Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: heatmaster mf10000e boiling?  (Read 3748 times)

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
heatmaster mf10000e boiling?
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:59:33 PM »

It sounds like my water is boiling during the burn cycle.  180 off with 10 degree swing.  The boiler water temp never goes over 182 on the gauge.

While listening to it, it sounds like it boils right where the fire heads up and over the deflecting plate at the top of fire box.  This makes sense because the heat all has to come forward toward the door of stove, then up and over the plate and then to the back of the stove, up into heat exchange tunnel and back toward front of stove then up the chimney.

So,  where it hits the top of the firebox, there is only a couple inches of water separating the firebox and exhaust tunnel.

Has anyone else noticed this?  And for the experts out there, is it worth doing some engineering to return water toward this area to keep it from boiling?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:33:38 PM by racnruss »
Tree service Owner/Operator since 1997.  Central Iowa.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: heatmaster mf1000e boiling?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:32:20 PM »

I had noticed one time with low water temps in my C and a raging fire with 100% draft and too much wood, I had a weird knocking sound in that same area. That was with a 160 degree water temp on the gauge, I think it was too much heat in the firebox hitting the cold water and making it jump. Turned the temp up 5 degrees and never heard it again. What do you have on it for a pump/pumps? Any idea on total GPM movement through it? Low flow/poor mixing might be a contributing factor for you

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:44:49 PM »

Boiling water against steel is not good for the steel, it breaks it down over time. Like Darin said, what pumps/ any idea on flow rate?

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 03:01:05 AM »

The return nipple runs all the way to the front and dumps the water right there for that purpose. Sounds like low flow. I've seen a unit in the lab do localized boiling on low pump speed, turn it high and it stops. I'm sure quite a few do it during really high burns and I've never seen or heard of one damaged..I would imagine one would have turned up somewhere.  The old ones with the cross tubes did it a lot more.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

shepherd boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 03:03:04 AM »

I've noticed the same on my C375. I think I don't have enough circulation and need a recirc pump, at least I think I'll see if that makes a difference if we ever get a break. Crazy busy right now.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

wreckit87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 08:12:04 AM »

I've noticed the same on my C375. I think I don't have enough circulation and need a recirc pump, at least I think I'll see if that makes a difference if we ever get a break. Crazy busy right now.

Weird part was last year I had just a single pump moving 12 GPM and never heard it once. This fall I repiped some things and added a second pump to serve my shop instead of running it in parallel on the single pump, to get more flow to the shop, and this is the year I heard it. I'm moving 17 GPM this year and that's when it happened. Weird

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 08:22:22 AM »

I noticed it occasionally on mine.  But, it's typically when the ash pan is completely empty and all the air flow goes straight to the ash door and up into the fire right behind the loading door.  That pushes the bulk of the flame and heat straight up to that area.  Now, when I load, I make sure I put a couple pieces of wood parallel to the door to deflect that heat into the wood instead of up to the top of the firebox.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »

Yeah, very much depends where the flame is directed.

racnruss

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort gt-220 sold P&M Optimizer 250 sold now Heatmaster 10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »

thanks for the ideas.

Right now I just have one pump moving water to the house.  Next year I will have 2 pumps when I start heating the 40x60 barn.

But, Wreckit kind of killed the moving more water idea with his post.

Yoder, which return nipple runs up to the front of the stove for that area? Or is it both return ports.   Because I am returning to both return nipples right now.  Even though I only have one pump pulling off the Left Lower port ( looking at back of stove), It split the return to both upper ports.

Burning almost 100% oak that is dry and when it is cycling, it is really rocking.  It doesn't seem to matter how I load it, more front or more back, because the fire all concentrates in the same place going up over the plate. But I will take notice more now and pay attention.

I'll be back.

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 10:47:46 PM »

Do you have any way to make the return only to one port? I am wondering if the flow being split makes the water move too slow in that part of the stove. If you have a valve to test it, it would be interesting to hear if it makes any difference at all.

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 04:21:40 AM »

Both return nipples go to the front. I thought the same thing RSI said... Less velocity out the the end of the pipe using both.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:23:41 AM by E Yoder »

racnruss

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 07:13:20 AM »

Copy on the dual return.  I thought I was doing something smart by returning to both to distribute the water better.

I do have valves so I shut the top left.   Now I am pulling from bottom left and returning to top right.  I'm at work now but will report back when I have a chance to sit by the stove during a burn.  Thanks.

E Yoder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 07:20:10 AM »

:thumbup:
The two return pipes end fairly close together in the front above the firebox.