Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wood storage  (Read 7510 times)

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
Wood storage
« on: July 24, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »

So I felt I needed to replace the roof on my wood storage lean-to this year since it looked like any decent amount of snow would take it down. It was even rotted more than I thought. I had built it with used aluminum roofing and power poles about 25 years ago. The wood and poles are mostly rotted now and the aluminum has more holes in it than you can shake a stick at.

I had planned on putting up a new metal shed type roof using the existing poles but most of them would need replacing also. I am wondering how many people store their wood outside not under a wood shed type building and how it works for you. I always put my wood up on pallets and I do have large billboard tarps to cover the wood with if I don't put the shed back up. My wood boiler shed holds almost a half years wood supply by itself. 

If I did rebuild the wood shed it would probably cost somewhere north of $700 to do for materials alone. Not sure how many years of wood burning I have left in me so that's my dilemma. Pallet and tarps or rebuild wood shed?   
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Wood storage
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:47:49 PM »

I find that pallets and tarps work very well, I store the wood down back out of sight from the wife and place one pallet at a time directly in front of the boiler loading door.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 11:29:05 PM »

That's what I was thinking about also Slim. Do you just stack it or do you have sides on your pallets?
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 12:51:41 AM »

I built my own 8 foot long 3 feet wide, I used 3/8 3x4 web angle iron on the ends and welded 1 1/4 pipe for stake pockets for easy stacking when not in use. I'll try to get some pics posted.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

DeerMeadowFarm

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »

I use pallets, 4' x 4' with simple sides from rough cut 2 x 4"s. I have a set of forks for the front as well as the rear of my tractor. I bring the pallet right in the woods or wherever I am processing the tree and I leave it there to season. In the fall, I consult my pallet "date filled" list and map (it gets crazy after a while; I number my pallets and map their location on the property). I then move the most seasoned 20 or so to a location I can get at even if we get buried with snow. I stack them 2 pallets high which minimizes ground space/area required. Then every week or so I move one of the pallets right up to my OWB door. So far (my second season doing this) it's been great!

I'd post pictures but photobucket won't let me anymore and it's not that easy to post them directly here.  :-\

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:12:14 AM »

I'd post pictures but photobucket won't let me anymore and it's not that easy to post them directly here.  :-\

Yah, me thinks Photobucket wants to go out of business. No way or anybody that I know will pay $400 a year just to be able to link pictures from there.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

DeerMeadowFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 06:51:39 AM »

Yah, me thinks Photobucket wants to go out of business. No way or anybody that I know will pay $400 a year just to be able to link pictures from there.
Any other options Marty? I'm not up on all the photo hosting sites...

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 08:08:36 AM »

Any other options Marty? I'm not up on all the photo hosting sites...

Not sure atm, their will be either a massive class action lawsuit filed against Photobucket for basically extortion or they will get away with it, if it stands as legal than I look for other sites to do the same. If nothing else they should have left it alone and let all existing photos still be linked to with a membership fee for any new photos to be linked to, that’d be perfectly legal then.

I’ve already had to fix several things on my website as the links were broke to the pictures. I have another forum I help moderate as well that I literally have hundreds of broken photo links in just my posts that no longer work, started to fix em, then quit, gonna wait to see what plays out.

I have all my photos on Photobucket as a backup, of course I also have them all stored on iCloud and Facebook (set to private albums) as well as a time capsule at home plus another external drive that I back up to every month or so, so basically I have em backed up four different ways from Sunday. I believe I have around 9000 photos. Ever tell you about the time I got to recreate 3 years worth of taxes when the hard drive crashed on one of my PC’s and the supposed on line back up didn’t work?

I still have boxes and boxes of slides the in laws gave me to try to get converted to digital.

Anyways, if your an Amazon Prime member they offer basically the same thing as Photobucket, I’m gonna start messing around with the for now.

Another option is to store em on Facebook, so far thats free and I haven’t hit a storage cap yet. If nothing else might be worth it for now to create a Facebook account and make zero friends and just use it for storage, I’m pretty sure thought they have something in place though to keep people from burning up their storage.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:24:09 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

DeerMeadowFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 09:23:03 AM »

schoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 11:28:54 PM »

A friend has hundreds of pieces of thin wall pipe (3/16" or so) about 9 1/2' long he said I can have all I want. Just ordered a plasma cutter to build racks 6'x4'x4' out of the pipe. Each rack should hold about 3/4 of a full cord, about all my tractor can handle, and I'll make them so I can stack them 2 high. I'll use heavy cattle fence panels for the floor and ends.

Wood will go right from the splitter to the racks and moved by my tractor after that. Should save 2 to 3 hands on steps for me depending on how many years of firewood I'm ahead.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 07:46:29 AM »

A friend has hundreds of pieces of thin wall pipe (3/16" or so) about 9 1/2' long he said I can have all I want.

Wish I was was closer, that pipe would work great for a firewood tumbler, even though I think I’m going to use angle iron as the 90 degree edge would face in and might knock more bark off.

This system looks really slick. takes a $1.19 to buy one euro and bags are 18.40 euro. Shipping would be the killer even at roughly $22 a bag. Would definitely need my tumbler built to keep the trash out.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 08:25:18 AM »

I sell firewood so I burn all of the "junk" I can't sell - partially rotten stuff, big nasty knots I can't split, cutoffs, what little pine I come across, and pretty much any sweetgum I get so I don't have to split it.  Being junk wood, it's such a pain to stack and just soaks up rain water and rots if thrown into a pile so it goes on pallets under a carport - well actually 3 carports linked together.  That is kept at my mom's farm where I process all of the firewood.  I then stack 6 pallets worth at my house right by the boiler and cover it with an old pool liner which works great - never gets holes in it and is heavy enough so the wind doesn't mess with it too bad.  Most of the wood sits at least 2 years before burning. 

DeerMeadowFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 09:25:07 AM »

It's an awesome system. We saw it at the NY Woodsmen's Days show in Booneville NY last month.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »

Thy give a weight the bags will hold, wonder how that translates into cords? I’d be cutting them 23-24” long so you’d have more voids while filling it.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »

Looks like about a face cord in each. I would guess 24" would only hold 1/4 cord if that.
Pages: [1] 2