Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: smoke  (Read 2926 times)

neal8809

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
smoke
« on: February 04, 2017, 09:24:56 AM »

Sitting here on this balmy 15F morning while my house is a cozy 72F i notice for the first time in the 3 weeks that i have owned my G200 that it is giving off a medium amount of blue smoke. Ideas on why?

neal8809

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: smoke
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »

Kinda ok pic of blue smoke

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »

Neal - Maybe it's sad...   :)  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 11:21:02 AM »

Could be it’s trying to bridge over and the slot in the floor is exposed, give it a poke or two and see if the wood falls down.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 12:01:07 PM »

I agree with mlappin-
Blue smoke usually means a "cool" burn. Usually bridging leaving the slot or "nozzle" exposed. No coal bed to flash off the gasses in the reburn brick. Another cause of blue smoke could be if you've run it rich (lots of small, very dry wood) for a while it can coat the heat exchange tubes with smoke residue. Then when you shake the turbulators it smokes for a few minutes while it cooks off the coating. 

Loading with very small dry wood can make it smoke too but that's usually more of a thick yellow/white smoke.

Mine smoked a bit this morning. I loaded it too heavy with some little blocks. Flashed off too fast for the secondary air to take care of.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 07:07:47 PM »

Yeah I get that if the wood starts to bridge, just open up the firebox and take the wood back and forth to knock it down and stir up the coals. It's hard to understand what's going on without the view port in the reaction chamber door which I think all units should come with.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 07:53:08 PM »

Yeah I get that if the wood starts to bridge, just open up the firebox and take the wood back and forth to knock it down and stir up the coals. It's hard to understand what's going on without the view port in the reaction chamber door which I think all units should come with.

yah, I made mine for demo purposes, I also think it contributes a little to creosote build up, especially in the shoulder seasons. Next one I’m gonna make out of 1 1/2” pipe instead of 2 1/2” then reduce the air slots accordingly.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 08:03:27 PM »

Where do you see creosote build up? In the firebox? I've always had it so I don't know any different if so. Not sure what size my pipe is, Richard made it. The glass I have a small piece of wood holding the glass away from the door slightly which keeps the glass from clouding up with residue which it used to do when it was tight against the door.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 11:03:18 PM »

I get some light smoking when I use small stuff, especially small slab wood and if it bridges. Also when the unit is throttling down the combustion air disc and the small stuff is really hot and gassing heavy. Just seems like it can't burn off all the smoke but it doesn't last long. 
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 11:30:49 PM »

Where do you see creosote build up? In the firebox? I've always had it so I don't know any different if so. Not sure what size my pipe is, Richard made it. The glass I have a small piece of wood holding the glass away from the door slightly which keeps the glass from clouding up with residue which it used to do when it was tight against the door.

I always figured that little bit of air constantly finding it’s way into the lower burn chamber went right up the refractory into the main firebox and lets it smolder longer after it shuts down.

I did have the one prototype I made, used the vacuum built in the stove from the draft fan, draft pulled it away from the front plate of the viewport and let the air wash work, very light duty springs pushed the glass back against the plate to shut the air off, less creosote definitely up top and it worked reasonably well except for two annoying problems.

1: Certain weather conditions would let water in and then it would freeze if no call for heat for several hours, once the stove was actually burning the heat would melt the ice and it would open, but not before completely crudding up the glass.

2: With no air wash between burns, the glass would quickly get dirty as some fumes linger in the bottom of the stove after it reaches temp and shuts off. I mean in the course of over night it would be completely covered and would require cleaning everyday.

I was using basically the equivalent of pyrex, no matter how filthy or baked on the glass is, always cleans right up, just was annoying to do so.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »

If I ever see any smoke coming from my boiler it like most everyone said the wood has bridged over the nozzle and i go over and knock it down and it goes away. Only other times I have seen smoke it right at the end of a burn or with some wood that was a little green. When it's running hot nothing but a heat waves.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.