Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: wood placement testing  (Read 2151 times)

neal8809

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
wood placement testing
« on: February 07, 2017, 04:44:37 AM »

So i have been trying a few things with wood placement and want to see other peoples results as well. My G200 is almost a month old and i have been getting 12 burns without a problem but was getting alot of coal so i went from placing wood in from front to back to now left to right in the firebox. My result has been shorter burn times, more wood consumption and less coal and more powdery ash. Mlappin has touched on this and just wondering if anyone else had or jas the same results.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: wood placement testing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 05:29:21 AM »

I haven’t noticed any increased wood consumption however I’ve noticed the difference in the coal bed.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Jon_E

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G200 Gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 07:17:32 AM »

My result has been shorter burn times, more wood consumption and less coal and more powdery ash.

^^^  None of this is a good thing.  Also running on one month's experience, I have found my best results to be raking as much of the coal bed into the center, directly over the slot.  Actually piling coals in the middle, along with any unburned or partially burned pieces.  Any new wood goes on the sides and top.  The results seem to be that, once the blower kicks on, it lights the coals over the slot immediately, and will draw air from the sides right through the coal pile.  I get instant gasification, no smoke. 

If there's still a full load of wood in there, I don't touch it, I just add some more.  I get a full 12-hour burn or more out of a load of wood, and most of the time I load so the top of the pile is level with, or just above, the bottom of the door.  This past Sunday I loaded it at about 10 am and did not touch it again until 6:30 on Monday morning, and it was down to a full bed of coals and still hot.
Firewood collector and hot water enthusiast.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 11:49:18 AM »

I have yet to try the right to left orientation of wood. I do find though that if I have to many coals that I did not anticipate the correct amount of wood for the next loading time. If I have a coal bed deeper than I want I will just put off filling it if possible for a few hours to let it run another cycle to knock the bed back down to the right level. As far as what I do with coals and unburned logs, I find that if I have any logs left I roll them to the center over the nozzle. Then I rake some coals around those logs in the center and even the coals out to each side of the nozzle. Then I load the new wood load on that. I find that if I take the coals right over the slot they fall through and or burn up almost immediately when the boiler does a cycle instead of starting to break down the new wood load. If I have no unburned logs left, just coals, I place a couple smaller splits right over the nozzle and then rake  coals over against them.  This seems to work well toget the new new load burning.