degrees.  If my boiler lines ever get to 190 the alarm will go off which I can hear from most places in the house and is loud enough to wake my wife (maybe not me) if it happens at night.  It was a cheap and easy solution that works for me.

My outdoor boiler is only 25 feet from the house but it's at least 80 feet from my bedroom.  I have an analog thermometer in the line coming from the OWB in the basement of my house.  I'm going to see if there is a way set up a digital thermometer that will also send a signal to the bedroom where it could set off an alarm if the temperature goes over 200 degrees.  As for the by-pass maybe an obnoxious flashing light will remind to shut it when I'm done putting wood in it.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Pointblank

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 07:43:31 PM »

Hi Pointblank - I checked with my CB dealer about the WiFi enabled Firestar controller for my 1400 and it's not compatible.  I have access to a few electronic technicians and engineers who I know would be happy to help me set up an audible warning system inside my house.  Do you know if all of the new CB units are now being offered with the WiFi enabled firestar controller?  Which Edge do you have and do you like it?  Is it easy to clean?  Thanks - Roger

Im pretty sure you can get the Firestar WiFi on any of the new gasifiers they offer. Its not compatible with the old classic line, but that stove is no longer available in the US anyways.
I currently have the Edge 550. This is my second winter with it and ive been happy with it. Cleaning it is pretty simple. There are chains that hang down in the heat exchanger that you slide back and forth to clean them. Its accessible through the chimney tee and takes maybe a minute to perform.  I do that weekly along with cleaning out the ashes. Not much to it
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 05:54:33 AM »

Im pretty sure you can get the Firestar WiFi on any of the new gasifiers they offer. Its not compatible with the old classic line, but that stove is no longer available in the US anyways.
I currently have the Edge 550. This is my second winter with it and ive been happy with it. Cleaning it is pretty simple. There are chains that hang down in the heat exchanger that you slide back and forth to clean them. Its accessible through the chimney tee and takes maybe a minute to perform.  I do that weekly along with cleaning out the ashes. Not much to it

Pointblank - You're right, I can get the WiFi enabled controller on most of the new OWB made but my 1400 is entering it's 6th season heating my home and DHW and it's not compatible with the WiFi enabled controller.  I'm hoping there's a few more years left in my 1400 before having to purchase a new unit.  Once that day comes, I'll get it with the WiFi enabled controller on it.   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 02:51:23 PM »

My 1450 is near the house and if I forget it my wife will say don't you hear that. She knows I can't, old age and factory work take a toll.  Rodger get one of your electronic buds to help you wire a light right off of the bypass door alarm. Or does the 1400 have that annoying beep sound.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »

My 1450 is near the house and if I forget it my wife will say don't you hear that. She knows I can't, old age and factory work take a toll.  Rodger get one of your electronic buds to help you wire a light right off of the bypass door alarm. Or does the 1400 have that annoying beep sound.

duramax - My 1400 does have that annoying beep but I believe I've become so accustomed to hearing it, that I don't hear it - make any sense?  An annoying flashing light will catch my attention quicker than any sound.  Or, here's a novel concept; maybe if I simply paid attention to what I'm doing I would hear that stupid beep. :)  Looking at the bright side, with forgetting to close the by-pass door it hasn't had a negative effect on the OWB.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

duramax

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »

Nope you just burn lots of wood. How did our cold snap treat you? We did not burn as much as I expected but I did have to plug in the truck and the tractor was not happy starting up. As far as paying attention  I had a high heat last year when I opened the door to revive a low fire and went off to do something else :bash: Luck was on my side and I only lost a little water.
Central Boiler E 1450 Homemade 13 hp wood splitter, Kubota L 3800 tractor
Pages: [1] 2