Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Black Ants  (Read 3981 times)

Bourboncask

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Classic Edge
  • OWF Model: 760 HDX
  • North Branch MN
    • View Profile
Black Ants
« on: April 05, 2017, 04:45:46 AM »

What do you guys do when you split a round open and it's full of dormant black ants??  I usually toss it off to the side for fear those buggers will infect the rest of my wood pile.  Is this warranted?  Or are they so weak from hibernation to find a new home and just die off?   
Bourboncask

“The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whisky. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.”  - Winston Churchill

Stihl Farm Boss 290
Northstar 24 ton splitter
1980's ish M700 Bobcat
A good back, and a bad ankle

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Black Ants
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 04:50:26 AM »

Throw it in the stove of course!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 06:30:36 AM »

Ditto.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 05:39:56 PM »

Don't forget to soak them in butter and then add a pinch of salt and pepper...good and tasty that way.   :)
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »

[/quote]

Don't forget to soak them in butter and then add a pinch of salt and pepper...good and tasty that way.   :)
[/quote]

My cousin brought some roasted ants up from Colombia. I passed...
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Bourboncask

• Training Wheels
  • North Branch MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 11:27:09 PM »

If I had a stove at the moment, I would toss them in.  As of right now, I'm just building up my wood supply for when I'm able to get one.  I thought it was going to be this spring, but things came up.  So, next year hopefully.  Until then, I'm cutting and splitting and stacking and learning.  I guess I'll just continue to toss ant infested rounds off to the side.  I should have known that I'm probably one of the few people associated with this site that don't own a OWB yet.  In hind sight, you guys wouldn't share in my ant dilemma now would you....  ::)
Bourboncask

“The water was not fit to drink. To make it palatable, we had to add whisky. By diligent effort, I learned to like it.”  - Winston Churchill

Stihl Farm Boss 290
1980's ish M700 Bobcat

ST98

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 05:38:11 AM »

After I built my pole barn I started dumping wood about 75' from it, maybe 20 cord of rounds. One day I was in the pole barn and noticed the pressure treated 6x6's had holes in them. The ants were everywhere doing damage and they came from that wood. I got on amazon and ordered two different baits, sugar and then protein I think. After a month no more ants.  It's said they will branch out a about 300 feet from their nest and do damage.

Now they go in the stove no matter how slow they move. I have about 40 cord stacked and bait the piles every year. I read they don't eat the wood, they do it to make nests.

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 06:18:36 AM »

If I had a stove at the moment, I would toss them in.  As of right now, I'm just building up my wood supply for when I'm able to get one.  I thought it was going to be this spring, but things came up.  So, next year hopefully.  Until then, I'm cutting and splitting and stacking and learning.  I guess I'll just continue to toss ant infested rounds off to the side.  I should have known that I'm probably one of the few people associated with this site that don't own a OWB yet.  In hind sight, you guys wouldn't share in my ant dilemma now would you....  ::)
Sorry, I was kinda rude.
I dumped a mix of borax and sugar around the house and it killed ants pretty good. Never worried about it in my firewood but I'm not taking it inside.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

MScott

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL 4030
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 07:37:11 AM »

If the furnace is burning, I usually will just throw them in. Most of the time, however, when I'm splitting, the furnace is dormant so I just place the blocks split side up on top of the pile so the birds can get at the ants. Later I move the blocks to my "early wood" pile with the pine and other soft wood so that it can be burnt in the fall. Have'nt tried eating them with or without butter, salt or pepper. :)
Eastern Ontario
Sthil MS 290
Sthil MS 180 C
Polaris ATV
Bush Buddy trailer
Wallenstein wood splitter

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 10:28:35 AM »

A lot of our red oaks here are full of ants , black ones red and black ones. Sometimes you split a log and you might think there are more ants than wood.Too many to put them all in the stove at once so I let them live in the wood pile. Never seen them near the house about 90' away. In the spring we usually mix some ant poison and powdered sugar and put it out along the stone wall behind the wood pile. Never see any crawling around.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »

That's a great question and I haven't even actually thought about it.  I usually knock of ants out the best I can then throw the split logs on the wood pile.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

hockeyguy

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: eclassic e2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 07:52:20 AM »

I keep a can of Raid ant spray near my splitting area. Just give them a quick spray and brush them off.
Ducati Multistrada
Polaris Sportsman 500
Central N.H.

Bourboncask

• Training Wheels
  • North Branch MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 05:14:41 AM »

Sorry, I was kinda rude.
I dumped a mix of borax and sugar around the house and it killed ants pretty good. Never worried about it in my firewood but I'm not taking it inside.

No worries E Yonder - It was funny.

As of right know, I do burn wood in the house (large fireplace) during the winter, so I'm constantly bring wood inside. I get mosquitos flying around my house Dec - Feb which is weird for people who come over and a mosquito goes flying buy.  They seem to not bother us at all though.  Never been bit by one.  They just fly around looking drunk wondering "why the hell am I awake so soon?!?" 

I have a dog that runs free in the yard, so I don't like the baiting them with sugar poison idea.  I'll get me a can of Raid and go that route.  Thanks guys.  Simple solution for a simple problem.  Sometimes it just takes another set of eyes and brain to come up with it.   
Bourboncask

Stihl Farm Boss 290
1980's ish M700 Bobcat

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 07:38:39 AM »

I found some in a cherry log I processed yesterday, by time they go thru the processor, the chute, up the elevator, get dumped on the truck, then dumped on the slab, then shoved in a pile with the skid steer they are either dead or waving a little white flag.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Bourboncask

• Training Wheels
  • North Branch MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 10:46:59 AM »

I suppose  ;D
Bourboncask

Stihl Farm Boss 290
1980's ish M700 Bobcat