Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 0014 01 pump cartridge fail  (Read 8889 times)

adamant

• View Profile
    • my pic site
0014 01 pump cartridge fail
« on: January 13, 2017, 04:00:45 PM »

Question about a taco 0014 01 pump. I want to up grade my pump to a metal impeller but don't want to switch out the whole pump or the Volute. Do you know if they make a impeller replacement part that I can just slip in? I got a email into the manufacture but haven't heard back from them yet.
gas forced hot air/gas hot water
buck supreme insert 2/14/1991 to 2/21 2007 (rip)
LOPI freedom bay insert. (present)
central boiler classic 6048

NEW JERSEY

what we do on the weekends
http://community.webshots.com/user/adamant117

http://adamant.pictiger.com/

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: 0014 01 pump cartridge fail
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 05:18:38 PM »

Do you know what caused it to do that?
For the price of the cartridge for that pump, you are probably better off just replacing the pump with something else.

adamant

• View Profile
    • my pic site
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 05:52:21 AM »

rsi, thank you. whats your recommendations?
gas forced hot air/gas hot water
buck supreme insert 2/14/1991 to 2/21 2007 (rip)
LOPI freedom bay insert. (present)
central boiler classic 6048

NEW JERSEY

what we do on the weekends
http://community.webshots.com/user/adamant117

http://adamant.pictiger.com/

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:20:20 PM »

That would depend on how close to the correct size this pump was.
I am assuming it is not mounted at the boiler. How far away is it? Once thing that could have caused the impeller to fail is cavitation caused by negative pressure at the pump inlet. If that is happening, you would be better off with a smaller pump if possible. You can estimate if the pump is getting a proper supply by running water out of the pipe while the pump is removed into a bucket and timing it. If you are getting less than the estimated flow rate for the system then it will not have enough inlet pressure.

If the pump was sized correctly, I would replace it with a Grundfos 26-99 and probably run it on medium or low. If the 0014 was too big then I would go with a 15-58.

coonsrich@yahoo.com

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: WoodDoctor
  • OWF Model: BP 8000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 02:20:02 AM »

Was there a possibility of ice in the pipe?  Pumps pump water not ice.

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »

I've seen them do that from steam rather than ice.  These pumps can't pump steam!  A co-worker of
Mine has a large model (forget the side) legend wood boiler and he was loosing a pump one a month.  Thank god for warranty.  After we did a little research we came to find that the water was turning to steam and the pump was burning up.  We added a larger inlet pipe 1-1/4" and turned down the water temp from 195 to 185.  So far so good.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 05:00:20 PM »

Cavitation most likely. Cavitation is caused by lowering the intake side of the pumps intake pressure(pumping more out than it is able to take in). Water boils as 212 degrees at 14 psi atmospheric pressure. As you lower the pressure of the incoming water te boiling poit of water also goes down. So at 195 and a small intake line you were probably cavitating which was turning the incoming water to steam and as it is repressurized on the discharge side it quickly collapses back to liquid form causing that terrible noise you hear when you cavitate a pump. This process is very rough on any type or pump and is even worse on those cheap taco plastic ones.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:02:33 PM by hondaracer2oo4 »

shepherd boy

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 10:35:11 AM »

Your right. People think that putting a pump at the lowest spot is the best , but on the stove is best. Push the water in an open system is better. Just sold an 011 taco to someone who's impeller looked the same. Meltdown from cavitation.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 10:43:30 AM »

Yes people have a hard time wrapping their head around a pump circulating water(closed system where the pump pushes water back to the inlet) vs a pump pumping water in an open system where atmospheric pressure has to push water to the inlet side of the pump.

aarmga

• Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »

I've always told friends to keep the pump on the stove with a larger inlet than outlet. Most don't listen and rather change their pump in the basement where it's warm.  I have my stove in a small shed i built around it, doesn't bother me to be out there and change a pump but so far I haven't had to.  I rather change one once every 3-5 years outside in the cold than every year in the basement.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
JD 1025r with FEL

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 07:20:07 PM »

