Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Looking for first outdoor wood boiler  (Read 6608 times)

morfem

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for first outdoor wood boiler
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 08:24:25 PM »

Good call on the Polar Hondaracer. I overlooked that one.
I read an older post on this but I will raise the question again to see if anything changed.

The Polar and P&M gasification units look very similar.
Without to much bashing of the competition what advantage does one have over the other?
Portage and main BL 34-44

Indiana

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 09:19:05 AM »

Looking at your square footage if you want to keep the pole barn really warm you might need a G400, if the garage and pole barn are kept cooler a G200 might do it.
A lot of guys around here in VA do blowers in outbuildings and bump the temp back to save wood, then bump it up when working in them. Radiant will need to be kept a steady temp.
Still curious what tonnage the heat pumps are. The model # should have a # divisible by 12.
Oops, you did post the heat pump tonnage. I missed it, sorry.
Sizing of the boiler would depend a lot on how warm you intend to keep the pole barn and what burn times you are expecting. A G or GS 200 would be about perfect for the house and garage. 5.5 tons is not a heavy load on a G200. The pole barn could get burn times pretty short on a G200 though if it is kept at 70+ F.
How often you would be near the unit to throw on a few sticks of wood would factor in too.

I'm comparing Heatmaster models as that is what I am familiar with, hopefully that gives you a reference point as you browse the options.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:25:36 AM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

morfem

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 09:39:57 AM »

Just a guess since I do not have any heat in the shop now but I think somewhere around 60 would be comfortable to work in.

I have been seeing some info about hanging heaters in the shop so if I would want to get it a little warmer for a short time I could use them.

I work away from home so I wouldn't be able to add more wood until the evening.

Thanks for the info.
Portage and main BL 34-44

Indiana

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 11:15:25 AM »

A local dealer could give better specific info after seeing it but I'm guessing you're into the low end of G400 territory.
Just must my guess.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 02:18:28 PM »

Just a guess since I do not have any heat in the shop now but I think somewhere around 60 would be comfortable to work in.

I have been seeing some info about hanging heaters in the shop so if I would want to get it a little warmer for a short time I could use them.

I work away from home so I wouldn't be able to add more wood until the evening.

Thanks for the info.

I keep ours 60-65, 70 if I’m painting. All depends on your insulation, some guys around here have built new shops and they are probably insulated at least twice as well as their homes.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 09:16:50 PM »

That is how my garage is as well. My garage is insulated about twice if not more than my house is.  My house is approaching 70 years and my garage is 4.  I keep the garage about 40 in the winter unless I'm in it, then I stock up the wood stove and turn it up to about 62.  Unless it is 40mph winds and negative wind chills having the garage at 40 or having the heat off is very little difference in wood consumption.  I maybe loose an hour of burn times in 24 hours having the garage at 40.
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

DeerMeadowFarm

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 08:20:06 AM »

...but I think I’d stay away from CB no matter the material, its not hard to find somebody complaining about CB not wanting to honor warranties.

Look no further than me!  >:(

Dieselwrencher

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
    • Scgreenheat.com
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 07:00:54 PM »

I sold mild steel stoves for several years,but after seeing what happens to a mild steel gasser I wouldn't even think about one unless it was 409ss
Heatmaster and Crown Royal dealer for southern mn/northern ia

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 08:32:33 PM »

Mine are actually on the floor, one is under the bolt bin pointing towards the lathe, Bridgeport and drill presses. The other in under the refrigerator that holds all my welding supplies, it points at the welding bench, the last one is in the back corner of the shop, just a old furnace I stripped and placed a HX in, rotated the blower so it blows across the floor instead of out the top, I pull air thru the filters, then the HX and run the hot air thru the blower with no issues, the other two heaters also have filters.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 06:15:21 AM »

I sold mild steel stoves for several years,but after seeing what happens to a mild steel gasser I wouldn't even think about one unless it was 409ss

Funny, I as well sold mild steel stoves for years, in fact I probably sold the first steel gasser in Maine and 13 years later it is still in operation, because of my background and the fact that I as well sold the same brand as you not so long ago I have to say that they are a good stove BUT they as well have their issues and limits so just because you feel that stainless makes the best boiler does not make it so!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 02:27:13 AM »

Mine are actually on the floor, one is under the bolt bin pointing towards the lathe, Bridgeport and drill presses. The other in under the refrigerator that holds all my welding supplies, it points at the welding bench, the last one is in the back corner of the shop, just a old furnace I stripped and placed a HX in, rotated the blower so it blows across the floor instead of out the top, I pull air thru the filters, then the HX and run the hot air thru the blower with no issues, the other two heaters also have filters.
I've found blowing the air across the floor works quite well too. Much better than a heater way up high. I've never seen the hot air pulling the hot air through the blower hurt anything.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:29:54 AM by E Yoder »

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 07:26:48 AM »

I've found blowing the air across the floor works quite well too. Much better than a heater way up high. I've never seen the hot air pulling the hot air through the blower hurt anything.

Other than with the furnace I loose a little floor space. I screwed a piece of 3/4 plywood to the top of it, both battery chargers sit on top as the shelf that holds any spare batteries is right next to the furnace.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Pages: 1 [2]