Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Heat shield on 6048  (Read 3061 times)

ST98

• View Profile
Heat shield on 6048
« on: January 30, 2017, 08:39:53 AM »

I have a cb 6048 and one of the two heat shields on the door is way warped and has a hole burned through it. The one behind it is fine. I was just going to plasma cut a piece of steel and replace it. Does anyone know if it's some special steel they use on the door heat shields?  I need to move my fire a little further back I guess.

Thank you

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Heat shield on 6048
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 08:59:38 AM »

Probably just mild steel like the rest of the stove, would be cute to find a piece of 409 stainless to replace it with.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:08:38 AM »

They seem to have an issue with the door, perhaps they need a special steel to prevent it from warping or burning out.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Walleye

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 05:47:30 PM »

How close to the door do you keep your logs? I try to keep mine back at least 8 to 10 inches from the inside of the door frame. My heat shields are going on 5 years old and still look like new. If the creosote on them starts to turn white then I move the fire back.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 06:39:31 PM »

Is it warped or is it from closeing the door with wood sticking out and forcing the door closed ? just asking
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 09:03:39 PM »

The double heat shields are hung on two shoulder bolts allowing them to float, with an air gap between them and the inner cast door. They are made out of 10 gauge mild carbon steel and greatly reduce heat on the inner cast door and solenoid behind it. The CB cast door used for over 20 years on their Classic furnaces is one of the most durable doors ever. The shields are just a low cost sacrificial sheet of metal easily replaced if necessary. I found burning the wood near the the door frame kept the frame area drier and creosote from building up on the air intake door flap area, plus pulling coals forward to the front door and loading near door allows the ripple top and rear baffle to maximize heat transfer and efficiency of that model.

ST98

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »

I keep the wood maybe 10 inches to a foot back. It's warped into the stove, so the hitting the door with wood wouldn't be correct. I don't beat it closed but if I did it'd be flat... Probably gets red hot and then sucks into the stove with the draft. The one behind it is fine.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully the bolts will come off easy.