I have a taco 11 in my basement, 250 feet from my stove, it has been there and working every winter since 2003. I shut it off in April and start it up in late October, I have never turned it on in the summer one time.
not sure why I have never had any of the problems mentioned with having the pump in the basement?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

aarmga

• Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »

I'm sure you have enough head pressure on the push side being so far from the stove that your pump doesn't move a lot of water. My guess you would be in the 4-5 gallons per minute range.  That being said you may have enough feed for the pump that it doesn't have any cavitation issues.  Some have theirs only 75 or like my friend 90 feet from the stove with very little drop in elevation. His pump is pushing 10gpm at that distance (calculated). Since these pumps don't "suck" water at all I believe his pump is starving for water all the time because he isn't pushing water back to the pump.  It is basically gravity feeding to the pump through a 1-1/4 line. I believe it's hard to get 10gpm that way when he pump only pushes 10gpm back to the stove.  I hope u can picture what I'm saying.  Basically as long as u get a supply to the pump that it needs at all times it will be fine.  I'm not one to believe all this head pressure vs distance vs line size crap because none of it actually calculates outs to a real live test.  I push my water 260 feet, 130 both ways, and I lift the water about 12 feet.  My pump technically shouldn't be able to do this or at best push only 1gpm but it does like 6 or 7 because I can over flow a 5 gallon bucket at the stove where the pump is mounted 260 feet later.   That's why I always make sure my pump gets adequate water flow by me physically testing it before the install because those numbers equations are garbage to me lol
Stihl 211 - 16"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
JD 1025r with FEL

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 09:30:58 PM »

I've always told friends to keep the pump on the stove with a larger inlet than outlet. Most don't listen and rather change their pump in the basement where it's warm.  I have my stove in a small shed i built around it, doesn't bother me to be out there and change a pump but so far I haven't had to.  I rather change one once every 3-5 years outside in the cold than every year in the basement.

This is just wrong thinking to start with, if mounted on the stove and your still changing pumps every year then either quit pumping water out of the ditch to fill the stove or stop buying the cheapest pump you can find.

Pumps can be in the basement, no problem, just don’t expect them to move near as much water as if it was mounted on the rear of the stove right next to the water supply. IE in other words use a smaller pump or turn the one down you have.

Couldn’t believe it, but we have a 750 gallon stainless tank mounted above the rear axle on one of our four wheel drive tractors, then a 1 1/2” line feeding the spray pump directly below it mounted on the drawbar, maybe 2 foot of line at most, but having a strainer in the line with a screen of 1/8” openings was enough to cause it to cavitate and ruin a $800 dollar pump. Running a screen of 1/4” mesh seems to be alright, again, less than 2 foot of line.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

aarmga

• Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 09:46:38 PM »

Think u need to re read that.  I'm not changing pumps but he is.  Mine is on the stove his is not.  Mine is fine his needs replacing once per year.  Secondly like I said u need water flow coming in being the same or more as going out.  Some of this gets over calculated when it is so very simple. Pretty much what u explained. I run the cheapest pump on the market so I hear going 2 years strong with way more than it should be doing. Having it in the basement IS fine if you can have the correct flow coming in as going out.  Pretty much what u said.  I don't think that is thinking wrong, that's thinking logical in my eyes.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:51:41 PM by aarmga »
Stihl 211 - 16"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
JD 1025r with FEL

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 09:49:40 PM »

aarmga  I understand most of what you describe and I think I am getting a between 5 and 6 gpm  from when I can feel hot water arriving at the pump when the system is started in the fall. (250 feet from stove to pump and it takes 1.5 minutes from start up until I feel heat in the line)

with my pump in the basement I felt I should be on the low side of the maximum suggested flow for 1 inch pex ala pex. the suggested flow rates I found on line were from 5.2 gpm to 10.4  and why pump more, 5 gpm is supposed to deliver 50,000 btu per minute and that suits my needs 

I found a line in your post somewhat baffling though, you said you were lifting water 12 feet?  doesn't matter where your stove is, if your pump is on the stove you cant be lifting water 12 feet, you could be pushing it up hill 12 feet
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada
Pages: [1] 2 3