Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: The use of ashtrol  (Read 4367 times)

adamant

• View Profile
    • my pic site
The use of ashtrol
« on: October 15, 2017, 01:12:38 PM »

the use of ashtrol.

1.  does it really help to keep the creosote down?
2. If some say that you can use regular Barn lime, is it the white chalky stuff or the stuff you use on a lawn like pelletized lime?
3. Do you just toss it on the  wood in the fire?
4  . If it is Barn lime or pelletized lime how much do you use and how often? Thank you
gas forced hot air/gas hot water
buck supreme insert 2/14/1991 to 2/21 2007 (rip)
LOPI freedom bay insert. (present)
central boiler classic 6048

NEW JERSEY

what we do on the weekends
http://community.webshots.com/user/adamant117

http://adamant.pictiger.com/

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
Re: The use of ashtrol
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »

Wood ashes + moisture creates an acid and Ashtrol is a ph modifier that will help neutralize it.  I toss a scoop of it in the stove every couple days. One day I'll throw it directly on the coals, the next time I'll throw it on the sides and back of the firebox. I try to cover the entire inside of the stove over the course of a week or so.
Not sure if it does anything for the amount of creosote the stove makes though. I think that comes mainly from when the stove is idling and the smoke condenses on the cooler firebox walls.  I think its main purpose is to keep acids from forming if the inside of the stove becomes damp
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 07:22:35 PM »

Wood ashes + moisture creates an acid and Ashtrol is a ph modifier that will help neutralize it.  I toss a scoop of it in the stove every couple days. One day I'll throw it directly on the coals, the next time I'll throw it on the sides and back of the firebox. I try to cover the entire inside of the stove over the course of a week or so.
Not sure if it does anything for the amount of creosote the stove makes though. I think that comes mainly from when the stove is idling and the smoke condenses on the cooler firebox walls.  I think its main purpose is to keep acids from forming if the inside of the stove becomes damp

Spot on, a guy that used to work for us would just buy the finest ag lime he could find…
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Superwd6

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: EClassic 2300
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 08:46:32 PM »

Lime is now what I use in my Eclassic 2300. It's starting it's 9th year so I'm not worried about warranty. I put ashtrol on the sides every day and on the wood every couple of days for the first 7 years and also had dry sides from fire going out (long work hours). Last year I done some tests with ashtrol, lime, acid and steel wool in some cups with water so now I don't buy ashtrol anymore  ;)