Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Water temp up then down  (Read 2224 times)

loneryder

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
Water temp up then down
« on: November 27, 2017, 10:40:16 AM »

I have a CB 5036 and this winter the water temp is all over the place. One time it will be high. Next time it will be low.  Sometimes it is at normal.  Anybody know what would cause this??

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Water temp up then down
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 11:01:07 AM »

Could be a lot of different things. What are the actual temps you are seeing and when is this happening in the cycle?

loneryder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »

I neglected to say that temp range is 165-175.  I can't see any pattern to the temp and water level.  I don't think that temp range would affect the water level. It never has before.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 04:56:52 AM »

So your temp "all over the place" is referring to it's normal 165-175 swing or what am I missing here? They come preset with a 10 degree differential so the damper opens at 165 and closes at 175. That's what regulates your fire and ultimately water temp. Water level will go up slightly as temp rises because heating water causes it to expand

loneryder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 06:05:01 PM »

I'm sorry, I really misspoke. I meant to say water level.  In the sight tube it fluctuates above the normal line and then halfway to the normal line when the temp is between 165-175.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 06:49:26 PM »

I'm sorry, I really misspoke. I meant to say water level.  In the sight tube it fluctuates above the normal line and then halfway to the normal line when the temp is between 165-175.

I'm not terribly familiar with Classics, but I do often wonder why they don't want them full. The open steam space on top can, and will, rust. Have you considered filling it to the top and letting whatever boils out at high temp be your level? I added on to the system for a guy with a 6048 a couple weeks ago and after it showed full on the sight tube we still added another few minutes worth of water. Stainless is less of an issue, but with mild steel you don't want any air space on top

loneryder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 08:40:21 PM »

I never thought of that. I wonder how much more water it would hold??  Might require more additive.