Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: G200 on the way!  (Read 9367 times)

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: G200 on the way!
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 04:57:03 PM »

Actually I had a similar issue within the first few days of running my G400.

On mine it wasn’t closing all the way, turns out the shaft was inserted too far and was bottomed out hard. Loosened the lock bolt and let it slide out a 16th of an inch, never didi it again.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 09:58:26 PM »

I only had one time the G400 did something like that, we were out of town over night and Father filled it for me, got home in the dark and water temp was 108. Moved things around a bit and it took off on its own, only thing I figure is he didn’t have things stacked tight enough and it might have been cold enough the low temp cutout kicked in before it took off.

If the water temp is getting down close to the low temp cut off when loading, I push the cold start button in case it drops below 120 before the wood gets burning.

Jon_E

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G200 Gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2017, 05:32:08 AM »

Nice and warm out (40's) the past couple of days, burned nothing on Wednesday, only about six splits yesterday, everything's working the way it should. 

Going to clean the outside of this thing (finally!) tomorrow, and do my first ash cleanout, even though it probably doesn't need it yet.  Want to see what I have.
Firewood collector and hot water enthusiast.

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2017, 01:28:52 PM »

I cleaned mine out today because I was having a heat problem 1 sand box shovel of ashes after 1 week, the old boiler we would get a metal push snow scoop full every 2 weeks or less if it was cold what a difference. My damper stuck like yours did.

Jon_E

• OWF Model: G200 Gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 03:39:02 PM »

Well, here's the one month anniversary report on the G200.  Installed January 4th, today is February 4th.

By my best estimate (basically looking at photos on the day of installation and what's left today), I've used just at or just under one full cord of wood since the new G200 was put in.  This puts my wood use slightly under what I estimated, which was a cord every 21 days.   Big difference from the old Central Boiler, I am certain that I would have already exhausted my entire winter's wood supply by now and been burning more-or-less green beech and white oak already, which is actually next year's firewood.  I've BTDT (been there, done that) in the past and it ain't fun.

Ash - what ash?  I've cleaned out twice and gotten enough ash in total to fill a couple of #10 cans.  There's a bit of pine and a fair amount of heavy bark (locust & butternut) mixed in my firewood stacks and that's probably most of it right there.  I'm keeping cardboard and paper out of the OWF unless I need to start a fire, and so far I've only had to do that once since the first day.

Sticky damper - this has been covered in other threads, but every five to eight days it sticks again, I spend all of fifteen seconds slipping a thin flexible putty knife behind it and it pops right off and I'm back in business.  I'm waiting until spring to shut down and give this critter a permanent fix, but it's no longer a major concern for me.  I know there are other with the same problem and some have come up with solutions.  I don't like seeing the red light blinking but at least it's not overheating, and I know how to fix it. 

Smoke - virtually non-existent.  If the OWB is low in the cycle (160-165 degrees) or in cold-start mode (see sticky damper above), and the firebox is mostly empty, I get some startup smoke.  Once it starts gasifying, forget it - you can see some steam and heat but that's it.  No gray, black, brown or stinky smoke clouds pouring out of this thing.  During a full burn, high in the cycle, when the firebox has been "baking" for several hours, you can't see a thing.  I mean nothing.  If you stare at the chimney with some background, you might be able to make out a faint heat signature - like heat waves off pavement in the summer.   When the unit is off and there's no demand, there's also nothing to be seen unless it has just finished the burn cycle - then I'm getting some residual smoke as the fire uses up what's left of the air in the firebox.  Highest I have seen the water temp go so far is 182 degrees. 

Overall, given the wood use, ease of operation, smoke, customer support from the dealer, build quality and personal satisfaction, I'd give the G200 a solid 9 out of 10.  Just need to clean and fix my sticky damper and I'll be one very happy G200 user.
Firewood collector and hot water enthusiast.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2017, 05:14:27 PM »

Sticky damper - this has been covered in other threads, but every five to eight days it sticks again, I spend all of fifteen seconds slipping a thin flexible putty knife behind it and it pops right off and I'm back in business.  I'm waiting until spring to shut down and give this critter a permanent fix, but it's no longer a major concern for me.  I know there are other with the same problem and some have come up with solutions.  I don't like seeing the red light blinking but at least it's not overheating, and I know how to fix it. 

I’ve been thinking about that, was wondering about getting a small hub cap or even a cup style freeze plug, placing it over the shaft hole from the inside, placing a few small tacks on it then sealing with silicone.

Maybe they’ll go back to the old style if it continues to be a problem.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »

I heard they changed the design through the grapevine after Neal's issues? Are they going to ship out new boxes to the owners with the badly designed box??

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2017, 04:36:04 AM »

For anyone having the issue, I believe that is the plan.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

BIG AL

• OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2017, 08:44:14 AM »

:post:
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.
Pages: 1 2 [3]