Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Intermittent problem with oil furnace  (Read 5683 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent problem with oil furnace
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 06:27:30 AM »

The first thing I'm going to do is test and clean the photocell.  If that doesn't rectify it, I'll recheck the electrode gap to be sure they are correct.  When it skips, it sounds very much different than it does when it flames out so I'm somewhat confident that it's not a fuel supply issue.   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 06:07:20 PM »

It could be water in oil but with just changing tank filter may-be not. It could be air in line may-be when you changed
filter it was not tight and or fittings got Jared or line not tight when you changed things. These are some simple things that can be checked that could make it skip. You say it was running all summer fine if by chance you have in ground tanks and plenty of rain water could get in somehow??? You just gotta keep playing around and checking all
the little things. It might even be the transformer working but skipping at times. When ya do find out let us know what it was.

whitepine - I can't remember if I mentioned that the tank is in the basement of my house.  The filter canister at the tank is nice and tight.  The fuel line at the fuel pump on the Beckett burner is nice and tight.  If air is being introduced into the fuel line, where could it possibly be getting in?  I ran my screwdriver across the transformer springs and I had a nice bright arc about an inch long.  I called my HVAC guy and he's so busy that he isn't available until early December.  I'm thinking of calling the oil company to come out and have a go of it but man they charge an arm and a leg.  This is driving me nuts.  Roger     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 07:29:57 PM »

Hi Roger
I am also curious as to what your issue may be.  I input your problem and tried some google fu and most suggestions seemed to revolve around water in the oil.  One person, who did suggest they had an issue similar to yours, had a bad pump gasket.  In case you haven't seen it, here is the link below.  Hope you find the problem.  You might consider a used burner.  So many people are going off oil, at least in my area, that burners are a dime a dozen.  I had a perfectly good Beckett burner given to me a month ago, which I promptly gave to someone else. 

http://www.contractortalk.com/f6/sputtering-oil-burner-18277/

Muskoka, Ont

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 07:30:39 PM »

Roger I'm thinking there is a mesh filter under the four bolts on the pressure pump. Mine plugged before. That is after the filter. Four bolts n brake cleaner.
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 04:06:08 AM »

Boilerhouse, smokeless, Thank you for the suggestions.  I have treated the oil so I kind of figured I can rule out moisture in the oil but one never knows.  I checked the screen on the pump and it was nice and clean with exception of a few tiny particles.  But, I now have bigger issues.  One of the times it skipped, the relay sounded like a rapid fire, firearm and then everything went quiet.  I checked the circuit breaker, it's working okay, I cycled the on/off switch to see if it would reset and nothing.  The only noise I hear is from the transformer in the zone controller.  As a test I decided to turn on up the heat to see if that made any difference, it didn't, nothing happened; the burner did not run, the circulator for the zones did not run, nothing happens.  I fear that the rapid misfire may have done something to the triple aqua stat (Honeywell 8151).  If I didn't need to be at work for an important meeting with the bosses, I'd stay home do some troubleshooting, but this is a meeting I cannot miss.  So, I have a call into my HVAC guy begging that he make room for me today to get this thing going and get me hot-water.  He knows how to get into my home without me being there.  I hope to have an update for you guys this evening.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 06:24:03 PM »

Okay, I have an update and hopefully the final time.  The HVAC guy stopped by while I was at work and it was the cell relay (Honeywell 8184) that went bad.  They changed it out for a new one and all seems to be working fine for now.  I say "for now" because I thought I had fixed the problem before only for it show it's ugly ahead again.  But, it's nice to have hot-water again.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 06:33:52 PM »

It's nice to be able to "do it yourself" also nice to be able too get a guy there asap.

Western Maine

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 04:55:19 AM »

It's great that when you call with no heat, he'll send of his guys over as soon as one gets some free time to fix it.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire
Pages: 1 [2]