Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ok so I got a call from one of my customers last night  (Read 7781 times)

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Ok so I got a call from one of my customers last night
« on: November 05, 2017, 06:27:07 AM »

Yup you guessed it, a HeatMaster G 400  ( don't ban me yet Marty. ) I'm actually wondering if anybody else has experienced this before, I'm on the road and won't be able to help him until probably Monday evening. So anyways he bought last fall and ran well all winter, boiler was cleaned this spring, he fired back up a few days ago and all was working as it should but last night he called and said that the shaker handle would not move and that there is lots of smoke coming from the damper plate up front, I'm thinking plugged tubes but he says they were working fine yesterday morning, last night one crank on the handle and they jammed solid. I did have an issue with a G 400 last year that the locking coupler on the shaft loosened up and would not move the shaft but it never stuck the mechanism that lifts the turbulators, oh and by the way, this customer says the turbulators seem free and can be lifted slightly without the handle, it seems the issue is in the shaft.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: Ok so I got a call from one of my customers last night
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 07:24:26 AM »

Why would he have smoke from the damper plate unless the hx tubes were plugged up? Sounds like on the surface that this is a simple mechanical problem where the shaft has loosened or bound up on something but smoke from the damper plate because of an obstruction?

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:36:36 AM »

He also is one of those guys that put his unit inside the shed and without now taking the chimney down there is no way to pull the turbulators out.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
Re: Ok so I got a call from one of my customers last nigh
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 08:58:07 AM »

Some people enjoy having to struggle through life I think! I have learned that you should always plan for how to fix something when it breaks because it will be eventually break. Does it have a metal roof that he can pop some panels off and do it that way? I have never looked how th shaft is connectd to the turbs but cant you slide the shaft out of the body and then see if the turbs lift up without binding up? They don't lift to high when you shake the handle.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 09:26:07 AM »

I had an issue with my G400 as well except the handle slid clear out. Then they used your standard allen head set screws and they came loose. Popped the rear cover off got the shaft lined back up and slid in then had to cut a allen wrench down to get it in the hole as the screw pointed up and wasn’t enough room between the top of the chamber and the coupler. I seen on the later ones they ditched the allen screw in favor of a square head set screw, I’m guessing the screw backed out far enough to get jammed against the housing, unless something moved and now maybe the smoke bypass isn’t shutting properly?

Do you recall if this still uses the linkage between the shaker handle rod and the turbulators or is it the new style with a slot in the turbolators and no linkage?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 07:17:37 PM »

Ok, Please re read what you just posted Marty, put yourself in the customer's position, you spent $11,000 dollars last fall on the boiler alone, you probably are not happy, agreed!
 I think it it is the earlier model.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 07:38:38 PM »

Ok, Please re read what you just posted Marty, put yourself in the customer's position, you spent $11,000 dollars last fall on the boiler alone, you probably are not happy, agreed!
 I think it it is the earlier model.

Right…

I was trying to help, I even admitted I had something similar. I tried to give advice, yet I’m accused of thinking the customer doesn’t have a beef?

Depending on which design the handle is either it’s high enough in the housing a set screw that came loose could jam up against the housing, if its the newer style I don’t believe that’s possible as the shaft sits lower in the housing. Since you think its the earlier design with the shaft higher up and the linkage connecting the turbolators to the handle assembly I’m betting it’s a set screw. I had to loosen mine slightly to get it back together, so they weren’t quite tightened enough at the factory or I was a tad to vigorous on racking the handle, either way I think I red loctited mine upon reassembly

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:42:21 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 03:25:17 AM »

Ok Marty, I do apologize. I actually thought that you were dismissing it as a non issue and what you experienced sounds a lot like the one that I had,perhaps if they are watching then they will pay attention to a fix, I know the one that I experienced was not a lot of fun for me to fix?

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 08:58:22 PM »

I went on this customer support call. And found the ash was not removed from behind the bottom ceramic eventually plugging the heat tubes, and jamming the spirals from going back down. Cleaned out the creosote from the tubes with flex rod. Freed them up.
    showed the customer how his furnace works and how to clean behind the ceramics.
  Replaced the air box and damper plate. Showed him what air passages go where and for what reason.
   Cleaned the bottom ceramic, And clearance. Ran the furnace which ran flawlessly again. Good to go for another winter.
   Did not know this furnace was posted on. Until today. 12/4/17.
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 09:39:04 PM »

I’m confused. You said that the build up of ash hung the turbs up and didn’t allow them to return down jamming them up. Then you said you cleaned out the creosote. Creosote from where? And what was the creosote from?

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 04:44:18 PM »

I’m confused. You said that the build up of ash hung the turbs up and didn’t allow them to return down jamming them up. Then you said you cleaned out the creosote. Creosote from where? And what was the creosote from?

:post:
Western Maine

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »

If the ash blocks the bottom of the heat exchange tubes the blocked tube collects ash and moisture. There's no heat to keep it clean. Then the turbulators stick.
That's my guess.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 04:58:43 PM »

Interesting.

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 05:02:12 PM »

how often do you guys clean the bottom reaction chamber out? is the tool that is supplied all you meed to get in the far back? i have just been using the tool that was supplied and emptying out the lower every saturday.

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 05:39:37 PM »

I remove ashes after each cord. I get about 3 gallons Of ash if I were to guess. The half moon tool that is for the reaction chamber horse shoe is all I was given. It doesn't get behind the refractory well. I have seen a tool that has a piece of steel bent in an L shape for getting behind the refractory. I don't know if I was suppose to get one of those or not. I just pull everything I can with the refractory tool. Mine doesn't seem to build up much ash directly behind the horseshoe. I vacuum this area out at the end of the season. I will get around to welding up a L tool one of these days.
Pages: [1] 2