Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 10,000 mfe  (Read 8762 times)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
10,000 mfe
« on: February 18, 2017, 07:48:45 AM »

Out of curiosity I was wondering about the expierence the 10,000 mfe owners have on here with wood consumption, especially compared to another conventional if you owned one. I've got into a long discussion on one of the Facebook pages about the efficiency of his 10000. He went from an old cb boiler to the 10000 and thinks he may be using more wood. He has adjusted the flapper under the fan to only open less than 50% because this helped his old cb not burn as much wood. He also has his differential set to 5 degrees because "you burn way more wood with a large differential". I can't get him to even entertain using a 20 or 15 degree differential because he says at 160 water temp his forced hot air fan in the house runs twice as long. I am just trying to help this guy out since I know the mf should be much more effiecient than that old
Cb but he is trying to run it for what kept his wood use down on the cb. As far as th flap goes it says nothing in the manual about changing that from th factory setting. Does everyone else
Play with this setting?

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
Re: 10,000 mfe
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »

A 5 degree diff will definitely burn more wood, the unit short cycles too much to burn clean. A natural draft Classic will run a long time even with a 5 F diff. And the classic had no heat exchange area on the exhaust so it had to run choked down.
I've seen customers who switch from a flat bottom no grate unit to a grated unit sometimes have loading issues. They load the wood too tight on the grate or let ash build up and either way it chokes. Then it rolls thick smoke and the efficiency drops out the bottom.

I'd open up the draft to get a clean burn (that unit needs all the 1TDR3 fan can put out), 15 F diff, clean the grate off (if needed), load the wood so air can blow by the front and mix and burn off gasses. You'd be amazed how much difference some experimenting makes.

Just some thoughts.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »

What I mean is every model has its nuances and you have to adjust.
Imagine running a G with no coals over the nozzle- etc.
A grated furnace compared to a nongrated natural draft unit is very different.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »

Yoder, I have tried to impart some of those ideas on him and you made some great points from expierence. Is that one of your family members that runs that outdoor boiler page ( Lauren yoder)? Are you a part of it? You should try to help him out, he wants no part of my help.

shepherd boy

• OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 10:55:43 AM »

You always get people that say they burn more or less wood when switching to a different model or brand. But long burn times and more draft on a MFe or C model should burn cleaner and more efficient. The old MF leaves to much heat in the stack and you need to turn the air down.                   E. yoder is brother to Lauren who used to be a dealer.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 11:01:01 AM »

Lauren Yoder is my brother. Is that a facebook page? I've never gotten on facebook yet. Haven't seen the page, I guess.
Not sure when I will... I barely have time to check this and hearth but I think it's worth it for the knowledge shared back and forth.
Hearth isn't quite as friendly toward outdoor furnaces tho. It's hard for folks with OWBs to get help on there.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:49:31 AM »

Hearth has a lot of smart guys and they love their euro gasser batch burners. Te batch burners aren't for everyone. I send anyone looking for owb help over to this site. Then te hearth guys get butt hurt which is funny. The guy on the Facebook page says he is a member on this site but didn't tell me his name on here. I told him to come to this site and ask other 10000 owners about what they do but he has no interest in listening to me.

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 04:10:13 PM »

I have a lot of respect for the knowledge that is there on hearth. I've read on there a lot and used info from there in my work. It would be nice to have more outdoor gasser folks on there tho. Probably will eventually.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 05:22:50 PM »

Eventually there might be. A lot of the guys don't realize how clean and efficient the epa phase 2 owb are.

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 05:49:53 PM »

There's a leftover stigma from years ago that makes it an uphill journey to overcome. We need more guys with G series on there. Just about every one who has one loves it.
You have to see it to believe it. No comparison to a gasser from 10 years ago.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 06:18:27 PM »

Absolutely. I push the g series whenever I can. I think they hit the nail on the head with it and deserve to have good things said about it

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 09:30:31 PM »

There's a leftover stigma from years ago that makes it an uphill journey to overcome. We need more guys with G series on there. Just about every one who has one loves it.

I used to get a lot of people that were interested in gassers and I told them they didn't want them. Now with the G series it is just the opposite. Unfortunately the higher price doesn't help trying to convince them it is the way to go.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 09:52:49 PM »

I used to get a lot of people that were interested in gassers and I told them they didn't want them. Now with the G series it is just the opposite. Unfortunately the higher price doesn't help trying to convince them it is the way to go.

Live in a state that decided not to enforce the EPA law?

Indiana you don’t have a choice unless its strictly commercial building being heated and even then I’d prefer people go with a G series unless even the G400 isn’t going to be enough.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 09:59:07 PM »

They say they won't enforce it here but I don't sell conventional for residential use anyway. I am assuming people that aren't interested in a gasser either don't buy anything or find a dealer that will sell them a conventional.

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 06:56:31 AM »

I had a dealer offer to sell me a conventional owb before I bought my g-200 in Nov 2015. He said he could sell it to me as a coal stove , which is funny because there are no approved coal burners in MA. I didn't know how hard my town was going to enforce the new laws , but they did give the guy down the street a hard time. In the end I'm am very happy I went the direction I did. Couldn't be happier. Most of my friends burn more wood in their woodstove  ;) and still have to pay for hot water.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.
Pages: [1] 2 3