Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mahoning vs the field  (Read 6848 times)

rogdan223

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Mahoning vs the field
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »

Hello,
I am looking for feedback from Mahoning users as far as reliability, years of use and what your heating with which model.
These seem to be the most popular in this part of WV maybe because their built in PA or maybe beacuse there original line burns coal but there is little buzz here or elsewhere on this brand.
 How does Mahoning stack up to the more popular models as to design and features?
Thanks

rogdan223

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Mahoning vs the field
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 04:02:13 PM »

I guess I don't get it, is Mahoning just a local brand ???
They seem to have the popular features; forced draft, 1/4" plate for firebox and water jacket, shaker grates, pricing seems on par too ....

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 04:06:50 PM »

I don't think they sold a lot of them and not sure if they will be around after the new EPA regs take effect, Sorry I thought somebody would have had one, doesn't look like a bad unit but I've never seen one up here.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

rogdan223

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 04:39:44 PM »

SlimJim,
 The company is website shows an actual facility so they don't seem like a back yard outfit and have been around since 1990.
I do worry about a company being around for sure, they do show their "Skye" furnace as being EPA compliant.
thanks for the reply

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 06:43:53 PM »

Pretty slick controller on the Skye series, 100% refractory firebox is interesting as well, kinda like a Heiss Heater.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

GCTerpfan

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:51:55 AM »

I know 4 people that have or have had Mahoning stoves.  I talked to all of them when I was considering purchasing a new boiler, I will paraphrase our conversations below.

Person #1 - Just installed a new unit this year, its his first OWB, he absolutely loves it, he heats about 3,000 sq ft. house and 30'x40' garage. He burns coal and wood.

Person #2 - Has 10+ yr. old Mahoning.  He also loves it. He heats 2,000 sq. ft. house, large garage, DHW and Swimming Pool.  He burns it year round and claims to only burn 8-10 cord per year.  He doesn't burn any coal.

Person #3 - Has 10+ year old Mahoning.  He complains about its efficiency. He doesn't keep track of how much wood he burns but says it is "A LOT". He readily admits that his underground lines are poorly insulated.  He has a bare strip of ground from stove to house all winter.

Person #4 - Owned a Mahoning in the past.  He does nothing but bad mouth it because of its poor efficiency, and then praises Central Boilers.  (Full disclosure: He was a CB dealer for several years)

I live in Western MD and there are a lot of Mahoning stoves around me also. That's everything  I know about Mahoning, for what its worth.
Garrett County, MD

rogdan223

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 02:58:37 PM »

GCT,
Thanks for the great summary, effeciency is the only knock on them I'm hearing so far.
I may call them about that SKYE furnace to get some details. Dealers around here have only handled the legacy unit.

Jared43758

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 06:59:54 PM »

What type of steel do they use
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio